at what age did you take up golf?

3,462 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by boy09
oldschool87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm 51, sorta started at 3. My dad bought me a plastic set of clubs with very thin metal shafts... Every day he had to clean the balls out of the gutter.

Finally cut down a 2 wood and a 2 iron blade. I played and carried those 2 clubs for a couple of years..

I was lucky enough to live across from a golf course. So golf to us was just natural.

As kids we could go play golf, golf in the 70,s. Was more of a Saturday Sunday thing for the adults. We could go play a 2 hour football game on the course and never be interrupted.

Just different then vs now. But both my college boys play and pretty well I might add.

It's a game for life!!
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
14, started because my best friend had a severe case of scoliosis and had to wear a back brace all the time, so he couldn't play other sports.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Can't remember the exact age. Guess it was 12 or so. Didn't get serious about it and play more until after football was over 6 years later.

Some of my favorite rounds were walking at Hancock 9-hole course in Austin during the summer, right after graduation and just before starting my first job out of school. Felt like my own private country club getting to play by myself and getting a job.

Every couple years since I was 12 I've played more and more. The most I've ever played was 2014. Working on getting back out there again more. Greatest sport in the world. My other favorite rounds are all with my brother and dad.
MarylandAG
46!!! I'm 46 now, started playing about 4-6 months ago because a cousin talked me into going. I'm terrible at it, and I mean terrible, but I love it. I live in the Cypress area and go hit balls at the Cy Lakes course, that course is used by some of the high school to come practice, Cy-Woods, Cy-Falls, a few others, and even some of the kids from Prairie View A&M come practice there, I see these kids and it seems to come so easy to them because they started young, wish I'd of done the same thing! I'll just keep hacking away.
dodger02
AG
Started around 10 y/o swinging dad's old Acushnet Titlelist irons in the yard. Took some b.s. lessons with a family friend who was a golf pro but not very patient with kids. That sucked. Did a month of golf camp at about 13. Played some in junior high. At 17 & 18, I played every day during the summer and could regularly shoot in the 70s at my home course before going off to college.

Quit for about 10 years with the only exception being one semester of golf at A&M my senior year.

Drank beer. Got fat.

Played some evening twilights with work friends. Sucked...but would occasionally break through and win our twilight competitions.

Now, trying to fit it back into my lifestyle while juggling priorities with work, a wife & kids.
boy09
AG
12ish? Sometime around 6th or 7th grade. That's just what all my friends did. Get out of school, someone's mom gives us a ride over to the Muni, play til sundown.

I was terrible all through Jr. high and high school, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I played while in college, but really started playing a lot after college.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Played a few rounds when I was younger, but started playing consistently in April 2015. I'll be 24 this April, so maybe by the time I hit 50 I'll be decent.
WestTexAG
AG
8 or 9, and I still suck! Best index I've ever had was a 12, and today its a 15.5, but I love the game. Played 4 years of HS golf and probably played in about 10 varsity tourneys tops. You know how some streaky golfers can go low every once in a while? I've always been the opposite of that. In our 3 district tourneys the year I was a junior, I shot 90, 90, 125. That 125 day was by far the most miserable day I've ever experienced on the golf course. The next year I shot a 49-39 to card an 88, that day I was streaky both directions.
khaos288
AG
25. Very expensive mistake there.
REMARCH11
AG
My Dad started me at 6 and I played in my first tournament at age 9, that was 34 years ago.
I started my oldest son at 5, he is 12 now and has been playing tournament golf for the last 4 years. Started in U.S. Kids Golf (don't recommend), played North Florida Junior PGA and VSGA (Virginia State Golf Assoc), we are now back in Texas and playing NTJPGA events.
I also have twin boys that play as well. Started them a little later at age 7, they just turned 9 and start their first real tournament season this weekend.

I have been playing tournament golf off and on for 30+ years and I love it. It is the greatest game! Never to late to start. I'll drive anywhere to play and I'll play with anyone. If you ever need a 4th for a tournament or just need someone to fill your group. PM me and I'll come down, I'm in Dallas now, so never to far away.

Gig'em!
boy09
AG
quote:
That 125 day was by far the most miserable day I've ever experienced on the golf course.
My worst round in HS was a 114. There was a kid there from another school who had a broken arm and was only swinging with 1 hand. He shot a 112...

I was terrible in HS, I played more just to get out of school than anything.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.