Golfsmith

9,973 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by C ROC N
dcrewint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/17551353/texas-based-golfsmith-seeks-chapter-11-bankruptcy-protection

Should we expect any big deals coming?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Be interesting to see which stores stay open here in Houston. I remember when they were just a couple of trailers off I35 in Austin.
Yesterday
AG
They needed this. Hopefully their restructure will allow them to sell more used golf clubs at competitive pricing. I imagine a lot smaller inventory with bigger practice areas where they can charge for indoor lessons and range time. It will be interesting to see how this affects the prices of equipment.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Got an email early this morning that Willowbrook/Champions location on 1960 will be closing late October 2016.

I guess that only leaves me the GolfGalaxy "clearance" racks to rummage through. Bleh.
jja79
AG
Hate that. That's where I bought most of my golf balls until I discovered Snell.
jonj101
That sucks - I liked GolfSmith more than Golf Galaxy. But whenever I went into the one near Baybrook I don't recall seeing more than a dozen people in the store.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They moved to a "Golfsmith Extreme"'location in Plano about 2 years ago, which I think was in response to PGA Superstore putting their regular sized location to shame. But there is still almost never anyone in there.
JYDog90
AG
I think their concept is flawed, when you've got huge putting areas and hitting areas that you're not merchandising but paying rent and cam and promo on, your sales/ft just can't justify your costs in some of these inline spaces.

Best thing about Ch11 is it gets you out of some of these leases and you can focus on freestanding stores
aggiedent
AG
The Woodlands store is always packed with people. The Champions store always seems empty to me. I think it's a poor location since the Golf Galaxy by Willowbrook always seems busier.
JYDog90
AG
Yeah, I live on the other side of 1960 from the Champions store and it doesn't seem empty. It is empty. I don't think you could possibly walk in there and not think this location was a failed experiment.
The D
AG
Yeah the woodlands one always has people at it. Even at weird hours, say 11:00am on a Monday, I always see about 10-15 people in there and someone checking out all the time. I like that store alot.
DadAG10
Just received email saying the Plano store at 75 & Plano Parkway closing.

30% off most items. (Standard exclusions apply).

BigHitterDaLama
I was visiting family over Labor Day and went into the Champions Store. Absolutely empty. They had some superstroke 3.0s on sale for 12.97. Took one to the register and the guy rings it up at twenty something bucks, even with the mark down tag staring him in the face. Tell him they are on sale, he says "oh" and then it takes him about 7 minutes to get it marked down correctly in their system (with the help of the MOD).

LHIOB
AG
Their used clubs are priced so poorly. If you live in DFW and don't go to Lou's in Carrolton you are missing out.
BigHitterDaLama
quote:
Their used clubs are priced so poorly. If you live in DFW and don't go to Lou's in Carrolton you are missing out.
Agreed on Lou's. Went weekly when I live in Coppell

IMO, there's a lot of money to be made in used golf clubs if you do it right.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
Yeah, I live on the other side of 1960 from the Champions store and it doesn't seem empty. It is empty. I don't think you could possibly walk in there and not think this location was a failed experiment.
My daily e-mail from Golfsmith this morning said that this location is closing.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
quote:
quote:
My daily e-mail from Golfsmith this morning said that this location is closing.
Did it reveal anything pertaining to sales discounts?
jonj101
Got an email this morning for 50% of a number of items. Also saw this Golf Digest link which notes which stores are closing (so far):

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-golfsmiths-chapter-11-filing-really-meansand-which-stores-are-closing

Ezra Brooks
AG
Same "Up to 30%, Some Exclusions Apply" mentioned by DadAg10 above.
Mr.Bond
AG
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/equipment-insider/report-*****-acquires-golfsmith-auction/

Replace the ***** with
D
I
C
K
S

Such a stupid ****ing filter staff
Mr.Bond
AG
Just got multicompound midsize grips for 30% off, golfsmith liquidating everything, even yeti
tandy miller
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Just got multicompound midsize grips for 30% off, golfsmith liquidating everything, even yeti
What location?
Mr.Bond
AG
Baybrook
tandy miller
AG
Does anyone know if they are closing the westheimer location?
Mr.Bond
AG
Yes, every Houston location except the Woodlands
AustinCountyAg
Mr.Bond said:

Yes, every Houston location except the Woodlands
katy?
Oso96
AG
Yes katy closing too. Just picked up some golf balls.
aftershock
Oso96 said:

Yes katy closing too. Just picked up some golf balls.
Was the Katy store running a storewide 30% or whatever discount too?
AustinCountyAg
When are the stores supposed to close permanently?

edit----called the store and the girl said they would be open until the end of the year. she said everything is 5-30% off right now. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a new driver. now might be the time if they have what I want in stock?
Mr.Bond
AG
New clubs are 5 percent off, used are 20-25 percent off. Baybrook still had a good selection
jonj101
So with the brand new Golf Galaxy and D icks across the street, I wonder how long before the Baybrook store will be shuttered. Galleria as well.
The Milkman
AG
Mr.Bond said:

New clubs are 5 percent off, used are 20-25 percent off. Baybrook still had a good selection
5%? Wow people could save tens of dollars
Oso96
AG
Yeti 10%, golf balls 10%, scotty putters 5%, odyssey putters 10%, and not sure what was 30% off
Mr.Bond
AG
Oso96 said:

Yeti 10%, golf balls 10%, scotty putters 5%, odyssey putters 10%, and not sure what was 30% off

Grips, club tools, books, learning aids etc. Shoes are 20 percent
K Bo
AG
Stopped in today and loaded up on MCC +4s at 30% off and grabbed a UST V2 driver shaft for $42.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.