Stained Concrete floors

2,824 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Muzzleblast
TheAlarmGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
about to start building a house. we are considering Stained floors over tile or carpet, How cold is your house in the winter with this flooring.

Thank You.
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
bam02
AG
We just moved into a house with tile in our bathrooms. Last house had stained concrete. Just last night we were discussing how much colder the tile feels compared to the concrete. It isn't even comparable. We had the stained concrete for 5 years and never thought it was cold.
bdgol07
AG
Plan on having lots of carpets and rugs. I hated the stained concrete. The areas near doors were especially cold, I assumed because the slab was more vulnerable from the outside temps. We lived in it in Corsicana just south of Dallas
dodger02
AG
We have stained concrete. Is it cold in the winter? Yeah. Is it cool in the summer? Yep.

IMO, the super low maintenance, appearance, and cool floor temps during the summer far outweigh the cold in the winter.
aggie_wes
AG
We had them in our last house. They were chilly in the winter, but not too cold.

That said, my wife hated the stained concrete. I guess it just never felt very warm ordinating to her. Also they are HARD. I know it doesn't seem like there's be much difference between wood and concrete, but if you walk around barefoot on it all day you can tell a difference.
TX AG 88
AG
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE stained concrete in a house someday.

Seasonal rugs could help with the cold floors in wintertime. And definitely something cushioning for in the kitchen (or anywhere else you'd be standing for a long time.)
sklipes
To hijack, anyone have recs for someone to wax stained concrete in San Antonio?
brettag00
AG
If you choose that route, see if your concrete placement company will use a straight 5 sack mix design, works better for stained concrete and pour on a warmer day, not 40 degrees. But understand concrete always cracks, and not always in the best possible areas.
Muzzleblast
Mine isn't cold. It can be somewhat slick though. I have some rugs around especially at the entrance doors to keep grass out. Since I live on a farm that is pretty much impossible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.