Best/worst parts of your game

2,344 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FirefightAg
dcrewint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the best part of your game right now? What's the worst part of your game right now?

Traditionally The driver has been the most reliable and irons the worst. However today the driver had a few misses right which has been rare. Today the short game was $(especially the putter with 6 one-putts and 0 three-putts). And like always my iron play was terrible.
watty
AG
I generally shoot mid 80s on my local par 70, but I often don't know how, because I feel like every single part of my game is a disaster. Putting is probably my best part. I rarely 3 putt and usually make a few per round that other guys would miss.

Driver is probably worst right now. Great on the range, awful on the course. Story of my life.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Driver is my strongest. Irons are solid too. Chipping and lag putting are my weak spots. Handicap is at 4.7 right now, and most of of the gap to scratch is due to those weak spots. I've never had a good feel for speed on/around the greens. My long game carries me, while I let too many longer putts or short chips turn into bogeys.

That said, I have found bringing a "try to make everything" mindset has helped me some. It's an area where more practice time would help, but with 2 active kids, I just don't have it to give.
07fta07
AG
Driver and wedges are my best. Putting is the worst, and I practice that a lot. Long irons used to be a struggle but some new swing changes have helped clean that up.
HouAggie
AG
My driver is both. When I'm playing well, my driver is the best club in my bag. When I'm playing poorly, it's the worst club in my bag. Everything else is sort of middle of the road.
Mr.Bond
AG
Driver is my strongest. Irons are solid too. Chipping and lag putting are my weak spots.

This along with approach Wedges. My accuracy and feel with them has been off for months
agfan2013
AG
While I'm not good enough to say anything is "good" for me, my irons are usually my strong point while anything 100 yards or closer (wedges, chipping on to the green, etc) is where I struggle the most with my game.

Driver is consistently inconsistent, and thats all Im gonna say about that....
LeFraud
My best rounds are when I drive the ball well.
K Bo
AG
Up until yesterday I would have said my game inside 30yds was the strongest but I couldn't chip or putt to save my life yesterday. My driver is pretty consistent but if it's off I feel like I can find different ways to safely get off the tee and score well. When the short game is off, it's tough. My iron game is getting stronger but not, yet, where id like it to be.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I consistently shoot in the low 80s. Really good with the driver, above average at chipping and putting. Yesterday was my classic round. Shoot a 40 on the front with a birdie on par 5 9th. Chip to gimmie range on 10 for a par. Birdie par 5 11th. Then promptly brutalize a 4 iron on the following par 3 for a nice double bogey ABF. Then punish myself further on the next par four FROM THE FAIRWAY by chopping an 8 iron into a crap lie ending in another double. Ended with an 82 that easily should have been a 79.

My approach shots with irons and long irons off par threes are the worst part of my game by far. If I'm gonna have a bad score, it is the direct result of those specific shots.
Poot
Kind of like HouAggie, driver can be the best or the worst. It's definitely the most volatile club in the bag. For that reason, I have a huge range of possible scores.

Day in/day out, my best area is with the wedges-8 iron.
AustinCountyAg
the last 3/4 months my driver has been great for me. Nice baby draws off the tee box, however my past 3 rounds or so I've lost the feel. Either I hit a push, or it is a pull. Luckily my last few rounds the driver has been crap, but my approach shots have been a lot better than normal. It has saved my game.

I've also been hitting my 3 wood better than ever.

Thats golf I suppose? Everything goes in cycles
dodger02
AG
Best: Iron play

Worst: Driver

Most improved: Putting

I just played Apple and Slick Rock over the weekend. I struggled mightily all weekend off the tee until the back nine at Slick Rock on Saturday. I put myself in terrible situations and picked up way, way too many penalty strokes off the tee during both rounds. If not for some big, big scores as a result, I would have shot around 80 both days having played fewer than a half-dozen rounds this calendar year.

Since I moved to a counterbalanced Odyssey Works #7, my putting inside of 10' has improved immensely in the last month or so. for years, I've had awful yips from around 4' - but not anymore.

However, the two truly biggest issues for me are consistency (or lack thereof) and decision making. I'll hit a giant pull hook off the tee OB. Re-tee and then stripe a booming draw down the middle of the fairway. Or, I'll make an easy birdie on a difficult par 4...then pick up a snowman on the very next hole - the easiest par 4 on the course. Later, I'll get cute and try to go for a pin I shouldn't or make a wrong club choice (usually not enough club) and leave myself in a bad spot scrambling for par or bogey. I usually have 4-5 bad holes in which I rack up 8-10 unnecessary strokes due to wildly inconsistent swings or really bad decisions.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
In order of best to worst:

Putting
Wedges
Irons
Driver
khaos288
AG
Best: Putter. I rarely 3 putt.

Most improved: Driver

Needs the most work: Consistent iron shots.

I rarely hit GIRs but, once I'm on, I can get it in the hole. If I could be better from 170-70 yards, then I could really get some strokes back.
mike_ags_fan12
From best to worst

Irons
Putting
Driver
Wedges
jonj101
Im currently a 16.4 handicap. I keep my stats using the Nike Golf app. So far this year they are:

Driving Accuracy: 29%
GIR: 13%
Putts per round: 31
Average score: 97

Not playing good this year, and its easy to see from the numbers whats killing my score. Simply not striking the ball.
LHIOB
AG
Yesterday I hit 13/14 fairways and hit every green from 150 out. Missed 6 greens from 150 in. Really depressing 80 with 8 bogies and no birdies.

Every day is a new adventure to find out whats working and whats not...
shaynew1
AG
I'm a godawful putter.
agsalaska
AG
I was asked this question by my GolfTec instructor on day 1 last year.

I am a two but lived most of my life around scratch. so looking at myself in the +1 to -3 category. Il go in order.

I would consider my woods above average for my handicap range. I have always been able to pound a driver and keep it straight. Of course I have my moments like anyone else especially when I am coming off a layoff, but the woods are always the first to come back. I am 39 now and cannot keep up with the real long hitters anymore, but I can easily average 280 with my driver and go several rounds without losing a ball off the tee. I shot 71 last week for my first sub par round of the year and hit all four par 5s in two going D-3w 3 times and D-D once. I can hit and control a 3 wood from about 220 to 250+ and dial my 5 wood down to 205 or so. I can work any of them either direction. And if I really need a long drive I can confidently reach back and get it.

I would consider my 0-50 yards game consistent or maybe slightly above average for my handicap range. It like putting certainly improves with practice but I am pretty confident with a wedge, 54, or 60 in my hand. I can get up and down. If I have any weakness it is the bump and run shot. I just do not do it very often and never chip with anything lower in loft than a wedge. I do like to land the ball on the green and would rather play chips in the air when a lot of guys would get the ball down faster. But I can get it by the hole.

Putting is average to slightly below average for my handicap. I tend to be streaky. I probably make less putts than most guys my range but also 3 putt less too. I am a very good speed putter but miss a lot of reads and have a slight push that costs me shots just about every round. I will make most putts inside 6 feet(ignore the F golf thread). When I am putting well I will almost never 3 putt and I will drop some. I went thru the worst putting streak of my life from Dec-April this year but seem to have come out of it. I do not read grain well.

Irons are below average. I probably hit my irons about like a 5-8 handicapper. This was not the case when I was younger but has been true now for more than a decade. I tend to hit them shorter than most. I can out drive someone consistently by 20-30 yards but still be a full club shorter with my irons. It has been my focus since going to golf tec. It is mostly attributed to an open club face at impact and bad shaft lean. This has improved greatly in the last two months and I have picked up a full club distance wise. I am starting to hit them much more consistently and it is the biggest factor in good rounds bad rounds.
dbtexasag05
This. This. This.

I have a friend I play with that will either press after I hit my first tee shot or will tell me that all bets are off.

I have been a great striker of the golf ball since high school. But if I can't hit a driver before a round, you better hope your car is not parked close to the golf course.
DannyDuberstein
AG
i don't bother even comparing iron distances anymore because there is so much variety in lofts and shafts. To me, it's purely about how close can you get the damn thing to the hole from certain distances.
investorAg83
AG
Literally depends on the day. Normally one of the four is off (driving, irons, wedge, putt). When all 4 are clicking though, usually one or 2 rounds a year, I shoot around 80. Most days I'm 88-92.

It seems to always be something different. Played a day where I hit every fairway and another where I miss every one. Irons pure one day...yanked the next. And putting is probably the most unpredictable.
1208HawkTree
AG
While I wouldn't call any part of my game the "best," I'd say my putting is the most consistent. It has saved me from shooting terrible scores, allowed me to shoot good scores with marginal ball striking, but has never turned a "great" round into a terrible one. Maybe a great one into a "good" or "okay" one if I'm not making anything, but I'm usually around the hole and don't have a lot of 3-jacks.

The worst part of my game is easily chipping and pitching the ball. This is simply because I don't get to practice. Ever.

Everything else tee to green depends on the day.
G Martin 87
AG
I'm a really high handicap, so it would seem silly to say that any part of my game is a strength. But I have a smooth swing that feels good, and I'm pretty confident with a putter from any distance. My distances are average for my age, too. Where I really need to improve is setting up properly for my approach shots so that I hit the green. I'm constantly having to chip from the left or right side of the green 30-40 yards away from the pin. If I could just aim better, I could easily drop 10-15 strokes off a round.
FirefightAg
AG
Best irons right now

Worst putting always has been
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.