Played Erin Hills

1,951 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by K Bo
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Played Erin Hills today and will again tomorrow. Pics to follow when I get home. Lots of walking and uneven lies. Cool place though.
DallasAggie89
AG
Played it a year ago. You aren't kidding about a long walk!
dbtexasag05
You playing with a guy that has the initials CD?
BigHitterDaLama
Leave for Kohler this saturday for the week......excited and looking forward to your pics
98Ag99Grad
AG
No sir. Just here with my wife and whoever else they pair us with.
agsalaska
AG
So a review of Erin Hills?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quick review is its very playable but if you're not a good driver you'll have a long round. Lots of long fescue rough. Not overly bunkered but it does have quite a few. Lots of walking. Some uneven lies in the fairway that can be frustrating. A lot like Carne in Ireland if you've ever played there. Greens much slower than they look. I pled the green tees both days and it's all you want at 6700 yards imo. I'll post some pics when I get home this weekend.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Just to add to the review, I'm a 5hcp and shot 85 81. Putted much better today.
boinger89
AG
Played last summer with my kids. Get to the starter shack and starter walks us to first tee. Asks, you sure you don't want a caddy? I tell him no because I played it the previous year.

I'm a 7 handicap, son .8 other son a 6. The three of us promptly hit our tee shots to the right into the fescue. Starter goes, hope you guys staighten things out with a grin on his face.
garym2001
AG
Played last summer. Really fun course and a special experience. The cottages there are spectacular and it's the best merchandise shop I've been to, outside of The Masters. Definitely my favorite of the Wisconsin courses. Can't wait to watch the US Open there next year.
Old Town Ag
AG
About 1 round is all I have in me at Erin Hills. Its a tough walk. About a 10 mile loop and every tee box is a climb. Toughest part is the feet because you seem to never be walking on flat ground.

Course would be awesome if they allowed golf carts.
Sazerac
AG
What yardage did y'all play it at? Heard on the broadcast today that the tips are over 8k!!
98Ag99Grad
AG
They have tees that aren't even on the scorecard and can stretch it to over 8k as you mentioned. The listed top yardage is 7800 or so I believe. I played the green tees at 6700 and it's plenty.
98Ag99Grad
AG

Finally added some pics. The one of the ball just outside the bunker was on 16. Can't believe that thing settled there! The last shot is my approach on 18, a par 5. I was 165 out and stiffed a 6 iron to 3' and made the birdie. Great place and would recommend going if you can.

Tom Hagen
AG
No golf carts?
agsalaska
AG
Looks like a great trip
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
No golf carts?
Nope. Only walkers, either with a caddie or you carry your bag. Very hilly and most tees are elevated. You'll get a workout for sure.
K Bo
AG
I got the opportunity to play Erin HIlls (in addition to Whistling and BWR) last year immediately following the PGA. Erin Hills was simply incredible. I will definitely plan a trip back and hope to stay in the lodge. Great pics but they don't do the course justice. I am very excited to watch the US Open next year.
BigHitterDaLama
Just got back home from Kohler. Thought Straits was unreal and I've been blessed to play quite a few of the top private/public courses in the world. Shot a 39 on the back (44 on front......boooooo).

The BlackWolf courses were nice as well and I liked the Meadows better.

Didn't care for Whistling irish. Thought it was too tricked up with crazy greens and uneven lies everywhere.

Didn't get to do Erin hills based on scheduling. Fun trip and Kohler was being taken over by LSU Alum the last two days we were there. Group of Aggies were staying at the inn and had a nice putting gambling match going on Tuesday afternoon. Fun trip and great golf but would do Bandon or Monterey again over Kohler in a heartbeat.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
quote:
No golf carts?
Nope. Only walkers, either with a caddie or you carry your bag. Very hilly and most tees are elevated. You'll get a workout for sure.
Where are you supposed to put the cooler of beer?
K Bo
AG
The caddy carries it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.