Arnold Palmer

1,961 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jonj101
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read a few articles this week that mention his health is deteriorating, as well as a Global Golf Post one that made it seem like he won't be around for his tournament next year. I've also heard he won't be hitting the honorary starting tee shot at the Masters this year.

I'm not big on celebrities, but he is one that I wish I could meet in person. By all accounts I've come across, he is sincere and engaging with everyone he meets. I have an old newspaper photo of him petting a dog in the middle of a tournament. Looking back, I wish I would have made it out to the Insperity event out at the Woodlands to shake his hand and maybe get it signed.

1208HawkTree
AG
I agree 100%. We were at Pebble this summer (didn't get to play, but we stopped and looked around some on our way to SF). The lady in the proshop said he was there somewhere, and I immediately turned into a little kid, walking around looking for him. At one point I thought I saw him come out of the hotel and I started running across the putting green, only to find out it wasn't. I was convinced that I was going to meet him finally that day but it didn't happen...
Ags77
AG
Great man. He says he will try to be at the Masters just to hang around for a bit. I hope to see him there. He will be missed when he is gone.
boxcar
AG
He is truly the King, shame a few top 20 players skipped his Tournament this week. This would never happen a few years ago. He will attend the Champions dinner at Augusta and be present on the first tee but will not hit the ceremonial tee shot with Nicklaus & Player that 'starts' the Masters each year.
AustinCountyAg
Who will hit the shot when all 3 pass away?

Tiger, Phil, Bernhardt, Faldo,?
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
Who will hit the shot when all 3 pass away?

Tiger, Phil, Bernhardt, Faldo,?
Maybe Tiger should start in that role now?
Ags77
AG
I would bet Tom Watson is going to be asked to join the first tee group in the future. Tom is going to play in The Masters again this year.
booradley
AG
quote:
I would bet Tom Watson is going to be asked to join the first tee group in the future. Tom is going to play in The Masters again this year.

I would bet not. And hope not.

Too many issues. Too many controversies. Not a popular guy in the golf world.

I don't think tom will become a member like jack and arnie did.

I still haven't forgiven tom for what he did to Gary McCord.
Ags77
AG
Tom is VERY popular at Augusta National.
Ags77
AG
Forgot to make that a reply post
jonj101
I know this is a bump from months ago, but I got to meet Arnie at Latrobe Country Club. They actually have a Stay and Play where you can spend the night at one of the homes owned by the club and play the course. I bought the picture I had with me to the course the next morning in case I saw him so that I could request an autograph. After playing the front nine I stopped in for lunch and they sat me at a table next to a window. I look out the window and see Palmer sitting in a cart talking with a few people. The waitress told me I could go and meet him when he came in for lunch, but I told her I wasn't going to bother him while he was eating.

After a little while, he came in and sat at a table with his brother Jerry, Doc (his assistant for a number of years), and another guy. When they got done eating and were about to leave, the waitress told him there is someone who would like to meet you, and I got up and introduced myself, told him where I was from, and I was glad to be there. He asked how I liked the club, and gladly autographed my picture. I then took a pic with him, Jerry and Doc.

When I left to go play the back nine, he was talking with the head pro, and watching a number of juniors tee off on the first hole. I played through the back nine and got to 18. The tee shot for 18 is downhill, and over the main road/entrance for the club. Arnold actually lives directly across the street from the club, so each day when he goes over he drives a golf cart across the street and down the club entrance. After I hit my tee shot I head down the cart path, and he's coming up the club entrance road to head back home. He waves and stops, and asks me how did I like the course. I told him I had fun and it was excellent, to which he said "Great!" smiled, waved goodbye and went on his way.

Despite the fact that age is definitely affecting him and severely limiting his mobility, his passion for the game and meeting people was evident to me. While we were eating lunch they had the golf channel on, and he was transfixed on it, and got excited while watching a few shots of players making/missing putts. He seemed to enjoy watching the junior players tee off and stopped a few times on the road to watch them play as well. The head pro said interacting with him was just like interacting with one of the guys, except of course its Arnold Palmer. Even though we just chatted for a little while, he came across as a nice, genuine individual. He's the only person I've ever asked for an autograph, and he appeared more than happy to do it. Glad I got a chance to experience it.

Mr.Bond
AG
Drinking an Arnold Palmer right now
AustinCountyAg
quote:
I know this is a bump from months ago, but I got to meet Arnie at Latrobe Country Club. They actually have a Stay and Play where you can spend the night at one of the homes owned by the club and play the course. I bought the picture I had with me to the course the next morning in case I saw him so that I could request an autograph. After playing the front nine I stopped in for lunch and they sat me at a table next to a window. I look out the window and see Palmer sitting in a cart talking with a few people. The waitress told me I could go and meet him when he came in for lunch, but I told her I wasn't going to bother him while he was eating.

After a little while, he came in and sat at a table with his brother Jerry, Doc (his assistant for a number of years), and another guy. When they got done eating and were about to leave, the waitress told him there is someone who would like to meet you, and I got up and introduced myself, told him where I was from, and I was glad to be there. He asked how I liked the club, and gladly autographed my picture. I then took a pic with him, Jerry and Doc.

When I left to go play the back nine, he was talking with the head pro, and watching a number of juniors tee off on the first hole. I played through the back nine and got to 18. The tee shot for 18 is downhill, and over the main road/entrance for the club. Arnold actually lives directly across the street from the club, so each day when he goes over he drives a golf cart across the street and down the club entrance. After I hit my tee shot I head down the cart path, and he's coming up the club entrance road to head back home. He waves and stops, and asks me how did I like the course. I told him I had fun and it was excellent, to which he said "Great!" smiled, waved goodbye and went on his way.

Despite the fact that age is definitely affecting him and severely limiting his mobility, his passion for the game and meeting people was evident to me. While we were eating lunch they had the golf channel on, and he was transfixed on it, and got excited while watching a few shots of players making/missing putts. He seemed to enjoy watching the junior players tee off and stopped a few times on the road to watch them play as well. The head pro said interacting with him was just like interacting with one of the guys, except of course its Arnold Palmer. Even though we just chatted for a little while, he came across as a nice, genuine individual. He's the only person I've ever asked for an autograph, and he appeared more than happy to do it. Glad I got a chance to experience it.

A billion blue parachutes for you
beb06
AG
I got to meet Arnold also earlier this year at Bay Hill. He was very personable and he even made a joke about his health. Was an awesome experience to meet him!
CapCityAg89
AG
F you guys.

Ok. That is seriously cool. I met Byron Nelson in the early 90s at a book signing (he autographed his book for my grandfather - "from one octogenarian golfer to another") but didn't really get to talk to him. Treasure that memory. He wasn't the GOAT but few changed golf for us masses the way The King did.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Oh I'm going to get fried for this.

Arnie is the greatest ambassador of golf. No other golfer has done more for the game than arnie. None.

But there are stories of his wild young womanizing days..anecdotal mostly and some in print that are hard to find...where he was chased out of the house at gunpoint by an angry husband etc.

We idolize some celebrities and we crucify others.

Were his younger days that different than what Tiger did...and hundreds and thousands of other traveling professional athletes?

Of course, the way Arnie finished out his career in the spotlight of goodwill and charity work is why he is adored by all of us. And that dang Pennzoil commercials.
jonj101
I don't disagree with that. From older golfers I've heard some stories about Palmer, Nicklaus, Couples, O'Meara, Tom Watson, etc.

I didn't mean to make it seem like I idolize anyone - as I said before I'm not big on celebrities and I don't go around getting autographs. At the end of the day people are people, regardless of what they acheieve or gain we are all imperfect. I just thought it was cool to meet someone who despite doing a ton for the game and experienced all types of achievements, still carried himself and interacted with people as an everyday individual.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.