Bluejack

13,114 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by grego
fairviewcrew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got the opportunity to play Bluejack yesterday...

Awesome experience. Staff was great. Practice facility was pristine: range, putting green very nice.

Fairways very wide. Not a lot of trouble off the tee. No rough, just pine straw. Only a few holes with water hazards. Around the greens was very tight. Greens challenging.

Overall a very fun experience. one of my least favorite things about golf is hitting the ball 1-2 yards off the fairway and having to spend 5 minutes searching for it in the rough or even losing it. There is none of that here. You hit a really bad drive, your challenge is hitting out of the trees but you can find it.

They were pumping music out over the driving range and putting green which was surprising at such a nice club... clearly trying to create a more fun/enjoyable culture vs. The super stuffy atmosphere of other high end clubs.

A+ experience

G-Town Cracker
AG
lucky
Mr.Bond
AG
Humble brag
98Ag99Grad
AG
I came here for pics. OP fail.
watty
AG
Cool. I like how Tiger designed the course. Designed to be playable for everyone and never lose a ball unless it's in the water, and even the water hazards are set diagonal (so i've read) so that every golfer can choose how much they want to try to bite off. Sounds like a really nice environment both for poor golfers and also good golfers. I hope to play someday.
AggieLitigator
I'm jealous.
rononeill
Got to play it opening week. Fun, easy course. Incredible shape.
Westicles
AG
I was lucky enough to be invited to play out there a few weeks ago and second your thoughts. Although, for the most part the comment about the rough is correct, but there are some holes that have that long fescue type grass that was brutal. If it weren't for the fore caddies I would have lost a ball at least once in there. Number 6, the hole with the halfway house thing comes to mind. However I did snap hook the sh*t outta my drive to find it.

As I was telling someone later, Bluejack was very similar to Lochinvar in service and golf course maintenance, but with a much better layout (at least in my opinion as I don't care for Lochinvar layout all that much).
fairviewcrew
I agree with Lochinvar comparisons... Similar feel

I did think the whole - announce your name and hometown off the first tee like the pros was a bit cheesy/awkward.... But other guys thought it was cool
garym2001
AG
It's a special kind of place. The plans and infrastructure around the course are amazing. The service is top notch and the shape of the course was unbelievable. Great practice facility with the biggest putting green I've ever seen and a big pole with a bullseye out in the middle of the driving range. Very fun experience.
HouAggie
AG
I hear great reviews. I also hear that they're struggling to pay their bills on time and need members in a bad way. Hope it works out.
jja79
AG
Where do you hear that? I understand it's run by a development company which isn't always good. The first place Tiger associated with in North Carolina didn't make it.
fairviewcrew
Pro told me they have ~115 members currently. They just sent 50 national member invites to fill 25 spots.

The development has plans for 300 houses fully developed...

IMO - they need to really ramp up their national membership. You need to rope in a couple hundred rich dudes across the country that will join just to be able to see/talk to Tiger... Because he is legitimately there a few weeks a year.

Also, they need to try and pull people from the woodlands/Carlton woods... Because it will be hard to pull big number of guys from Houston in town clubs...just because of the distance.
jja79
AG
I don't necessary agree with your last statement. I belong to Houston Oaks which is remote as well and we have quite a few members who also are members at River Oaks and other clubs in town. Looking at the membership directory I'd say close to have the members live in town.

I would expect Bluejack is also selling the second club to the same type people.
fairviewcrew
Houston Oaks has a lot more to offer aside from golf right now... Clubhouse, amenities, other sports. None of which Bluejack has yet. But you are right, they will need at least half their membership to be Houston guys to be successful, I hope they are
jja79
AG
I agree. When I toured Bluejack it looks like they're building as they raise the money whereas the owners at Houston Oaks are paying cash as they build. Different concepts I suppose.

When I was out there a couple of people who had been at Traditions were on staff.
garym2001
AG
the former Dir of Membership from Traditions is out there now in the same capacity. They have a grand plan and it will be fantastic when complete. A buddy of mine is building a cottage out there as we speak.

Seems to be a lot of competition in that "2nd Club" market with Lochinvar, Houston Oaks, Blue Jack and Whispering Pines all available.
SmackDaddy
AG
quote:
Pro told me they have ~115 members currently. They just sent 50 national member invites to fill 25 spots.

IMO - they need to really ramp up their national membership. You need to rope in a couple hundred rich dudes across the country that will join just to be able to see/talk to Tiger... Because he is legitimately there a few weeks a year.

Also, they need to try and pull people from the woodlands/Carlton woods... Because it will be hard to pull big number of guys from Houston in town clubs...just because of the distance.
Any idea what the initiation is?
jja79
AG
It's around $100K so in line with the competition.
SmackDaddy
AG
quote:
It's around $100K so in line with the competition.

Thanks. National?
garym2001
AG
jja79
AG
I don't know. I was out there on business and they gave me a tour. I am country club poor already so I didn't get into specifics.
pjs8910
AG
$90k upfront, $10k annual dues (likely to increase as amenities are added to $12k annually). Sales guy mentioned that the upfront is likely to go up as the facilities get built out. There is a $30k discount on initiation if you buy a property.
Post removed:
by user
WestTexAG
AG
It also generally gets you access of all sorts. To people that have that kind of money though, the ability to just walk onto a golf course without having a tee time booked is really important. Sometimes you just happen to realize "I've got enough time to play a round of golf this afternoon", and in a lot of places you can't just walk on to a golf course that meets your expectation.
AustinCountyAg
WestTexAG said:

It also generally gets you access of all sorts. To people that have that kind of money though, the ability to just walk onto a golf course without having a tee time booked is really important. Sometimes you just happen to realize "I've got enough time to play a round of golf this afternoon", and in a lot of places you can't just walk on to a golf course that meets your expectation.
my brother in law can do that at his home course...TPC Bellville, and his dues are only $60 a month
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
watty said:

Cool. I like how Tiger designed the course. Designed to be playable for everyone and never lose a ball unless it's in the water, and even the water hazards are set diagonal (so i've read) so that every golfer can choose how much they want to try to bite off. Sounds like a really nice environment both for poor golfers and also good golfers. I hope to play someday.

Tiger didn't really design the course. He did reinforce the no rough (pine straw), and rerouted some. Oh and he did the par 3 course. Original layout (Crenshaw with Blake) had cottages and Augusta approache but operators went to scrub rough to save $
cheeky
AG
fairviewcrew said:

Tiger hasnt spent two weeks in Houston since they broke ground, much less every year.

Like it or not, Bluejack's fate is rooted in oil, which will be under pressure for longer than most would care to admit. That doesn't bode well for a place in the boonies that is competing against Whispering Pines where many of their target audience already invested in a "second" club. BJ already has pulled all of the CW members they're likely to get, which is about a smooth dozen. I really enjoyed BJ, considered building a home out there, but made another choice based on my criteria. I hope they make it to or near the club's vision because it's a hell of a lot of fun and we need more great golf experiences in the area.
Quinn
AG
Not sure how many of y'all are on instagram, but Fried Egg, a golf course blog is out at Bluejack today and is sharing pictures and video from the course if you want to check it out:
https://instagr.am/p/BQ2z9IKlvz0
Yesterday
AG
Thanks for volunteering your time to repost their pics here!
Quinn
AG
Most of it is on instagram video which I can't embed unfortunately. Click on the link then click on their main picture to see the videos if you're on your phone.
Quinn
AG
jja79
AG
It's been 10 months since I was out there. Have they started the clubhouse?
Quinn
AG
He didn't post a video of the clubhouse, but there was something called The Comfort Station that showed.
garym2001
AG
No club house yet. Haven't even started on that as far as I can tell. They have an old house on 7 that serves as a sort of "half way" house and a smoke whack on 12 serving beef jerky, smoked tri tip and beer. It
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.