Help me w duck hook?

2,373 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SmackDaddy
Larry S Ross
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last 3 times out my driver has gone to hell. 5 feet off the ground hook left and on a good one 150 yds.
dbtexasag05
Need a video.

But my first guess would be taking the club too far inside.
HouAggie
AG
Without seeing a video, just try to hit pull cuts. Make sure you start the ball left of the target line.
booradley
AG
many ducks that are low to the ground and hooking quickly to the left (mine included) are regrips.'

the plane and swing path may be fine.

but one thing to check is your grip.

make sure the club is not turning in your hand.

it can happen un consciously.

also move your thumb on top of the grip (weaken your grip)... as a test.

important to remove the grip as the variable so you can move on to work on something else.

trust me. been fighting the hook for 20 years. lots of skeletons in the hooking closet....
Yesterday
AG
Aim right. That'll be $200 please.

Try and pause very briefly at the top of your backswing. This will allow time for your hips to fire before your upper body. This could either solve it or make you quit golf.. Good luck.
Just an Ag
AG
Just a shot in the dark based on no other info, and what I was going through recently ... stand closer to the ball which may promote a more upright swing. I had the low ducks flying and I realized I was too far off the ball with a very flat swing (several other things going wrong, too, in trying to compensate!). I made a commitment to crowd the ball and let my hands hang straight down, bringing my left elbow closer to the body. It was very awkward at first. I immediately started hitting the ball higher with a slice (many horribly sliced). A few small adjustments from there and I was hitting straight or slight fade with no power drain from my prior "good" drives, and overall accuracy is improving.
jj9000
AG
quote:
This could either solve it or make you quit golf.. Good luck.

Gotta admit...this got an audible laugh...mostly because its true.
Larry S Ross
AG
All replies helpful! I have noticed after finishing swing club face is turned in. Re grip has been a problem at times since I started playing golf(in the 60s). Won't quit as I just started up again( after many years)after retiring but man it's frustrating. I'm a natural fader w plenty of big slices mixed in and I have been trying to take club back more inside.
leachfan
Finish your swing. Belt buckle pointed at the flag. That was my most recent fix for the hook. I was swinging around my body without finishing my turn. That was causing me to turn my hands over too early. I know there are many causes, but this was my problem.
Coppell97
AG
Open the club face at address with your grip and swing as hard as you can. If you don't hit it straight, a fade or a slice, see killerags "This could either solve it or make you quit golf.. Good luck" comment.
AggieIce
AG
?w=636

Agree with the poster above on weakening your grip just a bit, and also making sure you aren't "re-gripping" it at the top of your swing
aggiebrother33
Quick fix, grip and ball position. My $.02 hit some short 40-50 yard shots with wedge only gripped in left hand. Will expose what's going on at impact.
TheGreatScott12
AG
Take your club back slower. A quick take away is the easiest way to get a duck hook in my opinion.
agsalaska
AG
I have no idea without seeing your swing. But for me personally the problem is usually my wrists. I role them over too early, causing the ball to start well left before taking a left. I used to try to cure it by trying to hit the ball to right field so to speak, but sometimes that causes other problems. Usually just thinking about it will cure it.
Larry S Ross
AG
Headed to the range today for a bucket or two and see what I can figure out.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Probably swinging left with a closed clubface. Your alignment could also be closed to your target line causing you to swing across your body. Double check alignment and maybe even stand a little open to the target. Good luck.
CapCity12thMan
AG
combination of two things - improper swing path AND improper weight shift. For me, sometimes I get stuck behind and do not transfer my weight and I fight a hook. The ball goes left because I am way behind it and I am almost like a homerun hitter pulling a HR over left center field, or a line drive down third base line.

Weight should be on your front side at impact. To help with this, I practice hitting balls with my feet touching. Full swings. It will force you to keep your balance and turn. Concentrate on your swing path too and things should start to straighten out. Slowly move your feet apart a few inches every 5-10 shots until you reach full stance. Focus on balance.
antman8504
AG
when I start hooking...it is always that my grip is getting too strong.
Larry S Ross
AG
Update: one day to the range isn't the final sololution but I hit a medium bucket today w driver. Hooked the first couple then started working on grip. It became apparent I was re gripping and even lifting the heel of my right palm off the club and twisting club face. Also moved s little close to ball. I hit quite a few really good drives and straighter than in the past. Not all was perfect by far but I have something to work on and that is getting comfortable w grip and holding it thru swing felt weird but forced myself to hang on.
Will continue to work and if course till I get back on the course nothing is for sure.
Thanks all for input.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Keep at it!
cheeky
AG
Usual culprit is hanging back + strong grip player.
AggieIce
AG
It's tough heading back there when you know it will be a struggle, kudos and keep working at it
Tursiops93
AG
Pay for a lesson from a qualified instructor. All of these suggestions are good and may be correct to a degree, but someone needs to see your swing to truly diagnose what you are doing. Could be grip, stance, swing path, over the top or several other things....not to mention it could be a combination of more than one.
gravy97
AG
Typically, if your feet are above your ankles at impact, it will likely result in a low duck hook... so get some video to confirm
ClassOf17
Aim wayyyyyyyyyyyy right
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Aim wayyyyyyyyyyyy right
oldschool87
AG
Make sure your right elbow, assuming your right handed, is not flying. Tuck that sucker into your side on the down swing!!!!!!
AggieC07
AG
I occasionally drop kick and/or get the club stuck behind and have to flip my hands to save the shot. Been fighting a hook for a while.

Recently came across this video from Mike Malaska which I think will help me keep my club out front
Old School Brother
quote:
when I start hooking...it is always that my grip is getting too strong.
this is always the case for me when i start to hit the low hook
Harry Stone
AG
Weight distribution in your feet, perhaps. When I hook it's because at address I have too much weight in my toes.
SmackDaddy
AG
boo is on point, at least for me. Sounds like the OP too.

I have no idea why, but I struggle with the right thumb (and thumbpad) flying off the club and/or regripping.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.