Dunvegan - Jack Willoughby

3,149 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Swollen Thumb
ebdb_bnb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/scottish-golf-travel/id769012915?mt=2&i=367770496

Most famous 19th hole in golf owned by an Ag.

http://www.dunvegan-hotel.com/more.html
Post removed:
by user
watty
AG
My parents just went to Scotland and while they didn't play golf, they stopped in at my suggestion and, small world that it is, found out that they had connections with the guy that owns the place. He was very welcoming and is a great representative of A&M and the state of Texas.
BreNayPop
AG
He is a great host. Loved dropping by and meeting himand his wife last year.

He posts here. I think his username is boxcar
PJYoung
AG
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/16/sports/golf/the-place-to-be-at-the-british-open-golf.html?_r=0

quote:
"You've got guys who like for 10 days, they are away from home, the stresses of family life and business life, and they are over here with their buddies playing golf and they are just so easy to look after because they are so happy,"she said.

"You see a lot of fathers and sons who come through, and then you see the sons coming back, the father has passed away and they want to spread some ashes on the golf courses they played together, because that meant so much to them. You see sons coming over who never got to make the trip with their father, and they go and play all the courses they had mapped out. They might have the ashes in their golf bag in a little box, taking their father around these courses. And then they sit in the bar and have a whisky and toast their dad."

One of Jack's favorite memories came early. Ernie Els and the South African team were playing in the Dunhill Cup and got eliminated.

"It was our first or second year here," Jack said. "The South Africans missed the cut, and they were all in here drinking like crazy, lager beer. I had a 6-iron behind the bar, and Ernie is starting to give lessons to the people behind the bar. And finally Ernie said, 'We are going to play the first hole.'"
Jack went with him. He said: "We literally played the first hole in the dark at 1:30 in the morning with a 6-iron, and I see this flashlight and the police come up, and I'm saying, 'I'm going to get run out of town."'
Twenty years later, Els is a two-time British Open champion (though not yet at St. Andrews), and Jack is still in town.

But Els apparently has not forgotten.

"I was at Augusta for the Masters for a practice round two years ago," Jack said. "And I'm sitting on the 16th on the Tuesday on the par-3 in the front row with my Dunvegan stuff on, and here comes Ernie Els, very relaxed. And he says to me, 'Hey, you played any midnight golf lately?'"
AustinCountyAg
quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/16/sports/golf/the-place-to-be-at-the-british-open-golf.html?_r=0

quote:
"You've got guys who like for 10 days, they are away from home, the stresses of family life and business life, and they are over here with their buddies playing golf and they are just so easy to look after because they are so happy,"she said.

"You see a lot of fathers and sons who come through, and then you see the sons coming back, the father has passed away and they want to spread some ashes on the golf courses they played together, because that meant so much to them. You see sons coming over who never got to make the trip with their father, and they go and play all the courses they had mapped out. They might have the ashes in their golf bag in a little box, taking their father around these courses. And then they sit in the bar and have a whisky and toast their dad."

One of Jack's favorite memories came early. Ernie Els and the South African team were playing in the Dunhill Cup and got eliminated.

"It was our first or second year here," Jack said. "The South Africans missed the cut, and they were all in here drinking like crazy, lager beer. I had a 6-iron behind the bar, and Ernie is starting to give lessons to the people behind the bar. And finally Ernie said, 'We are going to play the first hole.'"
Jack went with him. He said: "We literally played the first hole in the dark at 1:30 in the morning with a 6-iron, and I see this flashlight and the police come up, and I'm saying, 'I'm going to get run out of town."'
Twenty years later, Els is a two-time British Open champion (though not yet at St. Andrews), and Jack is still in town.

But Els apparently has not forgotten.

"I was at Augusta for the Masters for a practice round two years ago," Jack said. "And I'm sitting on the 16th on the Tuesday on the par-3 in the front row with my Dunvegan stuff on, and here comes Ernie Els, very relaxed. And he says to me, 'Hey, you played any midnight golf lately?'"

that is the story that I mentioned in the Ernie Masters Thread that someone was asking about
Harry Stone
AG
Jack is such a cool, genuinely nice guy. And his wife is just the same. Great, great people and great representative of our school.
Texmid
AG
I was in there two days ago after my round at St. Andrews. Sheena remembered me from last year and spent a while talking to us. Great folks and a truly great place.
Quinn
AG

Guess they are retiring??
Post removed:
by user
suprafly03
AG
Great place!

Hope the new owners keep some of the Aggie gear around.
Old School Brother
what's the guess on what this place will go for? I've only been in the bar, which is obviously great. Friends who have stayed in the hotel say that it's a dump and needs work. Still, with the location and reputation, it has to go for a few million, right?
Bunk Moreland
Listed for 2.9m pounds
Swollen Thumb
AG
One of the BMA's on here need to buy that place and keep it in the family.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.