Maui golf

1,603 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by hunterjr81
dcrewint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got an awesome wife who has encouraged me to go on a guy's golf trip to Maui. Airfare for me is taken care of via CC points. I've never been to Hawaii, so any advice is welcomed.

I was wondering about some tips that could save us some $ (lodging, eating, possibly golf) while making the golf memorable(best courses played there, best bang for your buck, best packaged deals). Renting a car the way to go or do they have decent public transit?

What should be steer away from (golf / touristy stuff)?

TIA
dcrewint
It appears Kapalua Plantation = #1 experience there?

Not sure we'll want to ferry over anywhere, but if we did whats the ferry ride cost?
Sooper Jeenyus
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Well, I'm jealous. I've done it once and played Makena South, which I can certainly recommend. I think the round was only about $120.

Kapalua's Plantation course will be the pinnacle but there are other good options too. Enjoy...you SOB...
jonj101
In previous Maui threads I think Kapalua has been the #1 recommendation.

In the past I've also recommended taking the ferry from Lahaina as a day trip over to Lanai and playing the Challenge at Manele course. Its is part of the Four Seasons resort located on the island, and has some excellent views. If you go over in the morning yall can have breakfast at the Blue Ginger Cafe - it was pretty good. We spent the day playing golf and hanging out on the island.

As far as the ferry costs, it was included as part of the golfnow rate that we booked to play The Challenge. IIRC the whole thing was around $150, which was a great deal.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Yes, rent a car.

Kapalua Plantation is amazing, but pricey. It will be $300+ for the round. I played it before the Hyundai last year, and it was absolutely perfect. The elevation changes and views of the ocean are unbeatable. I didn't play the Bay course, but I think it is a cheaper alternative.

I also played the Wailea Blue course, and it was great, but in a different category. I think it was half the price of Plantation.

oldschool87
AG
Rent a car! Alamo, cheap, 200 bucks for the week! right next to baggage claim!

Yes Plantation is 300 bucks, and it is nice!!! but you can play local in town courses for 30 or 40 bucks.

You can play Konnepoli for 125, less in the afternoon. They don't negoitiate!

If you need to rent clubs, call Jimmy's!!!!! they rent everything, scuba, golf, surf boards you name it. Pricing model is crazy good. He charges half of what they charge at the course... that is his pricing model. If you need them all week he will make you a Hell of a deal.

They also make tee times at discounts. I would call them before I did anything!!!!!

http://jimmysmauigolfrentals.com/
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I read this imagining a highly caffinated excited man yelling it at me.
bdgol07
AG
Uh....hellooooooooo
JRGAGG12
AG
I've had the opportunity to play the Kapalua courses and I highly recommend both the plantation and the bay course. They are worth the money. If this is a one off trip for you...spend the cash and play. (Save money by not staying at the Ritz resort associated with Kapalua...). Find a cheap/decent place on AirBnB/VRBO and rent a car like others have suggested.
dcrewint
bdgol07 you interested!?
RustyBV
AG
Play Kapalua plantation during twilight for a reduced price, is $199 after 1 pm.
bdgol07
AG
Text me the details, with a kid on the way, it all depends
claybot
AG
quote:
Play Kapalua plantation during twilight for a reduced price, is $199 after 1 pm.
This. I've done it twice. It's an amazing course! Some of the best views on Maui. Really tough if the wind is up. Fairly gettable otherwise.
oldschool87
AG
quote:
I read this imagining a highly caffinated excited man yelling it at me.
Funny, excited about Maui, who wouldn't be???

No I just hate to come back from a vacation and find a tip that would have saved me hundreds of dollars. Wanted to make sure you all saw that's all.

Plantation when there is no wind... Texas in July when its 70 degrees... LOL
hunterjr81
I need to see pic of wife first before offering any tips.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.