Attaching Pergola to the Roof

41,210 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by psalerno001
Cru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to attach a pergola to my roof with the goal to only use two support posts and not four. I'd prefer to use two in order to not have posts impeding visibility and usability of the porch.

After googling, this is what I've come up with. Am I missing anything from an engineer/design standpoint. I certainly don't want to ruin the roof or cause any type of water damage when it does rain.

or

Nor7
AG
That third picture looks like the best option. Your roof will stay water proof because you won't be puncturing shingles and you still get a solid mounting base.
Absolute
AG
Definitely the third. 1 and 2 are long term problems waiting to happen.
tamuags08
AG
That seems like it will be a big pain when you go to have your roof replaced.
Rexter
check your local taxing authority to see if your taxes will rise due to it not being a separate structure.
Absolute
AG
Honestly, I think it is better all around if it isn't attached to the roof. But if you have to attach it, definitely do not do either option one or two. I see those often and they almost always cause problems. Haven't seen option 3 in real life before, but from the picture it looks reasonable and least problematic.
htxag09
AG
When we got ours we were advised by every company we talked to not to attach it to the roof/house.....
stridulent
AG
What is the appropriate minimum distance that the pergola should be away from your house when not attached (i.e. so wind does push it against the house, etc). Will probably be building my own pergola in the fall.

[This message has been edited by stridulent (edited 7/31/2014 11:02a).]
Chazz03
AG
Do you have the eave height to go under the eave and still have decent head room?
Cru
S
chazz, I don't due to another roof line coming in on it. The goal for me was to avoid having two posts taking up good porch area and obstructing television views.
Chazz03
AG
Cantilever??
Nor7
AG
You guys should check out this website. Lots of cool plans for the DIY'er.

http://ana-white.com/plancatalog
Aggietaco
AG
Haven't seen a wood cantilevered pergola in person but I've seen several steel versions. A pergola at our place is in the 2-4 year plan and I'm planning HSS tube columns on drilled piers with wide flange beams for the horizontal members.
VitruvianAg
AG
^ brutalism much?
Cru
S
How would you attach option 3? Or make sure it stays in place and doesn't wear grooves in the shingles?
Aggietaco
AG
It's likely blind nailed beneath the top shingle.
bdgol07
AG
Screw a board to the soffet and build the pergola "unattached" and then shore it up by using metal clip to attach the pergola to the wooden block on the underside of the soffet.
Comeby!
AG
We are set up like the first one. There's actually a bracket that's hidden by the shingles on each rafter that keeps it in place. The finished product gives the appearance that the rafters are just sitting on the roof but it's not.
Splitag
AG
quote:
Screw a board to the soffet and build the pergola "unattached" and then shore it up by using metal clip to attach the pergola to the wooden block on the underside of the soffet.

This is the method I used on my house. Looks good and has held up for 10 years. I am thinking about replacing mine with a covered patio now. When it rains it takes 2-3 days for everything to dry off.
psalerno001
Splitag
Can you attach a picture of how your pergola is attached to the bottom of the soffet?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.