New Cart

1,416 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 14TheRoad
Gigemchicken90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have to get a new one. We are in central Texas about an hour from Waco, College Station, Austin. Any suggestions are appreciated. Would you get gas or electric?
Mr.Bond
AG
Electric. Much quieter, I understand batteries are expensive but having a gas cart can bring expensive issues as well. Plus who wants to change oil on a golf cart?
Cen-Tex
AG
If you know a course supt., sometimes you can save $$ by buying thru him/her. Re electric or gas: If you trailer or live on the course, then I'd go electric. If you drive longer distances where recharging is a issue, then gas should be considered. You can generally get 36 holes played in an electric cart. If you have minimal mechanical skills then changing oil, plugs, air filter and greasing a gas cart is not a problem. Even electric carts require routine maintenance. Also elect. cart batteries need replacing after about 4-5 years, at a cost of $100 to over $200 each. Most elect. carts have 4-6 batteries depending on the voltage. I usually do prev. maint. on my gas cart 1/year. Good luck.

booradley
AG
check with your club. my club only allows electric, and it must be an ezgo, and it must be the same color as the club's carts...

if you buy new, I'd buy the base model from a dealer. pricing is usually fixed as they cant discount.

past that, I'd buy everything else on the internet. seats, sand bottles, windshields, tires, rims, roof... everything...
all the pee wee herman accessories can be found on the internet.

and you'll get the best price with no freight or tax.

the accessories is where the dealer makes his money.

just my 2 cents. happy to discuss on the phone if you want.

I've bought 3 over the last 16 years and already made all the mistakes...
Hobbes01
AG
Based on your location, I would highly recommend checking out Ennis Golf Carts in Liberty Hill. We purchased from them (used electric Club Car), they offer both gas and electric, new and used, basic to all the extras. When I was pricing some additional parts (rear seat, extended roof, light kit, etc), their prices beat most anything I could find online too. Pretty sure one of the owners (brothers) is an Aggie and the customer service was fantastic. They get busy on the weekends, so if you have lots of questions I would recommend that you go during the week if possible.

Hope this helps and good luck on your search!
Gigemchicken90
AG
Our club doesn't have any restrictions. The cart we currently have is a four seat, lifted battery but he barely gets 15 holes played and it dies. We have replaced the batteries and it hasn't helped. He is taking it to a different service place today to have it looked at. That will be cheaper than a new one. The cart is my son's and he is convinced he has to have a gas cart. We live next to the course and he spends all day there all summer but when he takes a break to swim etc he can charge it. My preference is electric but it's not mine. I just hate how loud the gas carts are when I use it as a spectator cart.
AgLA06
AG
It could be anything including the hills draining the battery.
14TheRoad
AG
I would recommend a gas Yamaha. Especially if it's for neighborhood and golf use. I have a 2012 gas Yamaha and a 2003 gas Yamaha that we use for golf and cruising the neighborhood. I like them way more than electric because they are very reliable and always ready to go as long as they have gas. They use 1 qt of synthetic oil and don't have an oil filter. Oil only has to get changed once a year, twice if you use it every single day. Pop the drain plug, reinsert the drain and add 1 qt, it couldn't be easier. Plus I don't have to spend $800 replacing batteries every 4-5 years.

With gas I don't have to worry about batteries not being charged if I want to squeeze in 9 after work. With electric it would be inevitable that my wife and kids would use them all day running back and forth to the pool or to a friends house and then forget to charge them up leaving me without a charge when I wanted to use them.

I bought the 2012 new and the 2003 a couple years ago, I've probably spent less than $200 total in maintenance since owning them (including a battery)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.