Golf Lessons in Houston

2,952 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Unemployed
justsomeguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm new to golf and while my friends have been helping me with my swing, I feel like I could benefit even more from a few golf lessons from a professional. If anyone has any recommendations on someone or somewhere near Houston, please let me know.
07fta07
AG
The Houston area is big. Where are you located?
justsomeguy
AG
Oak Forest area at 610 North & Ella
Ag_07
AG
Honestly, if you're just starting out I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a fancy pro that does video analysis amd all that jazz.

I've heard from friends that the lady at the range on Acorn gives pretty good lessons. She's an LPGA instructor and pretty close.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed, no video analysis needed if you're that new to the game. Lots of fundamentals to be taught and learned before over saturating your mind with "positions" and what not.

Also, will greatly depend on your swing as is. Video is great but in moderation when starting like that. Sometimes you'll mess with your mind.
justsomeguy
AG
Yeah I definitely am not interested in a video analysis. I want to get lessons on my golf swing in general and the fundamentals. I saw Memorial has several instructors as do most other courses, but am unsure who is good and who is not...
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I would give the LPGA instructor at 5050 Acorn (Janet) a shot. Or at least contact her to find out what her pricing looks like.
http://www.5050acorngolf.com/services.html
If the LPGA instructor isn't your speed then you might ask 5050 if there is anyone else they would recommend.

Also 5050 adds the benefits of being right in your backyard, typically not crowded, and you're practicing on grass. Memorial's practice range can get slammed at times. And hitting off mats is like lowering the rim to 9' on a basketball goal. A grass driving range already takes bad lies and rough cuts out of the equation, mats just go one step further.

or you can research some of these:

http://www.pga.com/solr-search/result?text=houston&type=geo&distancekm=24&address=77008&offset=0&limit=10&sort=score-desc&spotlight=true&context=instructors&facets=

50 BEST IN TEXAS 2015-2016 (per golf digest)

8) Mike McGetrick (38) / Mike McGetrick G. Academy, Humble
10) Kevin Kirk / The Woodlands C.C.
12) Corey Lundberg / The C. At Carlton Woods, The Woodlands
13) Paul Marchand / Shadow Hawk G.C., Richmond
14) Jim Murphy / Sugar Creek C.C., Sugar Land
15) Betsy Cullen / Pine Forest C.C., Houston
16) Charlie Epps / Champions G.C., Houston
23) Mark Steinbauer / The C. At Carlton Woods, The Woodlands
24) Carol Mann / The Woodlands C.C.
25) Marty Fleckman / Marty Fleckman G., Cypress
26) Jim Phenicie / Royal Oaks C.C., Houston
antman8504
AG
When I first started, I used Matt Schewe. He helped me alot. He is down at Pearland Golf Club (used to be Country Place) now. I always recommend him for beginners and juniors.
AggieT
AG
Matt is a great guy and instructor. I wish he was still at Wildcat. I'd look him up if you are near Pearland.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'll give another vote for Matt. Very nice guy and teaches a very straight-forward approach to hitting the golf ball.
rayadosAg06
I recommend Chuck Silva at Memorial Park.

At Cypresswood you can join the men's golf association for 40$ and then each 30 min lesson with the Pro is 10$. It's a drive but a great deal.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
I would give the LPGA instructor at 5050 Acorn (Janet) a shot. Or at least contact her to find out what her pricing looks like.
http://www.5050acorngolf.com/services.html
If the LPGA instructor isn't your speed then you might ask 5050 if there is anyone else they would recommend.

Also 5050 adds the benefits of being right in your backyard, typically not crowded, and you're practicing on grass. Memorial's practice range can get slammed at times. And hitting off mats is like lowering the rim to 9' on a basketball goal. A grass driving range already takes bad lies and rough cuts out of the equation, mats just go one step further.

or you can research some of these:

http://www.pga.com/solr-search/result?text=houston&type=geo&distancekm=24&address=77008&offset=0&limit=10&sort=score-desc&spotlight=true&context=instructors&facets=

50 BEST IN TEXAS 2015-2016 (per golf digest)

8) Mike McGetrick (38) / Mike McGetrick G. Academy, Humble
10) Kevin Kirk / The Woodlands C.C.
12) Corey Lundberg / The C. At Carlton Woods, The Woodlands
13) Paul Marchand / Shadow Hawk G.C., Richmond
14) Jim Murphy / Sugar Creek C.C., Sugar Land
15) Betsy Cullen / Pine Forest C.C., Houston
16) Charlie Epps / Champions G.C., Houston
23) Mark Steinbauer / The C. At Carlton Woods, The Woodlands
24) Carol Mann / The Woodlands C.C.
25) Marty Fleckman / Marty Fleckman G., Cypress
26) Jim Phenicie / Royal Oaks C.C., Houston

Phenicie is back at Windrose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.