Vegas Golf

4,874 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by watty
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read some previous threads on best courses, etc. My question is if it's better to

a) just book directly with each course
b) book a stay and play deal with hotel (some online sites seem to offer these)
c) book golf as a set of packages (Recommended sites?) and hotel/air separate

And if anyone wants to repeat the can't miss courses, or great courses that you get a better deal on through a nice hotel please do so. Would rather play nearby and not spend hours in a shuttle, but if it's a must I will...probably 3-4 full days of golf.

I'm planning to go in Nov/Dec. Will stay in a higher end hotel on the strip.
skippytimmy
AG
Not sure about your three questions, but I will give my opinion about Vegas Golf.

I have been blessed to play ~ 60 of the top 100 golf courses in the country. The most unique and awesome of those courses was Wolf Creek, in Mesquite Nevada. It is like playing on MARS. Well worth the drive.

Obviously, Shadow Creek, Wynn, Cascata, Rio Secco and Bears Best are great (and expensive), but Wolf Creek is the most fun.

Pauite is also pretty awesome.

aggiebrother33
I've played Wynn, Cascatta, Bears Best and Pauite. My honest choice is Bears best, middle pack price of the 4 mentioned but absolutely love the course.
TMfrisco
AG
Cascata is one of the best golf experiences I've ever had.
Can't tell you this best way to get on Cascata other than thru the Ceasers properties - I think.
Haven't played Wynn, but have heard it is immaculate, but shoe-horned on about 80 acres.
Shadow Creek will involve lots of gambling/money.

Bear's Best and Paiute just require a phone call. Bear's Best is replicas of Nicklaus holes so there aren't any bad holes.
Paiute is really good as well.

Will definitely second the trip to Wolf Creek - not like anything you will see any place else- but really hard.
beb06
AG
I've played Bear's Best, Cascata, and Paiute (Sun course I think) in the past year. Of those, I thought Cascata was by far the best, but also much more expensive than the other 2. I enjoyed all of them, though.
jonj101
Played Cascata earlier this year. I wasn't staying at the Ceaser properties, and I just got on by looking them up online. I had a rental car as well, so I didn't need a shuttle and the drive wasn't that bad. Although it was one of my more expensive rounds of golf, it certainly was a great experience. The course was beautiful, and the caddie was awesome (Dave from Texas). If I went back to Vegas with a group of golfers who wanted to play it I'd definitely do it again.

For my next trip, I hope to do Shadow Creek if possible. From what I've heard its nothing resembling Vegas golf, but its one of those courses that's beautiful yet over-the-top. I think Shadow Creek is through MGM hotels, but Dave told me if you call them up you can get on regardless of where you're staying - they may just pick you up from an MGM hotel.

Aside from that, Bears Best was suggested in past threads, and I hope to check that one out as well. The one other course I played in the area was Boulder City, and it was cool, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near Cascata.
garym2001
AG
If you have the scratch ($500), play The Wynn. It's closing this fall and going away for good.
DallasAggie89
AG
If your going to spend $500 play Shadow Creek. All you have to do is stay at a MGM property and book a tee time. Awesome experience.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
If you have the scratch ($500), play The Wynn. It's closing this fall and going away for good.
Really? I am not sure about that. It was in a bunch of plans but I do not think it is happening. Could be wrong though.
watty
AG
Last I saw, just a few weeks ago, the internet still said the Wynn course was closing soon. They have plans for what's replacing it. I'm not claiming to be right, but that's the last thing I've seen.
jonj101
Should I forego playing Shadow Creek to play the Wynn course before it closes?

I haven't seen any amazing reviews of it online, and previously I wrote it off as similar to Bali Hai in that people played it because it was convenient to the Strip or they were frequent Wynn visitors.
agsalaska
AG
The most recent article I could find discussing has a direct quote from Steve Wynn saying plans changed and he decided not to close it. But there is still speculation.
jonj101
What did you think of the Wynn course? Fun? Memorable?
agsalaska
AG
Lived there 4 years and never played it. From what people said it is in immaculate condition kind of like Augusta. 18 is an awesome hOle and the facilities and service is top notch. But the rest of the course is awesome but not particularly challenging. There is zero room between holes but some say that is part of what makes it so unique.

Others have played it and can chime in.
skippytimmy
AG
Yes, Wynn is a great course. It is Fazio, so the design is friendly, but tight. Conditions are as perfect as they can get. Amazing service as well.

Yes, it is closing. His original plan that he announced was scrappe , but in April he announced new plans. Pretty incredible actually. Google it.
Old School Brother
Wynn has great conditions, but otherwise isn't a memorable course other than the waterfall behind 18 green. It's golf in a closet. I enjoyed it, but definitely wouldn't play it if I was paying. For $500, I'd go shadow creek every time. Actually, I'd rent a car, drive to mesquite, play wolf creek, and pocket the remaining $200.
Project Mayhem
AG
Wynn was and still is the best manicured course I have ever played. Although the holes are really close together, it doesn't feel like it because they build up mounds between all of the holes and planted lots of dense tall landscaping to block the views of the other holes.

I actually enjoyed the Wynn course better than Shadow Creek but part of that might be that Shadow Creek was much more difficult.
Sazerac
AG
TTT

I'm starting to plan this for the week between Christmas and New Years, going to play 3 or 4 rounds.

Must Play:
http://www.golfwolfcreek.com/

Choose 2-3 of these, in order:
http://www.riosecco.net/
http://www.tpc.com/tpc-las-vegas
http://www.cascatagolf.com/
http://www.lvpaiutegolf.com/
http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Bear-s-Best-Las-Vegas/Golf/Course

Would love to play one of these. Wynn if I book their hotel, Shadow Creek if not.
http://www.shadowcreek.com/pages/index_main.asp ~$500
http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/Amenities/Golf ~$500

Any feedback?
watty
AG
Tough choice in the second group. All are fantastic, though I would eliminate paitue if I had to eliminate one.
agsalaska
AG
Agreed.

I would play Rio Secco. Then pick the other.

FYI, winter can be colder tham you might think. I have played on New Years eve before and not been able to get a tee in the ground. Give the sun a little time to come up. The afternoons are usually fantastic.
AggieT
AG
Rio Secco, and I also really enjoy the layout at TPC. Paiute (wolf) is WAY to hard for my taste (and game.)
TMfrisco
AG
Rio Secco is nice, but I didn't think it was anything that special. Same for TPC - really nice, but not overly special.
Bear's Best is at a much higher elevation than the Strip - Christmas/New Year could be really cold and because of the mountains the day is pretty short. I would put it in the same group as RS and TPC.
Cascata is special.
Paiute is nice and different - kind of a long way out though.

Southern Highlands - not open to the public - would be a great choice if you have any strings to pull.
Sazerac
AG
I played Rio Seco today. Weather was perfect. 79 from the whites which plays at 6300. The blacks looked crazy hard.

GF has planned everything in secret so no idea what is next.
Old School Brother
Going on annual guys trip for wild card weekend and staying for national championship game on Monday night. Planning to play cascata on monday if weather is good.
Sazerac
AG
Today is reflection bay on the recommendation of the golf booking agency she used.
jja79
AG
Sounds like you upgraded.
Sazerac
AG
43-40 today and I was abysmal with full wedges. Greens were crazy fast. Nice, but not very memorable course overall.
Sazerac
AG
Wolf Creek is a hike from Vegas,1.5 hrs each way....but totally worth it! Every hole is like out of a video game.

From the championship tees, Started on 10 with a double then had it to 8 over total - playing pretty dang well with a club pro -staring at a birdie putt on my 14th hole.

Three putt bogie starts the melt down and I throw up bogie, triple, break my iPhone glass when it falls out of the cart, another triple, then get my **** together to par the final for 87. Not exactly how I wanted to end the trip.

Epic meltdown on an epic course.

agsalaska
AG
Nice round at Rio Secco. Yes the tips are tough.

When I lived there the recession was in full swing and the courses were desperate for any money they could get. We would buy these coupons for 12 rounds, anytime, for $500 at Rio. I probably played that course 200 times in 3 years. We would occasionally switch it up and play the TPC or something else. But not very often.

Wolf Creek is worth the drive, but it is not the kind of course you want to play over and over again. It is a video game. But has some beautiful shots and is a cool experience. One summer I caught a good streak and was on fire. We went out to Wolf Creek, my one trip out there, and I threw up a crooked number. Course is hard.

Reflection Bay was closed back then.
1990AG
AG
Playing Canyon Gate and Bali Hai next week
Old School Brother
Managed to shoot 85 at Cascata on Monday in 20-30mph winds. Saw some big horn sheep on holes 1 and 2.
1990AG
AG
Canyongate was a disaster from a greens standpoint. Bali Hai was nice. Weather was brutal
agsalaska
AG
1990AG said:

Canyongate was a disaster from a greens standpoint. Bali Hai was nice. Weather was brutal
You mean the greens were in bad shape? Or your putting was in bad shape?

When I lived out there Canyon Gate was always in good shape and had some of the most difficult greens I have ever played. They were very very difficult.

Sazerac
AG
I have some great pics of the courses, but google photos is now a complete PITA about linking pics directly.
If someone is dying to see Wolf Creek or the others I can send you a link to an album.

I wanted to post the pick of Jeff Bezos' (supposedly) monster house on one of the fairways at Rio Secco.
agsalaska
AG
If you are talking about the house on 14, tat is the biggest house I have ever seen.

I may or may not have hit golf balls at it one day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.