Found my Stolen Golf Clubs on Ebay

8,158 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by gravy97
Blackout_Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello fellow Ags. My clubs got stolen out of my car in my parking garage in Dallas about a month ago. I recently found them being sold by "golfclubbrokers" on Ebay. I filed a police report when this happened and called the Dallas PD back when I found my clubs on Ebay. Dallas PD has not been helpful at all and basically told me they can't help. I don't really want my clubs back because I already received my insurance money and bought new clubs. I would however like to have the thieves caught. Any advice on what I should do? I feel if I contact golfclubbrokers they will just deny it happening.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
I feel if I contact golfclubbrokers they will just deny it happening.
It is worth a shot.I wouldn't expect much help from them.

Ag_07
AG
I doubt they're the ones who stole them and imagine they bought them from a pawnshop or something and they'd probably tell you tough luck.

If you already got them replaced and don't care about the clubs why bother? Waste of time and effort in my opinion.
khaos288
AG
quote:
I doubt they're the ones who stole them and imagine they bought them from a pawnshop or something and they'd probably tell you tough luck.

If you already got them replaced and don't care about the clubs why bother? Waste of time and effort in my opinion.
Justice is worth some effort.
CTGilley
AG
I do not believe trying to have thieves punished a waste of time. I have had both my home and truck broken into and it is a terrible feeling. I would exhaust all my options before giving up. Most of the time you do not get anywhere but if it gives you some peace of mind it is worth it.
Blackout_Bill
AG
quote:

Yeah no doubt. Golfclubbrokers runs a company where you ship your clubs to them and then give you money. They broke into 2 other cars in my garage as well and took another guys clubs. His clubs are being sold by the same company as well and I imagine they have hit other cars around Dallas too.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
i doubt they help you but they should have the shippers information
Yesterday
AG
quote:

Criminals with half a brain won't sell their loot to pawnshops, especially with hard serial numbers like golf clubs. Secondhand dealers like this company are not regulated like pawnshops are. That said, I would confront the business, tell them you have proof that they're your clubs. They can either tell you to pound sand and try their luck at a property hearing(which they won't) or they can give you the clubs back at their cost as well as give up the sellers info. With that said, i'm not sure what good it will do to have the sellers info if the police won't touch this. Have you contacted the detective that is in charge of your case?
Whoop04
I can't help you with your problem, but I hope you find them and "take care of them".
Blackout_Bill
AG
With that said, i'm not sure what good it will do to have the sellers info if the police won't touch this. Have you contacted the detective that is in charge of your case?

This is where I'm at right now. If they police won't get involved and try to get the sellers info idk what I can really do. I have contacted the detective and he basically was like "well you see son we haven't really caught up with technology here with the internet and can't prove that they are yours blah blah blah"
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
With that said, i'm not sure what good it will do to have the sellers info if the police won't touch this. Have you contacted the detective that is in charge of your case?

This is where I'm at right now. If they police won't get involved and try to get the sellers info idk what I can really do. I have contacted the detective and he basically was like "well you see son we haven't really caught up with technology here with the internet and can't prove that they are yours blah blah blah"
if he has documentation of serial numbers then they could compare...however most people dont have this
Yesterday
AG
quote:

That is such crap and lazy police work. Dallas PD is notorious for this. Fort Worth and surrounding communities are much better from my experience. I would still contact the company, let them know those clubs are yours and they're reported stolen. If anything the company would probably like to know one of their customers sold them stolen goods. See if they'll sell them back to you at cost?
gravy97
AG
Just curious, what about the clubs uniquely identifies them as yours?

I ask b/c I don't know how I could identify mine beyond being the same brand/model.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I bought my set from mizuno and they come with a serial number usually on the hosel of the clubs laser etched.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
I bought my set from mizuno and they come with a serial number usually on the hosel of the clubs laser etched.
but also you should put a unique identifier on the clubs (without being obvious) and have documentation of that. Still might not help but if you bought second hand clubs with nothing then there is no way to prove they are yours
Blackout_Bill
AG
quote:
Just curious, what about the clubs uniquely identifies them as yours?

I ask b/c I don't know how I could identify mine beyond being the same brand/model.

I have a custom shaft on my diver and matching grips on my driver and irons. The company is also selling my old 3 wood, my cobra driving iron (only cobra club I had in my bag), my ping putter, and my range finder. The same company is also selling the clubs from another guy in my apartment building who's clubs got stolen as well. His clubs have his initials on them as well as being unique clubs but the Dallas PD is still not being helpful the last time I talked to him.
chanceg2784
AG

Went through the same crap earlier this year (in Garland). Found my clubs on eBay about a week later, and traced them to a golf resale shop in Garland. I knew that the clubs listed on the website were mine bc I had just put new grips on my irons and putter.

I worked with my detective with garland PD, and gave him links to all of the ebay pages of my clubs. He contacted the golf shop and figured out that all of the clubs on the webpages I had sent him were brought in by the same person (a woman). Turns out, it was a boyfriend/girlfriend combo, heavy herion users (shocker). The man didn't have a DL, so he made the woman bring in the clubs.

They sold everything, (including expensive range finder in my bag) for a whopping 150 bucks. About a week after I got my clubs back, the detective called me and let me know that they had picked up both thieves.

It was a major hassle and I wasted a ton of time on this, but totally worth it to know that those people got busted.

Yesterday
AG
quote:

Went through the same crap earlier this year (in Garland). Found my clubs on eBay about a week later, and traced them to a golf resale shop in Garland. I knew that the clubs listed on the website were mine bc I had just put new grips on my irons and putter.

I worked with my detective with garland PD, and gave him links to all of the ebay pages of my clubs. He contacted the golf shop and figured out that all of the clubs on the webpages I had sent him were brought in by the same person (a woman). Turns out, it was a boyfriend/girlfriend combo, heavy herion users (shocker). The man didn't have a DL, so he made the woman bring in the clubs.

They sold everything, (including expensive range finder in my bag) for a whopping 150 bucks. About a week after I got my clubs back, the detective called me and let me know that they had picked up both thieves.

It was a major hassle and I wasted a ton of time on this, but totally worth it to know that those people got busted.

As the owner of several pawnshops in DFW I can honestly say that it's very easy to spot stolen golf clubs. They're not like a Playstation 4 where anyone with a couple hundred dollars can get one. Golfers are typically more disciplined with their money, they hardly sell their clubs for way less than they're worth and above all they know what they're selling. I can't tell you how many times I've made thieves look stupid by simply asking them what wedges they use. Because of this I think I have a grand total of two sets of golf clubs in three of my stores. The clubs we see are usually early 90's hogans that people think are worth several hundred dollars or they're stolen. Occasionally i'll get a nice set of clubs that are legit, but the owners almost always pick them back up.

Back to my point, the owners of this shop should be ashamed for taking these clubs from what it sounds like an obvious thief. They can't claim ignorance because they're golf club re-sellers, that's their exact business so they most likely knew they were stolen but didn't care.
chanceg2784
AG

Yep, The owner knew damn well what he was doing. He told me that he was suspicious at first, but then they started to talk about the range finder and he gave them the benefit of the doubt and took the clubs in. I got everything back that they brought in, except my brand new bag. He said that he had already sold it before he got wind of all of this from the detective (likely BS). At the end of the day, I got everything back sans golf bag, and the shop owner came out with a new, unused bag for 150.

I can't remember the name of the shop, but it is somewhere near 635 and Jupiter in Garland. If you are a junky and have stolen golf clubs you want to turn into quick cash, this is your place.

Sazerac
AG
"e shop owner came out with a new, unused bag for 150. "

You bought something from these thievery enablers??
LeFraud
After reading this thread, a few things we should all do (if you haven't already)

Take pictures of EVERYTHING that you own in your golf bag. That way, if it gets stolen, not only do you have stuff for insurance, but also something you can hand over to the police.

Add something to your clubs to identify them as yours, and yours alone. It doesn't have to be crazy, but something that will leave ZERO doubt that the clubs are yours.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the shops/brokers that facilitate this crap are just as bad as the initial thieves in my book. They know what smells right and what doesn't.
gravy97
AG
quote:
Add something to your clubs to identify them as yours, and yours alone. It doesn't have to be crazy, but something that will leave ZERO doubt that the clubs are yours.
What are some ideas for these 'identifying customizations'.... I saw grips mentioned... but if i just have stock clubs and grips, what are some ways to mark them that you guys have done?
Yesterday
AG
You could do a cheap engraving on the shaft when you replace the grips.
Thisguy1
I can somewhat understand why people keep clubs in their cars if you use them every day, but I won't even keep mine in my garage. They go in a room in my house. Too much money to be sitting in my truck all the time.

I hope you find them. There's not many things that are more satisfying than catching thieves.
gravy97
AG
When I was in high school, I had my clubs stolen from in front of the pro shop at Brookhaven CC. I was on the chipping green with my SW and came back... and blamo. All it takes is someone watching you, see you put your clubs down, and walk away. Then they can casually walk by and pick them up like they are their own... granted the meth head type may not blend in as well...

To this day I'm extra paranoid about walking away from my clubs....(and probably why I don't leave my clubs in the garage too) which makes me wonder why I haven't even considered doing anything to uniquely ID my clubs before now.
AggieT
AG
quote:
quote:
What are some ideas for these 'identifying customizations'.... I saw grips mentioned... but if i just have stock clubs and grips, what are some ways to mark them that you guys have done?

I have these on my clubs. They can be peeled off, but I doubt many thieves know to even look. If nothing else, they will help an honest person return a lost club.

https://www.amazon.com/Personalized-Golf-Club-Name-Labels/dp/B0189VSN9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473880739&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=golf+club+labels&psc=1
boy09
AG
Arrange a meetup to buy the clubs and pull a gun on them like this guy.
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
Arrange a meetup to buy the clubs and pull a gun on them like this guy.

That is awesome.
LeFraud
paint part of the ferrule on each club would be something that would definitely work.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Should have put one in his knee
gravy97
AG
I decided to grab the wife's blue acrylic paint and fill in all the iron numbers and/or degree numbers on wedges/woods/hybrids... now i just need to take some pics so i can prove they are mine when they show up on ebay!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.