Getting custom fit for clubs...

5,360 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by khaos288
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
To me, it makes the sense that you don't get fit until your swing is generally correct and repeatable.
On his show this morning Hank Haney said to get fit before lessons.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
To me, it makes the sense that you don't get fit until your swing is generally correct and repeatable.
On his show this morning Hank Haney said to get fit before lessons.

I took this approach two years ago and now think it was wrong. Fitting involves proper lengths, shafts, lie angles, etc. some of those things will change with swing adjustments, but others won't at all. If I were to do it again if have been properly fit from the beginning.

Edit: took approach of the first quote. Agree with second.
jja79
AG
Taking lessons with ill fitted equipment and then having to redo all that after fitting makes no sense to me.
agracer
AG
but if you swing like a rusty gate, you really need to get that down before getting custom fit.
Whoop04
I am assuming a person that has never swung a club. I can't imagine the lie angles etc are going to provide useful info the second the instructor changes the spine angle, throws out the baseball grip, positions the ball in the center of the stance and not off the front toe, etc, etc. I could be wrong, but I would imagine at that point the person would need to get re-fitted.
jja79
AG
When it comes to golf equipment, instruction, etc you guys may be right and Hank Haney may be wrong, but it makes no sense to me to take lessons first.
khaos288
AG
quote:
When it comes to golf equipment, instruction, etc you guys may be right and Hank Haney may be wrong, but it makes no sense to me to take lessons first.

Yeah, how can you even practice a swing with a club that's too short or two degrees upright? You'd just develop awful habits.
Whoop04
Would you mind commenting on my point above that the lessons to correct your swing would change the numbers taken during the fitting, therefore requiring a second fitting? Maybe then, that's the answer: get fitted, get lessons, get fitted again.
khaos288
AG
quote:
Would you mind commenting on my point above that the lessons to correct your swing would change the numbers taken during the fitting, therefore requiring a second fitting? Maybe then, that's the answer: get fitted, get lessons, get fitted again.
If you get fitted, they aren't going to just watch your hunch back posture and misaligned ball placement. They are going to get you lined up correctly (especially if you tell them you haven't taken any lessons yet and are new to the game). At that point, you are going to be as close as you can get based on the body and measurements as any fitting is going to get you.
Pignorant
AG
For Club Champion, can they have a fitting session and then re-adjust my current irons?
singer10
AG
I believe they will do that. If they won't, they still give you a detailed spec sheet and you can take it to a different club shop and they can do it for you.

I just did the full bag fitting at Club Champion in Houston last week and it was a really good experience. I'd highly recommend them for a fitting. As others have said though their pricing on the clubs is quite high once the fitting is all said and done. I was able to buy the shafts, grips, and club heads for about half the price I was quoted at Club Champion.
Whoop04
Good post. I think you might be right. I guess it depends on how much of a fitting depends solely on physical measurements and how much depends on the idiosyncrasies of an individual's swing. I don't know the answer to that.
khaos288
AG
quote:
Good post. I think you might be right. I guess it depends on how much of a fitting depends solely on physical measurements and how much depends on the idiosyncrasies of an individual's swing. I don't know the answer to that.
If you get lessons, they're not going to build you a non-standard swing. So if you get fitted by your measurements and they assume you'll be learning a standard swing style, I'm guessing they'll get very close.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I guess I have always misunderstood this. So is the fitting more related to your body proportions than your swing? I have never done it because I feel like my swing is still a work in progress
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
khaos288
AG
quote:
I guess I have always misunderstood this. So is the fitting more related to your body proportions than your swing? I have never done it because I feel like my swing is still a work in progress

Yes. If you're playing with clubs that don't fit you body, half your efforts will be correcting problems from bad equipment
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.