Any of you young(ish) guys play graphite irons?

2,476 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieC07
suprafly03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So one of my buddy's got fit for a new set of irons, and they suggested Graphite shafts. Of course we all have him a good ribbing, calling him "Graphite Granny" and quips of the sort...

He's fairly young at 35, and a good player (4 handicap).

After considering it though I had two thoughts.

1) Graphite costs more, so maybe they were just in it to make more money...
2) maybe this is where things are headed

More tour players are using graphite than ever, and with some victories this year. So I plan on getting fitted next year for a new set of irons. Should I be open to graphite too?
jj9000
AG
#2 above is correct, IMO.

If you don't hit both SteelFiber and Recoil in your fitting, you are selling yourself short.

Kuch and Snedeker are in SteelFiber i95 Stiff shafts, which are in the mid-stiff range of SteelFibers. BTW...i95 Stiff have an almost identical EI profile as a DG S300.

Would love to see the guys laughing at your other buddy hit some SteelFiber 125X iron shafts...then watch your other buddy laugh at them when they figure out they can't properly load a graphite iron shaft.

Yes, they are that stiff.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
I've stayed in steel shafts...but flirted with graphite. Found them to be less "predictable & consistent " This was about 5 years ago and haven't tried recently. But I am amazed with some playing partners length and towering height of their irons.
Sazerac
AG
I've played graphite for 15 years. Why would you hit graphite in your woods but not irons?
wad86
I have a graphite shafted putter lol
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
quote:
I've played graphite for 15 years. Why would you hit graphite in your woods but not irons?
kick point, torque, consistent action...those have been the drawbacks...if you hit one wedge 150yds and the next 110yds you know what I mean
suprafly03
AG
quote:
quote:
kick point, torque, consistent action...those have been the drawbacks...if you hit one wedge 150yds and the next 110yds you know what I mean

Yeah, apparently technology associated with graphite has greatly improved in the last 2-3 years. Steel was always preferred unless you were a female or senior. Apparently that is changing...

So are you an old? Or a girl?
mongey donk
AG
Yes with my highlighter yellow balls
dahouse
AG
I play graphite shafts because they are easier on my back. Just got rid of a set of irons that had R flex steel and now have stiff flex graphite.

Gained a few yards per club, so there's that.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
powerbelly
AG
I currently play DG S300 in my irons, but next time I upgrade I will give a serious look at SteelFiber i95 Stiff.
AggieC07
AG
I have KBS C-Tapers and due to the finish ("brushed satin") people this they are graphite shafts
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.