Bye Bye SLDR

2,860 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CTGilley
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had a 10.5* SLDR 460 in the starting lineup for ~3 years. The SLDR MOI (forgiveness) is at the lower end for Drivers. Its well known that the SLDR is crazy long off the tee...that is...if you can square up and find the tiny sweet spot. If you toe or heel it with this club, you're going to lose a LOT of distance.

I've been fit for Drivers twice in the last year, both times the fitter said that the SLDR could be marginally improved upon, but its not worth buying a new Driver for a couple of yards. I tried the M1 at a Demo Days in Houston a few weeks back and I got 2 MPH ballspeed increase...so, same story...no real need to change.

The part I left out above, and with each fitter, is that I didn't even want to try PING because they're loud. Personal preference, I guess...but I like to hear a 'thwack' instead of hearing something like those old square Nike SasQuach heads that you could hear from 4 holes over.

After doing a bit of research about Drivers I gave a PING G30 LST with Tour 65 shaft a try. I bought the 9* head as I thought the 'loft up' campaign was only applicable to the SLDR. I got along well directionally with the 9* head, but, every once in a while the ball would fall out of the sky right after apex...kind of like a range ball that's lost its dimples. I turned the loft up to 9.6* (little + sign) and starting hitting drives similar in distance to the SLDR when hit well.

Problem is, increasing the loft closed the face down visibly at address. I've been accustomed to looking at the SLDR opened up by .5*...so, looking at the closed face jacked with the very small space between my ears.

So, I bought a 10.5* G30 LST with Tour 65 shaft...set it to the Neutral position and boom...its like magic...you can hit this damn thing almost anywhere on the face and it just wants to go high and straight.

The G30 LST is on the opposite end of the forgiveness spectrum compared to the SLDR, and it goes just about as deep as the SLDR when hit well...and its much much more forgiving.

Moral to the story...don't be a dumb*** like me and not try everything out there b/c there might be a club you get along with despite your preconceived notions.

TLDR...SLDR kicked out for first time in 3 years...G30 LST is silly easy to hit...despite being loud.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'm in the mkt for a new big dog.
Got drunk and tried something stupid and dented my r11 tp.
Might have to give the pings a look.
AggieC07
AG
I have the G30 LS with the tour 65 shaft as well and I love it. The G30 were not marked down as much as I thought they would be with the release of the G series.

I was also fitted for the M1 and just didn't like the feel, the G30 is a bit more forgiving too (the sound is something I'm still adjusting too)
nickel
I was content with my SLDR. Actually liked it. Got fitted for irons a few months back. We got that settled and has some time left, so the fitter and I messed around with the some driver combinations. I ordered a G30 that day.
boy09
AG
My G30 (9* w/ Tour 65 shaft) from 2nd Swing just arrived yesterday, so of course I had to go a try it it out. I was bombing it high, straight, and long. About 15 yards further than I've been hitting my SLDR.

I got my SLDR pretty soon after they were released, so almost 3 years ago i guess. I've liked it a lot, but I just felt like it was time to change it up. I had also tried out the G25 when I bought my SLDR, it was a very close race between those two, but the distance of the SLDR swayed me. I didn't see your thread last week selling your 9* G30 until it was already gone or else I would have been all over it. After that, I couldn't take it any longer and pulled the trigger on 2nd Swing. I'm pretty pumped about this driver.
98Ag99Grad
AG
In the market for anew one myself but haven't found anything that can beat my R11 yet.
ORAggieFan
quote:
In the market for anew one myself but haven't found anything that can beat my R11 yet.

M1, Great Big Bertha, G30 m, I'd think all would be an upgrade (although maybe not enough to spend the money).
1208HawkTree
AG
Sounds a lot like the Anser. Only reason I switched from that to the SLDR was the low face miss. The SLDR was far and away better low on the face. Both clubs, squared up, in the nuts, the Anser was MAYBE 5 yards or so longer than the SLDR, but PING drivers feel so much better than any other driver. Almost enough to make me keep it. Almost.
98Ag99Grad
AG
All about that shaft though. I have a Fujikura TP 55gram in it that was an upgrade I got for free. I can do whatever I want with that club- fade, draw, straight. Best driver I've ever had.
jj9000
AG
Reviving an old thread here.

So, I'm out on the course with my son today. All is well until we have to wait on the 3rd tee box. I pulled my Driver and noticed a very thin crack at the hosel, on the heel side. If I swing the club, I risk it going into the water.

I have no idea how this happened as I rarely jack with the loft settings. I had just broken the damn thing in...got the swingweight right...and was pushing the ball out there pretty well.

I called PING and they suggested I take the club to an authorized PING dealer and send it back to PING. I took it to GolfSmith and they are sending it to PING.

We'll see what happens next.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
Reviving an old thread here.

So, I'm out on the course with my son today. All is well until we have to wait on the 3rd tee box. I pulled my Driver and noticed a very thin crack at the hosel, on the heel side. If I swing the club, I risk it going into the water.

I have no idea how this happened as I rarely jack with the loft settings. I had just broken the damn thing in...got the swingweight right...and was pushing the ball out there pretty well.

I called PING and they suggested I take the club to an authorized PING dealer and send it back to PING. I took it to GolfSmith and they are sending it to PING.

We'll see what happens next.

Not the same brand but this happened to my buddy's r11
Taylormade sent him a new r15 for free
Mr.Bond
AG
Titleist just sent me a new shaft replacement for my 915.mine broke on 17 at golf club of Houston a few weeks ago
khaos288
AG
Oh no....Im guessing they send an exact replacement for free. Pretty popular customer service
jj9000
AG
We'll see...I was hitting that damn thing so well...If they replace it, I hope its at the exact same specs as my G30 LS Tec.

I've got to give credit to GolfSmith as they gave me a G30 LS Tec off the used rack for me to use while my club is at PING.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
We'll see...I was hitting that damn thing so well...If they replace it, I hope its at the exact same specs as my G30 LS Tec.

I've got to give credit to GolfSmith as they gave me a G30 LS Tec off the used rack for me to use while my club is at PING.

That must be nice. I asked about a rental and they told me they would give me 90 percent back if I bought a used club and returned it
jj9000
AG
As a follow up, I called GolfSmith today to gauge the approximate timeframe to ship the club to PING...have PING inspect the club...make a determination...and ship a club back (if they deem necessary).

So, the girl at GolfSmith calls PING and has a discussion with them about the cracked hosel.

Within 10 minutes she calls me back and says that PING will be shipping me out a brand new club via UPS 2-Day Air.

Exact clubhead...exact loft...exact swingweight...exact shaft...exact serial number....Here by Friday of this week!!

We often hear about bad customer service experiences, but, this is a prime example of PING going above and beyond.

KUDOS TO PING!!
Brick Tamland
Wow. Might have to start shopping PING
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
Wow. Might have to start shopping PING
most manufacturers do the same thing if its a product defect
LeFraud
Really enjoying the G30, jj9000. My playing partner would out drive me with his sldr to my covert 2.0, but now I am flying past his sldr.
Zjones920
Ping has some of the best customer service out there. I preordered the S56's when they were coming out. They day they started shipping orders ( I think it was a Monday or Tuesday) I called them and explained that I was going to be traveling that same weekend to play in a golf tournament. They weren't planning on sending my order for a couple more weeks but went ahead and shipped it that week so that I had them in time for my tournament. The only things in my bag that aren't Ping are my wedges and putter due to their great customer service.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Really enjoying the G30, jj9000. My playing partner would out drive me with his sldr to my covert 2.0, but now I am flying past his sldr.
Good man...I'm glad you like it...and glad you're hitting it well.

It really is the best of of both worlds (distance/forgiveness).

I still have my SLDR...but...haven't hit it since putting the G30 LS in the bag.

boy09
AG
I hit the G30 great for a couple of rounds, but shortly after I started hitting a horrible slice with it. Went back to the SLDR and have been driving the ball as well as I ever have. I just cannot straighten out the G30.

I've always had my SLDR set to a slight draw, that may have something to do with not being able to hit the G30..
CTGilley
AG
quote:
I hit the G30 great for a couple of rounds, but shortly after I started hitting a horrible slice with it. Went back to the SLDR and have been driving the ball as well as I ever have. I just cannot straighten out the G30.

I've always had my SLDR set to a slight draw, that may have something to do with not being able to hit the G30..
I am having the same problem with my new driver. It drives me nuts. If there is any money on the line (or pride), I put my old driver back in the bag.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.