New golfer advice

4,550 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree on that description, bagger. Once you have your game in a place where you are reliably advancing it in the vicinity of the green in reg on most holes, then it's time to take a closer look at your game, what you do well, what you don't, and focus on reeling in the issues from there. Short game is a natural place to focus at that point for many golfers, but it's not necessarily automatic. Some players naturally have a decent feel around the greens and the strokes they are losing in larger #'s are still found elsewhere.
REMARCH11
AG
quote:
My opinion differs slightly:

1. Breaking 100 is about hitting fairways reliably advancing the ball and keeping it in play
2. Breaking 90 is about hitting greens being near the green in reg and being able to reliably get down in three
3. Breaking 80 is being on or near the green in reg and getting up and down down in two
4. Breaking 70 is all about putting

In my experience, breaking 100 was all about always moving closer to the hole and avoiding HUGE numbers.
Breaking 90 was combining the previous ability with a serviceable short game.
Breaking 80 was simply improving on those skills.
Haven't broken 70, but it'll take MAKING BIRDIES (which is mostly putting).
I can agree with that, I was just going off what helped me break 70.
Look shooting in the 70s is really easy if you understand what you are doing and what I mean by that, is if you understand your swing and play the percentages shooting in the 70s is a breeze. You have to be consistent.
One of my first golf coaches asked me "what kind of golfer are you if the hit the ball 20 yards right every time," I replied very quickly "simple you a fade player," and he said "no, you'd be the greatest golfer on the planet!"

Everything thing I laid out works in unison, in order to hit greens you pretty much have to be in the fairway or close to it. Next you have to be able to get up and down, meaning you have to be close enough to green in order to do this, and lastly in order to MAKING BIRDIES, you have to be on the green with a MAKEABLT putt.

You have to be able to save par or Bogey. bogies you can come back from, doubles are far more difficult!

Good luck and keep up the hard work, you'll get there soon.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Tempo. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Every time I've been able to go below my handicap it's because I really focus on swing tempo.
Obi Wan Ginobili
To summarize this thread for the OP, you need to get better at everything all at the same time. Clubs don't matter, but you should get fitted and drop at least a dime on sticks.

You're welcome.
aggiefan2002
Had an awesome lesson last week at pebble creek. Pro was super helpful. Been to the driving range another time since then and was hitting some MUCH more consistent shots already. Excited to chart my progress next few months.

Next round is Thursday. Would you guys mind if I came back afterwards and shared my fairways in regulation, greens in regulation, number of putts, and score so that I can get advice on what part of game to work on most?
Icecream_Ag
S
aggiefan2002 said:

Had an awesome lesson last week at pebble creek. Pro was super helpful. Been to the driving range another time since then and was hitting some MUCH more consistent shots already. Excited to chart my progress next few months.

Next round is Thursday. Would you guys mind if I came back afterwards and shared my fairways in regulation, greens in regulation, number of putts, and score so that I can get advice on what part of game to work on most?
unless you are Phil Mickelson, hitting fairways and greens will help you the most early.

you can 3 putt every hole if you reach it in regulation and shoot 90 (assuming par 72 course)

The two things that I learned way too late in my golf career are tempo beats swinging hard and manage the course.
agracer
AG
aggiefan2002 said:

IMO beginners focus way to much on their score. Stop keeping score.

When you keep score you'll get frustrated at that "one missed/bad shot" on the last hole that led to a double, instead of thinking, I had an awesome drive on that last hole and sank a really nice 10-foot putt.

Focus on hitting your tee shots on the fairway and good iron strikes. Even if you miss the green but strike the ball well your getting better. Even if you hit a solid drive but it drifts left/right into the rough, you're getting better. Those are just a few tweaks to hitting those greens or fairways. Right now your a long ways away from a few tweaks to getting better.

Ignoring your score for a while will help you focus on the positive, and also understand what you need to work on at the range. You'll remember the round and know what went well (mostly ) and what went bad (mostly) when your round is over.

Once you start seeing more consistent ball striking, then start keeping score again.

Oh, and absolutely do not get fitted for clubs. You're swing is all over the place right now and anything to purchase will probably be the wrong club 12-months from now.
Aggie369
AG
Aggiefan2002, I might be in town early on Friday and go to the campus course driving range if u wanna join
aggiefan2002
Shot a 118 today (55/63).

The good: two pars and a bogey (all on par 3's)
The bad; only hit 2 fairways in regulation and had 49 putts (20 on front and 29 on back). Ouch.
Icecream_Ag
S
aggiefan2002 said:

Shot a 118 today (55/63).

The good: two pars and a bogey (all on par 3's)
The bad; only hit 2 fairways in regulation and had 49 putts (20 on front and 29 on back). Ouch.
I'll go back to my earlier post. Focus on hitting the fairways and greens first, then work on the putter.
aggiefan2002
FWIW, pars were on holes that were 169 and 154 and bogey was on hole that was 143.
Icecream_Ag
S
great job.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.