15 handicap and I am playing with scratch clients

5,275 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DOCAG79
Post removed:
by user
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't worry about it. Keep pace, follow etiquette, don't worry about the skill difference.
tandy miller
AG
quote:
Don't worry about it. Keep pace, follow etiquette, don't worry about the skill difference.
THIS. Play your game. There was a time when they were probably in the same boat as you. They will understand, and if not **** them
oldschool87
AG
Keep Pace!!!!! Give the shot the amount of time it deserves. If your putting for Double bogey, you got about 5 seconds to putt. Don't be the guy that lines up a quad putt for 4 minutes!!!

I don't care how bad, or good you are. If you keep pace, its all greatness!!!!

If you have a birdie putt, take your time line it up!!!!

Just Keep Pace!!!
jj9000
AG
Unless you're playing a money game, nobody else but you cares about what you shoot.

You may think they do, but in reality, they don't.

I can have just as much fun playing alongside a 25 Cap as I can a 0 Cap.

Why? Because I don't care what they are shooting...I'm focused on my own game...and having a good time playing golf.

Don't sweat it...keep a positive attitude...and go have fun.

...oh...and keep pace.
Matsui
AG
Don't slow play. Don't hunt for balls when others are waiting. No on really cares what you shoot.
Ag_07
AG
My dad is 20+ HC and he plays with us all the time because he keeps up and has fun. He knows his game and he knows he's not going to break any course records or make a ton of gambling money.

Enjoy being out golfing, be courteous, and all will be good.
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
Just ask

Tell them it's rough on you from the tips and do they mind if you play from the whites.

Chances are they won't mind, but again be courteous and ask. Also, if you do play from the whites solo be sure to be on your toes and get off the tee in a timely manner. Don't wait around and watch all them hit from your cart behind the tees then drive up, decide what club to hit, and spend 10 mins on practice swings.
tandy miller
AG
quote:
Thanks guys. Always keep pace, always courteous. If they're all playing from the tips, do I play solo from a closer tee box, or do I suck it up and hit 200+ in on my approach shots?
I always play solo from closer tee box. I'm a 19 handicap and play with a lot of single digit guys. I feel like it allows me to hit better off the tee essentially speeding up pace bc im not looking for lost balls, plus I enjoy it a lot more. I dont feel like I have to swing the club as hard as I can since im not trying to hit it a mile
Obi Wan Ginobili
If you buy enough beers, no one will give a **** how bad your game is.
khaos288
AG

quote:
I can have just as much fun playing alongside a 25 Cap

Man, I find you talking smack about me in every damn thread!
jj9000
AG
quote:

quote:

We have a guy in our normal group that's ~25 Cap...and he's a blast to play alongside...because he doesn't take himself too seriously.

He's not out there to try to go low...he's out there to have a good time.

BTW...We need to tee it up again soon...this time I'm not giving you (2) pops a hole.

khaos288
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

We have a guy in our normal group that's ~25 Cap...and he's a blast to play alongside...because he doesn't take himself too seriously.

He's not out there to try to go low...he's out there to have a good time.

BTW...We need to tee it up again soon...this time I'm not giving you (2) pops a hole.

haha oh yeah, I'm back up to about a 16, but I am having hell working my new irons in.

And, just shoot me a text my man. I'm going to try and play indian creek tomorrow afternoon.
Matsui
AG
Personally think it is a pain to get to a box all hit buy 1 guy and then have to pull up and have you go out solo to hit from the up tees. I'd just play where they play and go have fun. If they ask just say you typically play the 1 or 2 up tees and let them decide.
Yesterday
AG
I'm a 2 and I've always played from the boxes that the worse player felt comfortable at. It gives the better players an excuse to play a different box anyways. I would just tell them "well I usually play the whites but F it, if y'all don't mind me hacking it around from the tips then I'm good with the tips." This way it's on them for making you play the tips.
Yesterday
AG
And have fun. I always enjoyed playing with better players.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The only thing I care about with a playong partner is (1) keep up and (2) stay relaxed and have fun regardless of how you are playing.

It's miserable to play with someone that is frustrated with their game. So what if you aren't as good as them? 90%+ of golfers are not.

So stay loose, have fun, and it will go great no matter how you shoot.
Ag_07
AG
I'll also throw in to not get mad and throw fits.

I hate playing with guys who are 12 over through 6 and get furious when they miss their bogey putt on 7. They throw their putter, gripe and complain, and analyze their stroke like their some tour pro.

Know what kind of golfer your are (sounds like OP does already) and play and act within your means and you're golden.
ElCheAg
AG
Don't forget to announce before you all tee off the 1st tee box:

"Gentlemen. Don't take this azz whopping personally."
gravy97
AG
Make sure to acknowledge the gallery after each made putt... simply take the ball out of the hole and show it to the crowd. A slight tip of the cap is a nice touch as well. (this is especially useful when there is no gallery)
Just an Ag
AG
Just play and know that some days you play well and some days you don't, and the same apples to everyone in your group. If the day starts going sideways just "smile and play" knowing you got better days ahead.
raidernarizona
quote:
Don't hunt for balls when others are waiting

Dear Lord! This x1000! One of my best friends does this and it drives me nuts! He found all the balls in his bag to begin with. Just drop already!

quote:
Tips?

Pay attention to what the scratch golfers do. When I play with guys like this, I will ask for 1 or 2 pointers during the round. Good way to learn.
agsalaska
AG
1. Play from the tees you would normally play from. They will not care.

2. Keep up. Your 5th ball in the trees on 14 does not get a 5 minute search. But their 1st ball in the trees on 16 will.

3. Don't rush them. I know this counters my earlier point but a lot of scratch guys are grinders and may be pretty deliberate. They know it is not a race. You will figure out the balance.

4. Don't talk about how bad you suck or how good they are.

5. Repeat #4.

6. I would try to avoid any wagers unless it is just a few dollars. High handicappers in my experience have a lot bigger spread in their scoring than scratch guys.

7. Have fun and don't really worry about it. Don't let it mess with your head. They wont.
AgDotCom
I suggest doing what you do when you host a dinner party and you / your wife are bad cooks.

Get them drunk.
CapCityAg89
AG
Keep pace

Keep a good sense of humor

Figure out a good wager and pay with a smile

Do NOT play from the tips
hunterjr81
Dont be a Negative Nancy. If you hit a bad shot just keep the mood happy.No Debbie Downer. I hate playing with those type of people. Have freaking fun with it no matter how good or bad the shot is.

Yesterday
AG
Now that you've let us fill your head with all kinds of tips, good luck swinging a golf club. Ha!
Post removed:
by user
Harry Stone
AG
I play with 15+ handicaps all the time. Doesnt bother me at all
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I'm a 2 and I've always played from the boxes that the worse player felt comfortable at. It gives the better players an excuse to play a different box anyways. I would just tell them "well I usually play the whites but F it, if y'all don't mind me hacking it around from the tips then I'm good with the tips." This way it's on them for making you play the tips.

Unless it's a once in a lifetime round at a world famous course, tees don't matter, in most cases when it comes down to it. I joined a club two weeks ago. I played yesterday from the tips (6750-ish) and shot 76 in a consistent 1-2 club wind the entire round, that should have been a 71-72 I hit the ball so well. Paired today with a two-some (member and guest) that I didn't know. Asked what tees they play and the member said "blues or yellows." Not really knowing because I haven't paid attention to the colors of the tees, I said that was fine. We get to the first tee and I realize we are playing two up, 6100-ish. We all then agree to play one up (move back a tee, 6400-ish). I shoot 85.
Yesterday
AG
They don't matter other than shaving 600 yards off and having comletley different club selections.
1208HawkTree
AG
I guess what I meant was it doesn't matter much in terms of score for most mortal amateurs. In terms of "enjoyment" it absolutely can matter if you are playing tees so short that you just cannot hit anything but irons off of every tee. But that also works in reverse with people playing tees too long for their game. It just depends on the course really and how much of a separation there is between tees or if they are significantly different angles, etc.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
I guess what I meant was it doesn't matter much in terms of score for most mortal amateurs. In terms of "enjoyment" it absolutely can matter if you are playing tees so short that you just cannot hit anything but irons off of every tee. But that also works in reverse with people playing tees too long for their game. It just depends on the course really and how much of a separation there is between tees or if they are significantly different angles, etc.

Agreed.
bqce
AG
quote:
I'm a 2
sure you are. No you aren't.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.