Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Placement

7,504 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by SJEAg
aggielax48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are planning to add new hardware to our kitchen cabinets, there is currently none on them. I was looking for some opinions on the placement. I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong, but just a consensus on what most people think looks the best.

This was my original plan before looking more into it, putting the knob in the bottom corner.

This might be where I'm leaning now after some research, about three inches up from the bottom.

I've seen this alot lately, but I think it looks strange. The knobs are placed much higher up, maybe a third of the way up the cabinet.

Any help would be appreciated.
txag2008
AG
I like the lower look as well.

Whatever you do, just make sure they are all the same. Make a template for your predrilled holes or go out and buy one for a few bucks.
Aggietaco
AG
I should've known they made a template for this. I spent who knows how long in the garage making one out of left over 1" boards.

I vote bottom corner for uppers, top corner for lowers and nat's-ass-middle for drawers.
YellAg2004
AG
I would vote on the second picture. The bottom picture does look funny with the knobs so high up on the top cabinets.

The first picture just looks too close to the countertop for me.
txag2008
AG
quote:
I should've known they made a template for this. I spent who knows how long in the garage making one out of left over 1" boards.

You can buy one, but I never have. What took you so long to build such a simple little guide? How complex did you make it?
Texas Ag Mom
I had to make this same decision a couple of years ago myself. I ended up going w/your second picture & I am very pleased & would do the same again. I used knobs on cabinets (upper & lower)& handles centered on drawers. Some of my drawers are large so on those I used two handles, like a dresser.
aggielax48
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we've decided on something similar to the second picture, which is where we were leaning before, and we do plan on doing pulls for the drawers. I bought the template, and decided to buy a few knobs to do our second bathroom upstairs to make sure we like the placement and also get a little practice before we do the kitchen.
SJEAg
AG
We had a hard time deciding as well and went with #2 and like it. We also went handles on the drawers and knobs on the cabinets (which was another tough decision).

If these are older cabinets, you'll need to make sure the doors are hung perfectly evenly as well. When we put knobs on ours...a few were in the same spot on the door but didn't quite match up because one door was slightly lower (by a few mm). Was almost impossible to notice until the knobs were on there as a reference point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.