Arnold Palmer passes away.

2,190 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgDotCom
Pignorant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedent
AG
Very sad. Such a genuine kind of guy.
bagger05
Bunk Moreland
Wow. So sad. I knew something had to be up lately with the way announcers were talking about him during coverage.

The King is dead.
BayAg14
Bobaloo
Great American! RIP, Arnie. He had a positive influence on my family. My youngest fell in love with the game at the Pamilla Beach course in Port A (Arnie design). Great memories with my youngest at that course.
Harry Stone
JR Ewingford
2016. Worst year ever for deaths.
Corporal Punishment
AG
RIP

tarrantcountyag
75AG
AG
R.I.P., Arnie....
Old Army
Cen-Tex
AG
Met him when he played in the Legends at Onion Creek. Nice guy and always talked to golf fans when he could.
AgDotCom
I was fortunate enough to meet him.

I wasn't a fan of his and I wasn't sure why he was a such a big deal because he was before my time. After meeting him though, I immediately knew why he was called The King.

I've met other famous people, including GHWB 41. Nobody comes close to the presence Arnold Palmer exuded. I'm not sure the world will ever be the same now that he's gone, and I'm quite sure I'll never meet anyone like him. I'm just thankful there was an Arnold Palmer while I was alive.
EllisCoAg
AG
Definition of cool, RIP
MarkPro
Would've liked to have met Arnie. Love all the stories about him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sad day. Great man that did so much for the game. And he did it the right way. Never came off as a hypocrite, curmudgeon, etc. (hello Tom Watson). Class all the way.
AggieIce
AG
quote:
R.I.P., Arnie....
Chipotlemonger
AG
What a loss. RIP, King.
Sid Farkas
AG
RIP arnie
1208HawkTree
AG
Honesty, I don't think I've ever respected and looked up to another person I've never met, more than Arnie.

R.I.P. Mr. Palmer.
saltydog13
AG
The Masters is gonna have a weird feel next year without him.
superbowlringd
My wife and I saw the Western Open in Chicago. We were walking between holes and both turned to the left at the same time, there was Arnie walking side by side with us he made eye contact and gave us his big smile and tipped his cap. We let him go ahead with his caddy following. Never forget it....................
jonj101
Just over a month ago I was posting on here how I finally got to meet him, and now he's gone. It seemed like he was declining, but despite that he still took time to meet new folks and came across as genuinely happy to do it.

Someone else on here before posted about how they met him early one morning before a tournament, and they tried to hurry off but he would have none of it and took a little time to meet them and chat with them in the parking lot. The guy just came across as genuine and sincere to a lot of people.
Agnzona
RIP.
VanZandt92
I work at Wake Forest and he is an alum. Very sad day in Winston-Salem. They have a statue of him on campus and his photo can be seen at country clubs and restaurants around town.
AgDotCom
quote:
Someone else on here before posted about how they met him early one morning before a tournament, and they tried to hurry off but he would have none of it and took a little time to meet them and chat with them in the parking lot. The guy just came across as genuine and sincere to a lot of people.
That was me. I had a chance encounter with him when he drove into the clubhouse parking lot at Oakmont the morning he would play his last round in the US Open. I simply said hello and good luck and kept walking. I'm not shy at all but I didn't want to invade his space like a lot of people. He asked "are you in a hurry"? I was taken completely off guard when I discovered what kind of person he was, which is odd because I had been a golf fan for about 9 years and for some reason had never heard anyone talk about it.

Later that evening was OJ's white bronco chase. It was quite an unusual day.

Iowaggie
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
His swing was far from a thing of beauty - best description I've heard (Gordo on the Ticket) is that it looks like he stands over the ball and then someome hooks him up to some jumper cables. But I like how it reflected the era where more players developed their own swing and what worked for them vs the largely cookie cutter golf academy swings you see now.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Most charismatic player of all time. RIP
KC_Ag14
AG
Heard Arnold say in an interview once, "People may not remember what you said to them, but they'll always remember how you made them feel when you said it." I do my best to apply that daily in my interactions with folks.. Lord knows I fail miserably. Thanks for the example Arnie, and for all you did for this game we love!
annie88
AG
quote:
Very sad. Such a genuine kind of guy.
AgDotCom
quote:
I do my best to apply that daily in my interactions with folks.. Lord knows I fail miserably.
No, you don't fail. There will be some times you fail to do it or fail to communicate it, like the rest of us. But for the times the message gets through, it will not be forgotten.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.