Trying to decide between 4 DFW courses for a buddies outing

2,219 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by t - cam
Van Buren Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3 friends are coming from SA to play a round next Saturday. I've narrowed down our options to Sky Creek Ranch, Texas Star, Waterchase and Coyote Ridge. I've played Sky Creek and Texas Star but not Waterchase nor CR. My main concern is course condition. Has anyone play these courses recently? I'd hate to play on recently punched greens.

With regards to Waterchase. One of my friends is pretty bad. Is the awesomeness of the course outweighed by its difficulty? I don't want him to have a crappy time because the course is outside of his skill level.
bblake06
AG
Sky Creek Ranch, Waterchase, and Texas Star are all great choices. I've never played Coyote Ridge so I can't speak to it, but I generally find that Tarrant County has better public courses with better golf geography.

Difficulty wise, I don't think he's going to have it any tougher at Waterchase than Texas Star or Sky Creek Ranch. I haven't played Texas Star since they redid it, but I think it may be the toughest of the three. A beginner is a beginner and unless he's playing a flat course with 350-400 yard straight par 4s, his experience will be about the same.

I was out at Waterchase last month and it was in great shape. It's one of my favorite's in DFW. It's been a few years since I've played Sky Creek Ranch and I have not been out to Texas Star since it re-opened. One more to add to your list is Tierra Verde in Arlington.
Old School Brother
waterchase
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd go with Waterchase. I like both Texas Star and Sky Creek Ranch, and they are pretty similar. Sky Creek Ranch is probably easier for a hacker. I don't think the degree of difficulty between any of those 3 is enough to drive a decision IMO.

Don't care for Coyote Ridge. On a windy day, you can get your ass blown off the links 9, and I think the quarry 9 is too rinky-dink.
grego
AG
I agree with the top 3 everyone has listed.

I would call the pro shops and ask about the punch schedule.
t - cam
AG
I prefer sky Creek over the other two. All good choices though.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Thanks y'all. Gonna shoot for waterchase.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Coyote Ridge can really mess with your game as Danny said. Some real ***** holes and a, as he stated, tricked up holes.

However, if it's a buddies trip, then it's definitely not a bad option. There are, ahem, other reasons that it's such a popular course.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Tribute.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Prostitute hot cart girls. Don't make Asian jokes, Sam moon owns the joint.

Front 9 can be difficult if you aren't driving the ball well. Back 9 is Mickey Mouse bulsh. You hit hybrid or 3 wood off like 4/5 of the holes. On 18, you hit like a 5iron off the tee. Dumb.
Van Buren Boy
AG
quote:
Prostitute hot cart girls. Don't make Asian jokes, Sam moon owns the joint.

Front 9 can be difficult if you aren't driving the ball well. Back 9 is Mickey Mouse bulsh. You hit hybrid or 3 wood off like 4/5 of the holes. On 18, you hit like a 5iron off the tee. Dumb.

Bad idea. One of my friends went to Baylor. He doesn't pay for his sex.
752bro4
AG
Can't tell if that's a religious joke or a Baylor rape joke.
agsalaska
AG
Waterchase is the best course out of those 3.
Matsui
AG
Call pro shop and ask about green conditions
t - cam
AG
Coyote is easily the worst if the three.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Lucky me, it's been raining in DFW all week. Anyone know how well Waterchase drains?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
coyote ridge cart girls 1+
course, sucks
752bro4
AG
quote:
course, sucks

Played last weekend, greens still bumpy, but otherwise was in good condition. The problem was slow play and several coed 5-somes. No marshal anywhere out there. It was cart path only too.

Cart girls were limited to just 1, but she was quite talented.
t - cam
AG
quote:
course, sucks

With recent flooding it's also likely that the back nine isn't open. Which is the only reason to play that course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.