Austin guys - Falconhead or Avery Ranch

2,855 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by att hello
mt3950
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which one of those two for a work outing next sunday? If both arent in great shape or you recommend somewhere else within 20 minutes or so of downtown, we're open to that too.

tia.
mt
FincAggie06
AG
You can't go wrong with either course. Both are at the top of the list for public courses in the Austin area.
CapCity12thMan
AG
My home course is Falconhead, but I will remain objective. I like it because of the practice facility, and that is primarily what I do there - I rarely play there anymore.

Agree you won't go wrong with either. Neither are overly "exciting". You'll get a little more room off the tee with Falconhead. I think Avery's greens are slightly more difficult. I like the views much better at Falconhead. According to hdcp/slope rating...the courses are pretty much equal in difficulty.

That being said, I always feel like I use every club and every shot at Falconhead. Avery gets a little stale for me from a variety standpoint.

But let's get to the potential tie-breaker...the beer chicks at Avery are better.
CapCity12thMan
AG
FYI - according to Falconhead's online calendar, Aerification was done on the 19th. Might call and confirm. Of course the week leading up to that they were pure which always seems to happen, right?
2DollarYo
AG
Big fan of both but I really enjoy Falconhead.

Don't forget Wolfdancer just east of town between Austin and Bastrop.
twiley51
AG
A vote for Avery
voorheesdn
AG
I played both last weekend and as mentioned greens at Falconhead were just punched and were very bumpy but the course was in good shape otherwise.

Avery was also in really good shape, greens rolling true and fairways looking nice. Some bunkers could use some work with all the recent rains but you really can't go wrong at either assuming greens at Falconhead are back to normal.
93MarineHorn
I'd give the nod to Falconhead, but both are very nice. I can't put my finger on it, but Falconhead has a better ambiance, or something like that.
Pignorant
AG
If someone was to live in that part of Austin, where would you guys recommend for a nice family friendly country club to join?
att hello
I play both courses a lot. My vote is for Falconhead.
att hello
quote:
If someone was to live in that part of Austin, where would you guys recommend for a nice family friendly country club to join?

You can join the Hills of Lakeway and have access to their two lessor courses for barely nothing. It's A LOT more for the better courses, and before I paid that, I would join Barton Creek. If you're under 40, you need to inquire about the young executive memberships as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.