broke 80

1,435 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bagger05
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm up in Denver visiting a friend and I went and played my old home track yesterday. A quaint little par 70 muni course called Willis Case.

I showed up, immediately got grouped with the people about to tee off, and off we went. Mostly just typical bogey golf on the front. I was hitting it pretty well but my game wasn't super crisp. Three pars, four bogeys, two doubles, 43.

The back nine starts out with a stretch of very gettable holes. I made par on #10, a short par 3. Made par on #11, a very short risk reward par 4. #12 is a very short par 5. Hit a great drive, a great long iron into the green, just missed a 15-footer for eagle, and tapped in for birdie. Routine par on #13. Another birdie on #14, a short easy par 4. Shanked my approach into #15 and ended up with bogey. Two great shots on #16, a tough uphill par 4. Had a good look at birdie and damn near fanned my putt. Left it about five feet short but I stepped up and poured it in the heart for par. Thinned my tee shot into par 3 #17 left me chipping out of some thick rough over a bunker. Put it to about six feet and drained the putt for par. Duck hooked my drive on #18 into the #1 fairway. Hit it dead into a tree on my approach and was left at the base of the trunk and had to punch out. Chipped on to about five feet and drained the putt for bogey.

+8 on the front, even par on the back for a 78. First time ever in the 70s. The funny thing is that on the back I didn't feel like I was on fire or anything. I actually hit several really bad shots. Just made a few clutch five or six foot putts, took advantage of the two easiest holes, and avoided blowing up when I hit a bad shot and got out of position.
Sazerac
AG
Sounds similar to my low round.

Estes Park, Colorado.
Easy track with a bunch of short holes + altitude.
Paired up with a group in the AM and started right away with no practice.
Bogied 6 of the first 8 holes for 42
Then 5 under on the back for 31 = 73

2DollarYo
AG
quote:
Just made a few clutch five or six foot putts, took advantage of the two easiest holes, and avoided blowing up when I hit a bad shot and got out of position.

Can't be overstated enough. Congrats on your low round. Now the hunt for your sub75 round begins!

Yesterday
AG
Feels so good!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Congrats! Wish I could say that I could do the same!
bagger05
AG
In case you were wondering I started out the day today going +10 in my first five holes.
jj9000
AG
Congrats, bud.

Well done!
agsalaska
AG
Well done.
bigfoot10s
AG
Sounds like a great round!

I've hit 79 twice and 78 once. Not sure I'll ever see 75 and under. Don't play enough to feel good about it. But tomorrow is my next chance....
jonj101
Congrats bagger.

I've told myself I'm not allowed to play Pebble Beach until I break 80. Still working towards it, but I have a ways to go.
CapCityAg89
AG
3 inch tap in putts count just as much as any other shot. A score goes way down when you're making 5-10 foot putts. Bogie golfers usually miss those and are left with tap ins.
bagger05
AG
The golf ball display looks a little happier this morning.

Sazerac
AG
Preparing for an eventual 65 I see?
bagger05
AG
No, bottom shelf is for aces.
LHIOB
AG
That Cruden Bay ball is making my feet hurt. Shot a smooth 55-40 there.

Congrats on breaking 80. I had a career high 6 birdies a few weeks ago. I was on or next to every par five in 2 and birdied 3 of them. I also drove 2 par 4s and birdied each of those.

Of course I shot a stellar 87 yesterday so..........
bagger05
AG
I played pretty well at Cruden Bay. It was a sweet course. At the top of the second tier of the ones I played. One of several 89s on that trip. I shot remarkably consistent scores everywhere on that trip with the exception of Crail where I shot something like 98.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.