Weak Slice Question

1,631 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So all of my shots w/ my irons are kind of weak, slices. It doesnt seem like I'm "getting all" of the ball. At one point I was hitting a 7i ~150... Now I can only hit it ~130 IF its straight. Ive tried to be aware of the clubface position through my downswing, leting my left forearm naturally rotate over through impact, etc. I think it may be a timing issue... Thoughts?
khaos288
AG
Sounds like you're casting. Those are the exact numbers I had with my 7 iron when I caught a bad habit of casting. Now I've got my lag back and better club speed than ever. I took a few lessons and got the skilz trainer that's basically a cheap orange whip.
BigHitterDaLama
Slice is either from swinging outside in (casting like mentioned) or open club face at time of impact.

Distance could be a # of things but lag could be on them, again mentioned.

Youtube videos of creating lag, holding it and swinging from the inside (right elbow dropping into your right side on downswing).
tandy miller
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

(right elbow dropping into your right side on downswing).
I'm a lefty, so it would be my left elbow, correct?

And the reason that I suspected timing was t fault was that it feels like I am firing my hips way too early, which led me to believe I was expending power prematurely, thus causing the loss in distance. Basically at impact my belt buckle is pointed ahead of the ball, and it makes me feel like hands are getting stuck behind
BigHitterDaLama
tandy miller said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

And the reason that I suspected timing was t fault was that it feels like I am firing my hips way too early, which led me to believe I was expending power prematurely, thus causing the loss in distance. Basically at impact my belt buckle is pointed ahead of the ball, and it makes me feel like hands are getting stuck behind
Correct on lefty.....left elbow.

In regards to buckle, you want it facing target/target line. But you never want to "slide" or "sway". I tend to slide or sway when I am not rotating my hips and coiling
Ag_07
AG
I was always under the impression that rotating and clearing your hips early helps with the slicing. It allows your hands to come down more inside and keep you from 'coming over the top' and getting that outside in swing path.

I used to struggle with the big slice but found that clearing my hips early helps me come straight down the line and fire with a bit more extension, rather than coming over the top and losing that power.
tandy miller
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

tandy miller said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

Correct on lefty.....left elbow.

In regards to buckle, you want it facing target/target line. But you never want to "slide" or "sway". I tend to slide or sway when I am not rotating my hips and coiling
So my hips should have already rotated past the ball at impact, correct?
BigHitterDaLama

Go to about 3:20......DJ

To answer your question, yes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.