Golf trip next summer

2,260 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigboykin
Doc4rock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc4rock
AG
Looking to go on golf trip next summer. Went to pinehurst two years ago and Bandon this year, where are great golfing trips?
booradley
AG
Must do's:
1. pebble Beach, spyglass, etc
2. Kohler courses
3. Ireland
4. Scotland
The Lost
Pebble and whisling straits would def be on the list as mentioned above
Ag_07
AG
Kiawah - Played The Ocean course while on vacation in Charleston and would LOVE to do a guys golf trip to play the other courses there.

RTJ trail - Looks like a good budget trip you can do on a long weekend.
Oso96
AG
All depends on your budget. I agree with all the suggestions so far and would love to go play in Ireland but haven't yet.

Others to think about, but it all depends on what you want to do besides golf.

Myrtle Beach is nice and tons of options.
Greenbriar was great but they have some issues right now.
Reynolds Plantation is a beautiful place.
Cabo san Lucas Diamante

In fact I'm going to Myrtle beach on Thursday with seven other guys and it always fun.
Ag_07
AG
Forgot about Cabo

Great golf there for relatively cheap. We played Palmilla and it was awesome.

I'd like to go back and play Quivara.
garym2001
AG
we did Milwaukee last summer:
Whistling Straits (top 100)
Irish
Black wolf Run- River (top 100) & Meadow
Erin Hills (top 100 & 2017 US Open)
Milwaukee Country Club (top 100)

did Scotland this Summer:
The Old Course
The Dukes Course
Kingsbarns
The Renaissance Club
North Berwick

Bandon is next
BigHitterDaLama
Did Scotland in 2012
Pebble/Spyglass and Sandpiper in 2013
Bandon in 2014 and 2015
Heading to Kohler next Sunday......

The great thing about Bandon is cost versus Scotland. And the service there is second to none. I've met some very nice Aggies both times I've been (ironically, both times while throwing back beers on the punchbowl).

If they could get more direct, affordable flights into North Bend Regional (Coos Bay), it would really make getting there much easier as that is only a 25 minute drive down to Bandon.
LHIOB
AG
Go to Scotland. Its worth it. No where else in America can replicate the conditions, the history and the feeling.

I've got Cabot Links on my list. Its in Nova Scotia.
BigHitterDaLama
quote:
Go to Scotland. Its worth it. No where else in America can replicate the conditions, the history and the feeling.

Scotland is a must if you can afford it. I wanna go back and play the courses we didnt have time for.
garym2001
AG
Aside from the flight, Scotland is very affordable, especially with he current exchange rate. Fortunately my company is based in Edinburgh and I go to London 4-5 times/yr. There are so many great courses that you can play for under $100. If you head east from Edinburgh, there is a 21 mile stretch of coastline that has over 20 golf courses. The Open rota courses will cost you $250ish, but everything else is reasonable. Nothing beats having a Scottish caddie navigate you around The Old Course. My list for next time include Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale, Muirfield and Carnoustie.

BigHitterDaLama
quote:
Aside from the flight, Scotland is very affordable, especially with he current exchange rate. Fortunately my company is based in Edinburgh and I go to London 4-5 times/yr. There are so many great courses that you can play for under $100. If you head east from Edinburgh, there is a 21 mile stretch of coastline that has over 20 golf courses. The Open rota courses will cost you $250ish, but everything else is reasonable. Nothing beats having a Scottish caddie navigate you around The Old Course. My list for next time include Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale, Muirfield and Carnoustie.

Gotta go to Turnberry and Kingsbarn....Both in top 50 courses to play in world.
booradley
AG
quote:

respectfully, id tap the brakes on cabot... the new cliffs course is spectacular... while the links course is grossly over-rated.

I went last year... a very difficult trip for one great course...

just my 2 cents... but I like to go on trips with multiple great course options....
LHIOB
AG
Thats good to know. Thanks for the info.

We are doing Ireland next year anyway so it would have been a few years out.
booradley
AG
quote:
Thats good to know. Thanks for the info.

We are doing Ireland next year anyway so it would have been a few years out.
let me know if you need any Ireland recommendations or a guy to put a package together for you. one of my good buddies runs a golf travel business in Ireland. he arranges Scotland trips as well... he can get you on most everything and he lives next to lahinch..
LHIOB
AG
Thanks! My dad actually planned the trip for us. He did Scotland 100% on his own and every part of the trip was first class.

If we run into any snags I'll hit you up!
garym2001
AG
quote:
quote:

Played Kingsbarns a month ago. Breathtaking!
BigHitterDaLama
quote:
quote:
quote:

Played Kingsbarns a month ago. Breathtaking!
Maybe my most favorite course Ive ever played.....and that was hungover badly on the first 8 holes (drank til 3am that morning in Edinburgh while watching the US Open From Olympic Club live.....was when Tiger was at the top of leaderboard before fizzling."
bigboykin
AG
I've only played a couple of the RTJ courses, but they were top notch and a great value at the price. For a domestic, somewhat bargain trip I think RTJ should definitely be on the list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.