Tapatio Springs Resort in Boerne

3,336 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgsMyDude
AgEngr16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be there this weekend and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on the course?
Ag_07
AG
Not sure but lemme know.

It's on the list for a weekend getaway with the wife.
07fta07
AG
It's a neat place. It's been several years since I've been, and it wasn't in the best shape at the time, but it was still fun. They've since changed ownership and I've heard it's in much better condition now. Plans to get back out there keep falling through.
Ag_07
AG
I did see they dumped a couple million into a big course redo in 2015. Apparently they got new tee boxes, new bunkers, new irrigation system, and rebuilt several greens.

I've never played out there before, but it's apparently it's turning around and getting back to it's old glory.
07fta07
AG
If it's in good shape, it would be a great course. Very different layout and a lot of fun.
If you go, go into town and eat/drink at the Dodging Duck.
BoerneGator
AG
Haven't played it since January, but it should be in great shape, given the rain we've had. It's now run by a golf Mgt. Co. I'm gonna play it this afternoon!
AgEngr16
AG
Thanks for the thoughts! Will let y'all know how it plays.

Dodging Duck a local favorite?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Let us know how it looks. I haven't played there in over 20 years but it was once a great course.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
Thanks for the thoughts! Will let y'all know how it plays.

Dodging Duck a local favorite?
Not a fan myself. Chick food and craft beer, so my wife likes it. I prefer Little Gretel a block east at 518 River Road; especially their breakfast. Also, check out Mary's Tacos on Blanco for takeout tacos. Best around! Not a big fan of Boerne eateries. Our favorite place to eat out is The Grille in Leon Springs (about 8 miles toward SA on I-10).
07fta07
AG
I've been once but they had some damn good beer, a unique menu and a nice little patio. I think I had an antelope burger that was really good. But, I've been once.
STL_aTm
AG
Playing this afternoon... I'll try and leave some birdies out there for you!
STL_aTm
AG
I left plenty birdies for you...
Ag_07
AG
quote:
I left plenty birdies for you...

What course review! Thanks buddy
AgEngr16
AG
Went to Little Grettle. Had an elk schnitzel. Some of the best I've ever eaten. It was prepared by a guest chef from Prague.
Golf course looks great! Hope I find some birdies STL_aTm left for me
JYDog90
AG
The best elk schnitzel you've ever eaten?
Ag_07
AG
Sandiaman91
AG
I played 9 there on Sunday, before we got rained out. I had played the Palmer/La Cantera in the morning, and the 2 are worlds apart. That being said, Tapatio was at the last stage of recovery from having the greens punched, so they were a little rough. I will be back there though. I liked the lay out, not really very long but still a cool place to spend an afternoon. No problem getting rain check, pro shop was very helpful. All in all, I was happy with the place and like I said, I'll go back.
"The goat rope continues..." -RGV AG
water turkey
Speaking of Caddy Shack, we had a family reunion there are couple of years ago and there was a human turd in the pool.
STL_aTm
AG
I was probably in the clubhouse with you getting a rain check haha it got pretty rough out there for a little bit
AgEngr16
AG
The course was well put together and made club selection important if you are a long hitter ~300-325yds. Couple of the par 4's are able to be reached in one. Fun course to play. Like was mentioned, the greens were pretty beat up from being overhauled. Definitely will be back.

By the way, they have a special right now where you get a free round of golf if you tour the clubhouse area as a prospective member, so my round was on them
Ag_07
AG
Thanks

We're gonna spend a long weekend there, but it won't be until the end of September so hopefully the greens will get back up to snuff by then.

I just wanted to make sure it was a decent course and I didn't need to find somewhere else to play
aggiecody06
I'm headed there this weekend will let ya know how it's looking.
BoerneGator
AG
Played there twice last week. The course has completely healed up from the last drought, although the greens are nothing special. They were verticut recently so should be ideal by the fall.
AgsMyDude
AG
Is the course a traditional Hill country style? Or more of a flat setup?
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
Well, it's mostly relatively flat, as it is built along a live creek that meanders thru the middle of it, but there are several holes with from 20-50' of elevation change. it's surrounded by sheer cliffs and picturesque vistas of beautiful homes on the ridges and surrounding hills. It's a gorgeous venue, with towering oaks, pecans and elms lining most of the fairways. It's not that tight, but enough that you can't just bomb it with impunity. There's quite a bit of water and sand as well.
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
quote:
Well, it's mostly relatively flat, as it is built along a live creek that meanders thru the middle of it, but there are several holes with from 20-50' of elevation change. it's surrounded by sheer cliffs and picturesque vistas of beautiful homes on the ridges and surrounding hills. It's a gorgeous venue, with towering oaks, pecans and elms lining most of the fairways. It's not that tight, but enough that you can't just bomb it with impunity. There's quite a bit of water and sand as well.
Thanks! Heading out there in a couple weekends to check it out. Sounds awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.