Let's play a game

5,200 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
Just an Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Tursiops93
AG
quote:
quote:
In todays game with laser range finders, more people know how far they hit than they used to. Of course there are factors involved with every shot/round but there is no way I would doubt anyone who I haven't seen play. I am 45 now and still carry my drives 260-270 with varying amounts of roll. I hit several drives every round in the 300-320 range dependent on all of the variables. My buddies and I are always trying to outdo each other and have measured these shots out of fun. BTW...I also hit 10-15 fairways a round routinely.

Based on this paragraph, you are the best driver of the golf ball in the world today. Henrik Stenson is #2 on Tour in total driving. He only hits 69% of his fairways (whereas you hit anywhere from 70% on a bad day to 107% on a good day) and he only manages to average 292 yards, whereas your average, according to the above, must be somewhere in the 290 range as well (crediting you with just 3 drives per round of 310 yards and 11 drives of just 285, which is very conservative based on what you said).

So I'm really not trying to be rude, but just trying to point out what things look like using real numbers. If your numbers were true, you would be the best driver in the world by a pretty large margin. At age 45.
And I am not gonna get into a pissing contest either. You are comparing my play on local golf courses, with wider fairways, less rough, etc., to a tour player on much narrower fairways, with longer more penalizing rough. They also measure only 2 holes per round for driving distance on the tour and not every time do the pros hit the fairway or even use a driver.

I play on a local course with very wide and forgiving fairways. I have a laser range finder and I use it often. I am a 0 hcp here and regardless of what you may assume or think, I do hit a lot of fairways ON MY HOME COURSE. SO you can judge and assume all you wish, I don't really care, but without trying to be rude, you were.

Have a great day.
watty
AG
quote:
They also measure only 2 holes per round for driving distance on the tour and not every time do the pros hit the fairway or even use a driver.
On the holes measured (according to the link in the post above yours, it's now on its own thread), players are using driver about 95% of the time.
CTGilley
AG
quote:
Maybe everyone that answered is in their 20's and legitimately hits the ball that far...lots of variables in just a few responses. A buddy of mine hits the ball 300+ every drive. Problem is more often than not it is in a lake, next fairway, several fairways over, trees, etc. I'm a few yards shorter but there's a reason I'm a single digit and he's pushing 20. Fairways and greens.
And my 5'2" wife drives the ball 230+.
Are you talking about me?

I have backed off since then and my HDC no longer matches my age.

Getting older helps.

Also, My 5'2" wife can almost hit her 6 iron 50 yards.
07fta07
AG
Nope, but I was referring to another poster (or former poster) here.
CapCity12thMan
AG

quote:
The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not. (101)

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.html

I think if people genuinely followed these parameters, their results would be different than what they *think* they are.

Here's my recent round (Morris Williams Golf Course, Austin, TX):

Avg: 274.5 If you throw out highest and lowest, Avg: 273.5

If I were to have picked just two holes to measure, the avg. distance could have been as low as 240+255=247.5 or as high as 320+305=312, a 65 yard difference!

What does all this mean? I don't really know. I'll just reiterate what I said before...sometimes I can take it deep, others times not so much, average to about 280...turns out it was 275 for this one round.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.