2016 Ryder Cup!

52,874 Views | 731 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by stick93
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A few months out, let's start talking the team. Here's the current breakdown:

1. Dustin Johnson 11,860.361 points
2. Jordan Spieth 11,179.143
3. Phil Mickelson 5,764.936
4. Jimmy Walker 5,337.662
5. Brooks Koepka 4,688.830
6. Zach Johnson 4,297.160
7. J.B. Holmes 4,149.716
8. Brandt Snedeker 4,086.115

9. Bubba Watson 4,008.084
10. Patrick Reed 3,999.405
11. Matt Kuchar 3,933.965
12. Rickie Fowler 3,768.946

Interestingly, 9-12 are the ones representing the USA in the Olympics.

Who do you see getting in? Who you think would be captains picks? Of the current 4 outside the top 8, only Reed has been great. Fowler has been bad and Kuchar and Bubba mediocre.
KC_Ag14
AG
Full disclosure: the Ryder Cup is my favorite sporting event. May make me a weirdo, but I can't wait for the end of September to get here.

That said, the last three have been infuriating. While I want our guys to represent our country well, I also want there to be zero doubt that the Americans are there to do one thing: kick the Euro's ***. At the moment, all I can think about is Phil clapping and giving a thumbs up to Rose after he drained that long putt in '14... think Rose is doing the same if it's the other way around? This isn't a friendly, Phil!

I digress. I just want guys on the squad that want to beat the Europeans, more than just enjoy the experience. More guys like Holmes. He might not be the most consistent guy of this group, but I remember his passion in the '08 Ryder Cup and it translated into success. And God how I wish we still had Anthony Kim. The American team needs more guys like that.

BTHO Europe
Matsui
AG
Reed for sure.
jonj101
quote:
Reed for sure.

Absolutely.
Quinn
AG
Bubba and Fowler will be picks if they don't get enough points. I would expect Reed as well. Not sure who will get the call on the 4th pick, but I'd rather not see Sketchers out there.
19AG84
AG
Whoever is on that team had better be ready to fight. The USA needs a victory. Incidentally, I will be there in full Aggie apparel all week!!!
Blaine_Bishop
I think it's very likely that those 12 guys listed in the OP are all on the team either by making it through top 8 or captains picks. Somebody like Haas or Piercy or Furyk would have to do really well over the next few weeks to be picked ahead of any of those guys.
Quinn
AG
After looking through the list, you are probably right. Maybe Furyk instead of Kutch for the final spot? Justin Thomas, Horschel, or Finau if they go on a big run in the playoffs?
ORAggieFan
I'd like to see Justin Thomas if he has a good finish.
KC_Ag14
AG
Call me crazy, but I wish we'd have guys like Keegan and Dufner back on the squad. Both played awesome at Medinah. Granted, they were playing better back then, but guys like Keegan are the type I'd rather go down swinging with than the likes of Kuchar and Furyk in this event. Match play takes a different attitude than those guys present... Just one man's opinion.
ORAggieFan
Hasn't played as well lately, but I was thinking Charlie Hoffman earlier in the season.
KC_Ag14
AG
Well, the 8 are set! Personally, don't really hate the way it shook out.

You're DL3... Who're your 4?!?

Mine:
-Fowler
-Kuchar
-Watson
-Holmes
Ag_07
AG
Here are the AQs

Dustin Johnson
Jordan Spieth
Phil Mickelson
Patrick Reed
Jimmy Walker
Brooks Koepka
Brandt Snedeker
Zach Johnson

As far as Captain's Picks I'd go Watson and Fowler for sure then I have no clue.

I think the Ryder Cup comes down to clutch putting so I'd look long and hard and guys who have consistently been good with the putter.
Quinn
AG
I'd go with:

Watson
Thomas
Na
Fowler, I guess? Not crazy about picking him after the year he has had.
Deluxe
AG
Automatics
Dustin Johnson
Jordan Spieth
Phil Mickelson
Patrick Reed
Jimmy Walker
Brooks Koepka
Brandt Snedeker
Zach Johnson

Captain's Picks
Bubba Watson
Matt Kuchar
Rickie Fowler
Justin Thomas

Trying to think of how I'd work the pod system from there. Just a guess...

Pod 1:
Spieth
Reed
Mickelson
Thomas

Pod 2:
Fowler
Walker
Watson
Koepka

Pod 3:
D Johnson
Kuchar
Z Johnson
Snedeker

98Ag99Grad
AG
Fowler (0-3-5) and Watson (3-8-0) do nothing for me personally. I'd like to see someone like a Ryan Moore or Bill Haas get a shot over either of them. Fine with Kuchar. Whoever is hottest coming out of the FedEx playoffs should get the 4th spot, regardless of their standing on the points list. That was the whole point of changing the selection timetable wasn't it?
KC_Ag14
AG
The more I think about it, the more I agree with you. Beginning to not want Fowler or Watson... they'll probably be more worried about getting everything on SnapChat than they will be about getting the W. Haas sealed the victory for the U.S. in the President's Cup... that could be valuable experience. Moore is playing the best he has all year. Will be interesting to see how DL3 goes.
Sazerac
AG
can't take Fowler.
terrible record and he just choked coming down the stretch at Bethpage.

98Ag99Grad
AG
He's on the committee and well liked so I'm sure he'll be picked, but yes, agree they should pass on him. He's blown leads last week, at Quail Hollow, and at Phoenix this year.
STL_aTm
AG
Pretty interesting piece about what players think of other Ryder Cup teammates and opponents. Anonymous of course.
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-secrets-from-undercover-pros
Sazerac
AG
according to that everybody sucks
Big Cat `93
AG
The descriptions of Kjeldsen and the Mechanic getting in Keegan's head were pretty good.
19AG84
AG
I would like to see them add some guys that putt lights out. The Ryder Cup comes down to missing or making putts. Watson is a terrible putter (and not the best teammate). I hope he is not a Captains pick.
AustinCountyAg
I'd go with Haas, Bubba, Kuch, and personally I'd love for someone like Kisner to get a shot. He's had a pretty solid year and he seems like the kind of guy who can get his piss hot and fire up the team
Ag_07
AG
Fowler, Kuchar, and J.B. Holmes added as captain's picks
Bunk Moreland
quote:
according to that everybody sucks

So the American and the European giving their "takes" was Johnny Miller?
Yesterday
AG
I like Rickie but he hasn't showed up in the Ryder Cup and hasn't done anything lately.
Bunk Moreland
yeah i think we should have left Rickie off. Give it to guys who have played well, let's get some swagger and go whoop their ass.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Total sell-out move picking Fowler. Knew he would since he's on the task force and well liked but his play right now nor his RC history merits a pick. I'm fine with Kuchar and Holmes. Pleasantly surprised Bubba wasn't included and hope it remains that way. You already have a bomber in Holmes, and he putts better than Bubba. As I previously stated, I'd go with whoever is hottest after the Tour Championship. Would love to see a rookie like Berger or Moore play their way in or even Dufner if he can win it all.
Quinn
AG
Don't like Rickie getting selected even though I'm a fan of his. I'd be fine with Moore, Berger, or Na instead.
Big Cat `93
AG
Na has been consistently strong this year. I'd like to see him get the call.
Sazerac
AG
But he's super face punchable
jja79
AG
Clique membership has benefits.
Quinn
AG
quote:
But he's super face punchable
Which is great - get in the heads of the Euros. I'm sure they will dread being paired with him.
aggiedent
AG
As long as the US keeps picking players like Fowler, who are playing poorly leading up to the Ryder Cup, the US will keep losing. But hey, since it didn't work the last few Ryder Cups, I'm sure things will be different this time. Sarcasm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.