Let's play a game

5,184 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just for fun, let's play a game. Everyone send me your course distances and handicaps, and I'll remove the names and post them here. Then we'll try and guess handicaps based on the distances. Whoever's closest wins a sleeve of balls from me or something. Just for reference here is mine.

Handicap 17.7

https://imgur.com/NpL3Hhc
khaos288
AG
got some PMs already. Email me if you don't have the ability to PM

Brazilball17@hotmail.com
khaos288
AG
Here's the first few!

A
Driver - 260
3 wood - 220
5 wood - 195
4 iron - 170
5 iron - 165
6 iron - 155
7 iron - 145
8 iron -135
9 iron -125
PW - 110
AW - 50 degree - 90 and in, also around the green
Lob wedge only when I need to hit a flop less than 25 yards

B
Driver: tee/270
3W: 235
3i: 210
4i: 200
5i: 190
6i: 180
7i: 170
8i: 160
9i: 150
PW: 140
50*: 125
54*: 100
58*: 75

C
Driver: 290+
3 wood: 255
4 hybrid: 225
4 iron: 210
5 iron: 200
6 iron: 185
7 iron: 175
8 iron: 165
9 iron: 155
PW: 145
GW: 135
54: 125
58: 110
stick93
AG
^^^
aggiebrother33
A13
B9
C11
khaos288
AG
Couple more overnight. I'll stop at 10 or so for the prize.

D
Driver-290+
3 wood-265+
4 iron-220
5 iron-200
6 iron-185
7 iron-175
8 iron-165
9 iron-155
PW-140
52-125

E
Driver - 285
3 wood - 255
5 wood - 235
4 iron - 208
5 iron - 195
6 iron - 180
7 iron - 167
8 iron -152
9 iron -140
PW - 130
AW - 120
56 - 102
60 - 88
DadAG10
A. 11
B. 2
C. 5
D. 6
E. 1

(Ages would make a difference. Old guys maybe aren't as long, but can be very consistent.)

Edit to add F & G.

F. 13
G. 7

07fta07
AG
I'm just surprised D is only playing with 11 clubs
khaos288
AG
quote:
A. 11
B. 2
C. 5
D. 6
E. 1

(Ages would make a difference. Old guys maybe aren't as long, but can be very consistent.)

Yeah, that'll be the twist. To see how many 240 yard drivers are surgeons on the fairway
khaos288
AG
F
D - 260
3w - 225
4h - 200
5i - 185
6i - 175
7i - 160
8i - 150
9i - 135
PW - 120
GW - 105
SW - 90

G
Driver- 300
3W-280
5W-245
4I-220
5I-210
6I-200
7I-185
8I-165
9I-155
PW-140
GW-125
SW-115
LW-100
Thisguy1
A) 16
B) 8
C) 6
E) 3
Thisguy1
terradactylexpress
Lol@the driver distances on this thread
07fta07
AG
quote:

Mine's legit
LeFraud
quote:

Are you implying texagers can't knock it out there 290+?
Just an Ag
AG
ahhh, the old "how far can you hit a driver" question. There is a hole I play that is very slightly downhill, and in August with a south breeze and baked out fairways, I can regularly roll it out there 300-325. Conditions can affect the length tremendously.

A swing speed of 100 to 110 will fly the ball about 240- 260 yards with a clean strike and minimal side spin, plus about 5% - 10% roll. My guess is that in "neutral" conditions, the longest hitters you'll come across in normal club play do not exceed the top end of that range (280-290-ish) and those would be rare.

When I was fitted for my driver I was measured to have an average swing speed in the low 100's. On the course, a normal "good" drive for me is 260-something.
Thisguy1
It's definitely tough to decide distances in your driver. My brother and I just got out a yardage book from the Campus Course, which we play regularly, and saw what different objects we reach, don't reach, etc.

Conditions and hole layout are everything.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
Mine's legit also, but I'm an old.
jj9000
AG
quote:
A swing speed of 100 to 110 will fly the ball about 240- 260 yards with a clean strike and minimal side spin, plus about 5% - 10% roll. My guess is that in "neutral" conditions, the longest hitters you'll come across in normal club play do not exceed the top end of that range (280-290-ish) and those would be rare.
There more in the 280-290 range than you suggest.

Plugging the numbers in below at 105Mph Swing Speed will get high 280s...and 280 isn't rare.

110 MPH
1.45 Smash Factor
14* V-Launch
0* H-Launch
430' Altitude (DFW)
2500 Spin
0* spin axis

277 Yards Carry
300 Yards Total

You can get more distance if you monkey around with spin..but...this is a cool tool:

http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/
KC_Ag14
AG
Honestly, any of these could be scratch and any of these could be 20s. Putting too big of a determinant in that (groundbreaking insight, I know). Curious to see if there's a correlation with this though!
khaos288
AG
quote:
Honestly, any of these could be scratch and any of these could be 20s. Putting too big of a determinant in that (groundbreaking insight, I know). Curious to see if there's a correlation with this though!
Lay out your guesses then!
Just an Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't doubt it is possible that there are some young limberbacks in here that can do it, and more power to you if you are one of them! I'm over 50 so maybe my perspective is a little skewed. My observations of the general population of middle-aged club golfers, even the good ones, is that those people are a low percentage of the players. And, just because you hit an occasional drive "optimal" does not mean that is your typical drive on which to base your expectations.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't doubt it is possible that there are some young limberbacks in here that can do it, and more power to you if you are one of them! I'm over 50 so maybe my perspective is a little skewed. My observations of the general population of middle-aged club golfers, even the good ones, is that those people are a low percentage of the players. And, just because you hit an occasional drive "optimal" does not mean that is your typical drive on which to base your expectations.
Yeah, I've hit drives 280 before, but that is not the norm. There are 23 PGA players that average drives over 300 yards. Jason Dufner (and many others) average below 290.

Although, I suppose most people are going toward their max, not average. Better someone is the closer the average is to the max.
watty
AG
quote:
My guess is that in "neutral" conditions, the longest hitters you'll come across in normal club play do not exceed the top end of that range (280-290-ish) and those would be rare.

They would be very rare indeed. Amateurs that routinely drive it that far are a very small group. And while I'm not calling out anyone here, it is a statistical truth that the vast majority of golfers overestimate their distances.
jj9000
AG
quote:
quote:
My guess is that in "neutral" conditions, the longest hitters you'll come across in normal club play do not exceed the top end of that range (280-290-ish) and those would be rare.

They would be very rare indeed. Amateurs that routinely drive it that far are a very small group. And while I'm not calling out anyone here, it is a statistical truth that the vast majority of golfers overestimate their distances.
My point is the bolded portion above, in normal club play, isn't all that rare.

The longest hitters in normal club play exceed 280ish.

Are they that rare? No, every club has them.

Are they the general golfing public, no...they are the longest hitters in normal club play.

Thread hijacked...sorry khaos...back on topic.

HouAggie
AG
What jj9000 said. Every club has multiple guys who knock it out there 280+ on a regular basis. It's hardly rare. I can think of at least 5 at my club, probably more...but they're definitely not all good golfers.
Thisguy1
I played with a college golfer the other day who I out drove more times than not.

He still beat me by 5 strokes and it would have been more had my putter not been the best club in my bag that day.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Can I hit the ball over 300? Yes. Do I frequently hit it above 280? Yes. My average? Prob close to 280. It only takes 1-2 mis hits per round to drop an average significantly. So when people are asked "how far do you hit your XXX?" They inevitably state their absolute max, if they pure it. I respect the game enough and don't have an ego to inflate that number.

My last round I hit my driver terrible...avg prob closer to 260 that day.
Thisguy1
If the majority of my 4-irons one day are hit into the wind and I don't exactly square some up that aren't, my average will be lower as well.

You expect to always square every shot up. I'm not going to hit a 5-iron on a hole that I should be hitting a 6 or 7 because I might not square it up.

The idea of this whole thing is "What do you hit your clubs?" Or using that example, what do you expect to hit each club. A slight mis-hit with a driver might cause a 20 yd loss where a similar mis-hit iron may be a 5-10. There's a lot of room for that yardage to fluctuate.

I've hit my driver anywhere from 240 to distances I didn't really believe. A lot of factors go into it. The yardages I gave are what I expect and plan to hit each club with zero wind, squaring the ball up.
t - cam
AG
quote:
Can I hit the ball over 300? Yes. Do I frequently hit it above 280? Yes. My average? Prob close to 280. It only takes 1-2 mis hits per round to drop an average significantly. So when people are asked "how far do you hit your XXX?" They inevitably state their absolute max, if they pure it. I respect the game enough and don't have an ego to inflate that number.

My last round I hit my driver terrible...avg prob closer to 260 that day.

Several of my friends are 300+ average guys with max range in the 330 area. So I'm not surprised by the numbers here.
07fta07
AG
Maybe we should ask for fairways hit stats with driver distances?
t - cam
AG
quote:
Maybe we should ask for fairways hit stats with driver distances?

No doubt. I bomb the ball but only hit about half the possible fairways in a given round.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I believe the tour stats for driving distance are only measured on two holes per round also...and the shot must be in the fairway. I tend to average my yardages off the tee whether in the fairway or not, so the ones that do make it in the fairway are probably better struck, so maybe my average is more like 290+. I just try not to artificially inflate numbers or decrease "what I usually shoot".

Asking what someone usually shoots is always fun. Even funner when you ask what peoples handicap is and due to lack of knowledge about how it is actually measured and what it means, most people are way off. A 0 hdcp doesn't shoot even par every round, but that is a common misconception. The term scratch golfer doesn't mean you shoot even par every round either.
watty
AG
People who actually drive it over 250 are actually pretty rare, and people who legitimately drive it over 275 are really rare, and people who drive it over 300 are incredibly rare.

Every single source you read that has studied it has shown that the vast majority of golfers overestimate their distances and that the average scratch golfer is usually in the 250-275 range.

For example, on one day at Torrey Pines, they tracked 87 male golfers that came through. Their average handicap was 12, which is actually lower than you would find at most courses. 33 of the golfers were single digit handicaps, and those golfers averaged just 232 yards on 66 measured drives. And those were the best golfers. On one of the holes, the longest amateur all day (out of 87) drove it 280. The other hole saw a long drive of 290. So out of 174 measured drives in a given day, not a single one went over 290.

http://www.popeofslope.com/downloads/therealdifference.pdf
jj9000
AG
quote:
People who actually drive it over 250 are actually pretty rare, and people who legitimately drive it over 275 are really rare, and people who drive it over 300 are incredibly rare.

Every single source you read that has studied it has shown that the vast majority of golfers overestimate their distances and that the average scratch golfer is usually in the 250-275 range.

For example, on one day at Torrey Pines, they tracked 87 male golfers that came through. Their average handicap was 12, which is actually lower than you would find at most courses. 33 of the golfers were single digit handicaps, and those golfers averaged just 232 yards on 66 measured drives. And those were the best golfers. On one of the holes, the longest amateur all day (out of 87) drove it 280. The other hole saw a long drive of 290. So out of 174 measured drives in a given day, not a single one went over 290.

http://www.popeofslope.com/downloads/therealdifference.pdf
Watty...re-read the quote what I bolded above...then read it again.

If the baseline for your comments measure against the average golfer, sure, you have a valid point.

However, the longest hitters in each club push it out there well past 280 yards. Again, not Average Joe Weekender...the longest hitters in each club. I'm using a very different baseline.

Also, the comment above relative to scratch golfers being in the 250-275 range is irrelevant.

A scratch golfer, playing from the Senior tees because he/she can only push it out there 225 yards off the box, is still a scratch golfer.

Again, not in the baseline of being the longest hitters in club play.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.