Masters Housing Options

1,467 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BarryProfit
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Next year will be my first time attending the Masters, and I wanted to get a feel of preferred housing options from those of you who have attended the event in the past. Our tickets are for a Monday practice round, so we were thinking of staying somewhere within reasonable range Sunday night, heading to AN early Monday morning, and then spending Monday night in the same place.

I understood going into it that everything would be more expensive during the tournament, but considering my searches are revealing ridiculous prices for even the Microtel Inn, so far I'm considering two options:

1) Air Bnb - the shared room service has a few options in Augusta that are priced good. However I've never used this option before and am somewhat apprehensive about renting a room in someone's house. My wife prefers this idea because it will be a shorter drive than my second option,

2) Stay in Columbia, SC and drive about an hour in to AN, and then an hour in the evening. This seems like the better option to me because the room choices are plentiful and reasonably priced, and apparently there are significant food options in Columbia. After walking the course and spending the entire day at AN, I don't think an hour drive will be that bad.

Either way we're going to have a rental car because we're flying into either Atlanta or Charleston (Free flights with Southwest), so I'm wondering if we do the Columbia option if there is anything in the town/area that would make it worthwhile to spend an extra day or two to experience.

TIA for suggestions.
khaos288
AG
Has your wife stayed in an AirBnB before? even my best experiences weren't exactly praise worthy
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have been 4 years in a row. 2 years we have rented a house in Columbia and 2 years we had rooms in Augusta. I prefer the former, even with the drive factored in. Last year our house had 3 bedrooms, a badass pool, pool table and full outdoor kitchen.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
look at the value place in augusta

2995 River Watch Parkway, Augusta, GA 30907

$200 per night. Its very cheap but if you were like us we only showered and slept there. 2 queens.

Bonus there is a waffle house on the way to AN that is a great spot for a 6am breakfast on the way to the grounds.

for the 2 nights we were there we were in the room maybe 14 hours and 12 of those were sleeping.

never mind i just saw you are bringing the RIB. Pay up for a badass house with a pool and try to weasel in some butt stuff why you are there.
Matsui
AG
Airbnb all depends on the place rented. Saying Airbnb are bad isn't right.
DOCAG79
AG
Stayed in Aiken, SC this past tourney at a new Hilton Garden Inn. Paid $180/night and was a great room! Only about 35-40 minutes from the course.
SARATOGA
quote:
Pay the Extra money and spend the extra 30 minutes on a plane to go to Columbia !

We went for Monday practice round last year and flew into Atlanta. Stayed near the airport, drove the 2+ hours to AN and the 2+ hours back before and after.

Don't do that.

Augusta is awesome (Disneyland for Adults) if you've never been....but 4 hours in the car, and 8 hours of walking makes for a long, long day. And ship the stuff you buy in the gift shop back....don't carry it around all day. Totally worth the $20 in shipping.

We didn't get drawn this year (so much sadness), but if we get drawn in future years, we'll definitely do Columbia !!!

BarryProfit
We've done it a few different ways. My main tip is to stay close to the course, everything you'll want to do is close by and it sucks to have to drive very far esp at night if you enjoy cocktails. Most recently we stayed at the Super 8 on Washington, it was crappy but not super crappy by Augusta standards, and everything is expensive so put that out of your mind. Also most of the homes will require a longer stay than what you are looking to do.

Have fun it's the best.
Wildcat
AG
10 yrs ago you couldn't get a house in Augusta for less than the week and 10K, but I have not tried in the AirBNB era. The game may have changed.

I've done it a couple of ways.

Columbia is a little over an hour. Great place to stay with lots going on downtown.

Greeneville SC has an Embassy Suites associated with The Preserve. Nothing fancy but the Stay and Play package was very affordable and decent golf. Still a 1.5 hr drive out. Will do again.

Aiken Golf Club just over the river in SC has a course sometimes called The Little Masters. Fun little track and there are places to stay, but far more pricey because of the location.
BarryProfit
What time do you guys that drive an hour to get to the course usually arrive at Augusta? We were in line this year by 5:30-6:00 to get a front row chair spot, I can't imagine having to drive a hour to get there and then an hour back to your hotel after a day of drinking beer and watching golf. Also if you like nightlife the area around the course of pretty fun on tourney days. JMHO.
jonj101
quote:
What time do you guys that drive an hour to get to the course usually arrive at Augusta? We were in line this year by 5:30-6:00 to get a front row chair spot, I can't imagine having to drive a hour to get there and then an hour back to your hotel after a day of drinking beer and watching golf. Also if you like nightlife the area around the course of pretty fun on tourney days. JMHO.

When you got there that early, were you towards the front of the line? Or was there already a crowd in front of you?
BarryProfit
Pretty close to front, close enough to get in first row on #16. Make sure to use the correct gate entrance though depending on where you want to be.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.