Tigger officially done for this season

2,659 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by fireinthehole
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pulls out of remaining events

Percentage he:
Wins another tournament (I say 90%)
Wins another major (I say 25%)
Becomes number 1 in the world (I say <1%)
att hello
He's going to be lucky to finish four rounds of tournament golf again. He's doing the right thing by resting, but I don't think he will ever be healthy enough to be good again.
jj9000
AG
CapCityAg89
AG
Much depends on the swing he chooses to attempt on his return. If he goes for that violent, twisting swing that puts so much pressure on his legs and back, he's screwed. I think he's talented, athletic and driven enough to have another sustained run of greatness, but I do not think he can do it putting over-whelming stress on his body. Just an old man's opinion.
Blaine_Bishop
All of your percentages are way too high
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd say less than 10%, less than 5%, and zero. That back is simply toast, and it's not like fixing an ACL.
ORAggieFan
At this point I'd be surprised if he plays 10 more tournaments.
07fta07
AG
0.1%
0%
0%
gdjudge19
Tigger played golf? I thought Pooh would've mentioned that...
jokes aside, I simply don't see Tiger winning again. Too much stress on knees/back/body for him at this point. Suffering from his violent swing early on.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Here is the only reason why I never say never - Tom Watson at 59 years old and 26 years since his last major was an 8 footer away from winning the British.

That said, that is the category Tiger has moved into in my book. Anything great is going to be a freak occurance.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
He's 40 years old and he has taken a year off from golf from his surgery in September. At 41 years old, father time is catching up and he has 0% chance for a major (can't stay healthy and mentally toast) and a 5% chance he puts 4 rounds together at somewhere like John Deere or Puerto Rico.

Watson never struggled with injuries like Tiger. This is not a Couples back issue, this has been legs, back, wrist, brain, wrist, back, brain, etc.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
Here is the only reason why I never say never - Tom Watson at 59 years old and 26 years since his last major was an 8 footer away from winning the British.

Tom is now in his 60's and has less physical ailments than Tiger. Less emotional scar tissue as well. Plus Tiger has physical issues that keep recurring, especially with his swing. Not a good comparison.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some of you are being way too literal and are missing the forest for the trees on my point. My point is simply that in this game, freaky-ass things can happen in a 4 day window, and any success Tiger has will be freak.

When someone does have natural talent - no matter how long and how deep it has been buried by a myriad of injuries or time or other issues, sometimes it can surface for just long enough to win a tournament out of the blue. May never happen. May only happen once. But this is a game that leaves the door open for the freak occurance. The list of players that had no business winning or almost winning is not short.
powerbelly
AG
quote:

Percentage he:
Wins another tournament - 80%
Wins another major - 5%
Becomes number 1 in the world - 0%
watty
AG
I'm as big a Tiger fan as you'll find, but at this point, I have no idea on the percentages but I don't think he'll win another major, and I think he will win a few tournaments over the next decade. Catch lightning in a bottle for a week.
Texmid
AG
It is impossible to know his mindset. At the tour pro level the game is almost all mental. You know he is paying some serious cash to get healthy, physically. The big question will be his mental state. If he is happy in his off-course life he certainly has the ability to put together numerous wins.
JYDog90
AG
I think he has virtually no chance to win another full field event. He may win one of these invitational things during the silly season.
antman8504
AG
0% chance to win a regular PGA tour event? LOL. he is only 40, not 50 people. Yes, he has had tons of injures, but zero percent chance? By arguably the best player of all time or at minimum the second best player of all time? Some of you are blind by your hate.

I am not saying that he wins another event for sure. At this point who knows, but I would bet on Tiger to win 1 event in the next 10 years and I would like my chances.
ClassOf17
quote:

Percentage he:
Wins another tournament (I say 90%)
Wins another major (I say 25%)
Becomes number 1 in the world (I say <1%)

Those are some big numbers

Wins another event (that matters) 15%
Major: 5%
#1 0%
birdman
People seem to forget something about Tiger. Before this layoff and surgery, he wasn't competitive. In fact, he was crappy.
LeFraud
People also forget he won 5 times 3 years ago. Yes, a lot has happen since then. I think (or hope) tiger realizes this is it, and that he needs to be %100 healthy before giving it a go. If he can legitimately get to %100 healthy, there is no doubt he can win again, including at least one major.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's never going to be 100% healthy. Bad discs never fully recover. Once they're blown, they're blown. They bulge and disintigrate and all that can really be done is to clean up debris. His best chance is if cleaning up the debris (which he's had 3-4+ surgeries attempt to do) mitigates the nerve irritation and weakness enough to have a functional swing. But that back will never be healthy.

Edit: ignore the emoji. Misfire
fireinthehole
68 years old here. Played since 5. Missing all 5 of the lower lumbar disks since 1980's. I can still hit it. Occasionally in the high 70's on easy course. 90's on difficult courses from the back tees. However, playing well two days in s row is not happening, and has not been for over 20 years. Hard to walk next day. When I do play, I take 4 ibuprofen before 1 tee, and 4 more at the turn. Tiger has a chance if it is mid disks, but not much of a chance
fireinthehole
Posting again to add that Tiger's scores had been getting higher after the first round. That is a good indicator of back issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.