Recommendation for Patio Cover

34,129 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by speck3
aggieoldarmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am looking for someone to build a nice cover for my back patio in CS. Any recommendations?
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
Contact Steve Prater with Bright Additions. 979-575-1306
aggieoldarmy
Thanks!
JLSnel
My husband and I run a custom home and remodeling company based in Houston. We are currently doing work in College Station, so he could easily come by and take a look at what you're wanting to do. Give him a call--Matt 832-797-4320. The website is www.snellercustomhomes.com if you want to check it out.
aggieoldarmy
Great. I will be in touch after the first of the year to set a date for you to come check it out.
beam
AG
@JL Snel, I am looking for someone to give me an estimate and possibly do the work to replace the wood on our house with hardiplank. Does your company do this type of work?
JLSnel
@beam, we definitely do this type of work. Give Matt a call and he can set something up with you. 832-797-4320
Tree Hugger
AG
any recs for patio cover in DFW?
JLSnel
@Tree Hugger, You could try to contact Ben Caldwell at Shaddock Caldwell Builders & Developers. He is a fellow Ag and a good friend of ours; not sure if they do remodels, but worth checking. Hope that helps.
MEENag
AG
For DFW, Archadeck out of Arlington is just wrapping up our porch/patio extension and outdoor kitchen. They have been great to work with.
Tree Hugger
AG
We are about to start quote shopping for our back patio. Any one have any clue what it would cost to get something like this built? We are wanting it to look more like it was built with the house and not an add-on. I've already checked and we can get the same brick to match the rest of the house to use for pillars. We don't really want all the exposed cedar, just to match what is already there. Located in Mansfield.

[This message has been edited by Tree Hugger (edited 1/23/2012 2:22p).]
Bonfire1996
AG
Tree Hugger - We had a massive patio cover done with stamped concrete.

For the concrete - Figure around $10 per foot for a good stamp and stain.
For the cover - Figure around $22 per foot.

I used Deck Masters for the arbor and could not be more pleased, tied it right into the existing roof. I used a budget concrete company that I would not recommend.
Bonfire1996
AG
Also, if you want to incorporate a patio fireplace, I can sell you that for cheap.
Tree Hugger
AG
We had the concrete poured last summer, the Bony Dog was pleased with the improvements to his room:

Looking around yesterday I was pondering the idea of adding a fireplace, but the most logical place to put one would be in the corner on the left-hand side of the picture closest to the camera, but there is a tree a few feet away by that same corner (not visible in picture) and I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
For the cover - Figure around $22 per foot.

I think we are looking at a 14'x16' cover so that's just under $5,000. I was thinking $3k-$5K, but was hoping for the lower end of that, but also don't want to go too cheap (you get what you pay for). We are also considering building ourselves, but half of me just wants to cut a check and get it done.
Bonfire1996
AG
Greatness on the concrete, and that is a great size! Give Deck Masters a shout, they have built thousands of patio covers.

Depending on the height of the tree, there are only certain clearences you need to ensure safety from a fireplace. When you are finished with the cover, PM me and we can discuss further if you like. I can send you some brochures of outdoor fireplaces.
Tree Hugger
AG
Will do.
MEENag
AG
Just had a very large patio cover, concrete extension and outdoor kitchen completed at our house in Keller by Archadeck. They are located in Arlington. I got bids from them and Deck Masters. Deck Masters was way higher (at least 5k higher) and the salesman/estimator guy (Blake)left us with a bad impression.

We were quite pleased with Archadeck. Archadeck is big about making the addition look like it was part of the original structure. They'll do a computer mockup of your project so you can see what it will look like for a small fee. I think it is 1% of the project estimate which is deducted from your final cost, so it should be less than $100.
Tree Hugger
AG
Talked this over with the wife last night. We are going to start soliciting bids this week. I mentioned the fireplace idea and she likes it, but doesn't want anything too "bulky" that would overpower the space. I'm inclined to agree but her idea is more "chiminea" sized whereas I would want something just a little larger.

Bonfire: If you have anything you can email me I'd appreciate it. I was looking around on deckmasters website and didn't see much in the fireplace department that I think would work for what we want. My Username at aggie network dot com.
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
Just had a very large patio cover, concrete extension and outdoor kitchen completed at our house in Keller by Archadeck. They are located in Arlington. I got bids from them and Deck Masters. Deck Masters was way higher (at least 5k higher) and the salesman/estimator guy (Blake)left us with a bad impression.

I sent emails to Deck Masters, Archadeck, and Cowtown Covers this morning. "Blake" with DeckMasters called back and my over-the-phone first impression is not blooming with confidence in the guy. He mentioned his 17 years of experience several times, and gave me a throw-it-out-there estimate that is much higher that what I was wanting to spend. He was really pushing the cedar structures though, kept saying they were the most cost effective, but that isn't what I want.

[This message has been edited by Tree Hugger (edited 1/27/2012 12:06p).]
EllisCoAg
AG
Treehugger, you might try Johnny Brantley at 972-345-4272, he has built covers for my last 2 homes.
EllisCoAg
AG
ahhh, the dreaded double post

[This message has been edited by geno (edited 1/27/2012 1:15p).]
MEENag
AG
My issue with Blake was that he was very condescending. When he wasn't being condescending he lacked any personality at all. He did push the cedar structures for us as well, but we also weren't interested. When I mentioned that Deck Masters bid was a lot higher than Archadecks, I should've pointed out that they were very similarly priced on the structure. It was mainly the stone work where they differed. My first reaction to the pictures you posted that you wanted to mimic was that you were going to be spending a good bit more than 3-5k. Also, if you are talking about a stone fireplace, that alone will probably be more than 5k.

I recommend that you follow through with Blake just to have another bid to compare to. We had 4 companies out to bid and 2 of them wouldn't return emails or calls after the initial visit. I can only assume our project was beyond their capabilities

I dealt with Ray at Archadeck. He's a good guy. If you talk to him, tell him Jeff Spock sent you his way.
Good Luck.
Tree Hugger
AG
geno, I'll give him a call after i get these other guy's estimates

Thanks, for the info Meen
MCaggie02
TH - make sure to let us know what you find. We live in (on the edge of) Mansfield and are also interested in having a cover installed.

a TON of folks here in our neighborhood have had covers installed by DallasConstruction, and the one I can see from a sidewalk looked nice.
Tree Hugger
AG
Will do.

I've got Deck Masters cmoing out on Wednesday and Cowtown Covers on Thusday. I haven't heard from Archadeck yet. I'll also give geno's guy a call after I deal with these three.
txcazador

[This message has been edited by txcazador (edited 1/31/2012 7:19p).]
txcazador
Thanks Geno for the patio cover referral. This is Johnny Brantley with JLBHomeServices.com
Tree Hugger
AG
I'll probably give you a call tomorrow Johnny.

I just finished up with Blake from Deckmasters, didn't really like him, his product, or his prices. I really couldn't believe his "build it with cedar or build it with nothing approach". his solution to my request for no visible cedar on the exterior was to clad it with hardiplank at substantial additional cost.
jaggiemaggie
AG
@Bonfire:

can you email me username at gmail . I would like more info on outdoor fireplaces

Thanks
Tree Hugger
AG
Here is a summary of my visit with Deck Masters last night. As previously mentioned, he was REALLy pushing the cedar. Anything he constructs would be made of the cedar and if you want a different finish/appearance it would simply be clad over the cedar.

What I really want is a hip/ridge structure that looks like it is an extension of the existing structure, and not an add-on. Something not unlike this, but with hardy-clad columns or brick columns:

His estimate for this came out to $11,438. Base price was $7,412 for the structure with these add-ons:

Brick columns - $2,000
Pony wall - $450
Hardi fascia - $376
Hardi clad beam - $900
Permits/Design - $300

Second Choice would be a gable style structure, similar to this but without the "sunburst" structure, we would have a closed gable:

Full price for the gable was $10,412, base price was $6,836

add-ons:
Hardi-clad posts - $300
Pony wall - $450
Hardi fascia - $376
Hardi siding - $1,250
Hardi clad beam - $900
Permits/Design - $300

After I balked at the prices here Blake broke out the "NOW are you willing to consider a shed roof structure?" This was pretty much where he lost us completely. I looked through his shed roof catalog and didn't really see anything I really liked at all, but asked for pricing for comparison purposes.

Their base price for a shed roof at our square footage was $6,260 and would look something like this:

I think that looks like crap, pretty much an afterthought, lean-to add-on that was done at the lowest budget possible, even though its base price was not that much different than the others.

For a mere $600 more they will add a gable to make the structure look more like this:

his pricing for this structure came out like this:

Base - $6,260
add gable - $600
Pony wall - $400
side walls - $300
Permits/Design - $300
Total = $7,860

Now I've already realized that my initial estimate of $3K to $5K isn't going to cut it unless I'm building it myself, but based on his $6K+ estimate for even the most basic of structure (shed roof) and then almost $8K for what I would consider a compromise at best (the shed w/gable) either I'm completely out of touch with the pricing or he's just way off base with his pricing. I really got the impression that he was just trying to push the basic structure with no add-ons because that is not only the most "economical" for me, but moreso the most "profitable" for him. Looking at the pricing on some of the add-ons on the hip/ridge ($2K for two brick columns) really kinda confirms my suspicions.

OK, that's all my venting for now. I have another guy coming out at 4:30 today to have a look at it, I'll provide an update afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Tree Hugger (edited 2/2/2012 10:10a).]
Bonfire1996
AG
Keep posting. This is a great thread.
MEENag
AG
Have you heard from Archadeck yet? What you want is what they specialize in. If you haven't heard from him, I'll email the design consultant/VP to see what's up.
Tree Hugger
AG
No response from them at all.

I met with the guy from Cowtown Covers today and liked him a hell of a lot better than Blake from Deck Masters, hell he even had a few recommendations for hunting spots. He took notes and will get back with me for a quote in a couple of days.
Tree Hugger
AG
Met with a couple other local guys but I think we are going to go with Cowtown Covers. Scot's bid came in at $5,500 and his sketches are EXACTLY what I was looking for. It comes out to $22.90/sf and includes the electrical for the fan and light.

I just need to get the HOA to sign off on it and then off we go.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.