Mizuno Performance Fitting

3 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggie369
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone used? Looks like an interesting way to get fitted for a shaft.
K Bo
AG
The Shaft Optimizer was used during my fitting. It spit out some suggestions and we went from there. Built some clubs and let the numbers do the talking from there. I went in using KBS Tour S and left with PX 6.0. Suggested were KBS C-Taper S, DG S300, and PX 6.0. It wasn't really anything groundbreaking for me but I could see where it could be for someone that has no clue about equipment or their swing dynamics.
jj9000
AG
Yes...I've used the Optimizer extensively.

It will give you the following:

Swing Speed - based on 3 swings
Tempo - lower number is slower tempo...higher number is faster tempo
Toe Down - can't remember...something along the lines of kick
Release - lower number is late release...higher number is early release

The Optimizer will take your data and spit out (3) recommended shafts...usually similar in profile and weight.

Don't get too wrapped up in the numbers (trust me...I have)...because the Optimizer is nothing more than a starting point for you to begin testing shafts based on your personal swing characteristics.

Really good tool...but, again...not the end-all-be-all...its just a starting point.

Sazerac
AG
seems better than the dude at Golfsmith who told me I should be in a stiff or X-stiff because I was swinging a 6/7 iron at 82 MPH.
there was an interesting case study I read which showed no correlation to just swing speed and the shaft that gives you best distance and accuracy.

Icecream_Ag
S
I'm on the low end of recommended swing speed for stiff shafts, but I regular flex shafts are too whippy for lack of a better term.
Sazerac
AG
"I'm on the low end of recommended swing speed for stiff shafts"

From what I'm reading there is no correlation between swing speed and best shaft stiffness....especially since stiffness differs between brands.
powerbelly
AG
There are many factors of which swing speed is just one.
jj9000
AG
quote:
There are many factors of which swing speed is just one.
This.

Edit...Weight, Tempo, and Release matter as much (or more) than swingspeed as a standlone.

For example...take a look at Stenson's vs. Sergio's swing...Stenson generates tons of speed...but he doesn't load the shaft as hard...or release as late as Sergio.

Swingspeed differences between the two are only ~3-4 MPH with the Driver.

They have very different swings, and that's part of the reason they play very different shafts.

Their shafts are almost opposite of each other.

Stenson = Modus 120X

Sergio = Modus 130X

Here is a graph of the shaft profiles.

I've owned both, and they feel and perform very very differently.

Sazerac
AG
Ok, what factors? Can they be measured or tested?

Besides this Mizuno tool is there anything else?

Otherwise it's just hitting combinations of shafts and club heads one by one?

AggieC07
AG
I went to GolfTec to get fitted for some irons, the guy who fitted me was an ex-Mizuno Tour Tech and used these. I think the main thing it measures is your swing tempo.

I'm not real sure how helpful it was in my case.
K Bo
AG
Johnny Lee?
AggieC07
AG
Yes Sir.
K Bo
AG
he did my fitting, as well. I had a great experience.
AggieC07
AG
I agree, I would recommend.
Sazerac
AG
I ended up going to Swanson's and worked with Daryl Parrot. It was way less scientific than I thought it would be, but Trackman was nice hitting into a range and I got to hit off of grass once I zeroed in.
Oknows
AG
Daryl is really good. He had a pretty good idea what I needed after watching me hit my driver a dozen times. Took very little time to find the right shaft and then we went through heads until we found a good combination of what I liked as far as look, sound, etc and trackman numbers. He knows trackman well.
Sazerac
AG
Just heard my Ping I series from the fitting will be delivered tomorrow! 10 business days from the order, and they were delayed apparently waiting on some new clubheads.

Agree that Daryl knew Trackman and was good to work with. Just expected (desired?) more science and less trial and error. I was surprised to find out
1. he played JR Tennis, didn't take up golf til late in college
2. he doesn't even play or practice much anymore (yet he's still scratch)

He's not a big guy and he can absolutely smash the ball. His flight is PGA good. Fantastic swing.

Sazerac
AG
Ping accidently sent my clubs to the Swanson center today, but Daryl was nice enough to meet near my house on his way home. Good service!
Aggie369
AG
Trackman is the way to go...especially if u can also hit off grass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.