Golf-Spa Texas getaway

1,122 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Poot
JarAG2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and i are looking for a spa/golf getaway to get away from the kids for a few nights. She agreed to golf, if i agreed to spa. So we are looking at some Texas areas to avoid the flying costs. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

So far we have looked are looking at:

• La Cantera- not sure which course is better for views or playing...?
  • Horsehoe Bay- not sure which course either
  • JW Marriott- again which course
  • Lost Pines
  • The Woodlands

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas to help us decide.
suprafly03
AG
Interested to hear as well...
Ag_07
AG
We're looking to take a quick trip as well before our first kiddo arrives and I looked at each of these. I was shocked at how expensive these resorts were. I'm not paying $1200 to spend a long weekend in a hotel in the hill country. Add on food, shopping, spa, golf etc and you're looking at $2K for the weekend. Sorry but not when you can do a trip to Cancun or the likes for the same price.

We settled on Tapatio Springs in Boerne. Not the swankyness of the ones mentioned but they've got a pool, spa, nice golf, and pretty close to San Antonio for a night out and dinner. It was way cheaper than the others.

I would also suggest a B&B that has a spa. There's plenty of nice golf options in the hill country and you get a bit more secluded accommodations. We've stayed in a cottage here for a long weekend before and loved it.

CapCity12thMan
AG
we do this frequently, but have a propensity due to point accumulation to stay at Hyatt properties. We have done Lost Pines a ton, and have done Hill Country Hyatt as well. You won't be disappointed with either.

I will say if you are getting away without kids, these places are going to be loaded with kids, so you may want to try and find a place that doesn't cater to kids at all, if that is your preference.

We are probably heading to the JW in San Antonio in the next month for something new.

If you want to save a little, you could try Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, however it doesn't have a spa or golf, but the Hill Country Hyatt is 2 minutes away - not sure how that would work to use those facilities.
CTGilley
AG
If you are looking to get away from the kids wait until school starts. If I was not looking at price Lost Pines would be my choice to play Wolf Dancer. My wife prefers the JW.

I was looking at doing the same thing a couple months ago. I think La Cantera was the cheapest. We ended up backing out and getting a cabin in the Hill County for the weekend.
Pabby
AG
Barton Creek has groupon deals from time to time. The wife and I did one not too long ago and it wasn't super cheap but the groupon definitely softened the blow. Great golf and from what she said great spa.
Ragoo
AG
Going to Austin for a night Saturday and lost pines sun-wed. Playing wolf dancer twice and wife is getting expecting mother massage.
powerbelly
AG
Lajitas has pretty good package deals with flights on their jet out of Love Field in Dallas. Blackjack Crossing is a blast and they have a Spa onsite.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I can get you a week at an all inclusive in Mexico with free golf and spa credit for 2500 bucks. You can stay at any of these

www.palaceresorts.com

I suspect a long weekend at any of those resorts will cost 1500 at least with food/spa/golf/drinks for 1/2 the time
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Matsui
AG
JW Marriot TPC SA
Wolfdancer
Hyatt Hill Country Resort
Barton Creek Resorts
Mr.Bond
AG
Blackjack Crossing
antman8504
AG
I have not played here before but a friend of mine has and said it was pretty good.

http://www.cypressbend.com/

This is in Louisiana on the Texas boarder (about 3 hour drive from CS). They have a Spa too.
Poot
Not sure if the Cypressbend referral is legitimate or not...

That place is a total dump. I can't give it enough thumbs down.
antman8504
AG
quote:
Not sure if the Cypressbend referral is legitimate or not...

That place is a total dump. I can't give it enough thumbs down.
really? Like I said I have not played it but a friend did tell me he enjoyed the course. But I can't vouch for it personally.
Poot
Yeah, really. Not good. At all.

The course is "kind of" interesting from a layout perspective, but the conditioning is atrocious.

The amenities are old and dated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.