A&M Golf Camp

2,203 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Cedar09
Lungblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone here have experience with or opinions on A&M's golf camp for kids?
boinger89
AG
Both my kids went. They had a good time. What I remember is there is not as much golf as you would think at a golf camp.
jja79
AG
My son has been the last 3 years and loves it. He's met lots of kids he stays in touch with.
Lungblood
quote:
Both my kids went. They had a good time. What I remember is there is not as much golf as you would think at a golf camp.

This is my concern. I'm looking for focused golf instruction, not summer camp.
CapCity12thMan
AG
depends on age, but golf camps are about fun in a golf environment, so not surprised to hear its not all golf practice. If you are looking for solid instruction, practice and drills I am of the opinion you need to go private instruction.

Austin Junior golf Academy does a huge kids camp each summer. There are various areas the kids go to - range, putting, chipping but they also have "golf baseball", an inflatable football field goal/uprights the kids try to hit soft core balls through...stuff like that. Hundreds of kids at this one - it's organized chaos.

Another camp my kids go to is at Falconhead, which is about 6-12 kids per 2-3 instructors so there is more instruction/focus but still - there are parts that aren't. A portion of one of the days is about rules and general etiquette. Kids were shown the Tiger Vs. Scott US Amateur match where I think late in the round tiger forgot to move his mark back and Scott reminded him to do so...so the lesson was sportsmanship. He mixed in the video, some instruction and a good lesson for the kids which I thought was great.
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:

This is my concern. I'm looking for focused golf instruction, not summer camp.

This is not a knock on the camp as I've sent my son the past 3 years and he's going again this year, but if you want hard golf instruction do something else. You're going to spend $1,500 on this camp which gives them 3 days of some golf and lots of social time and connections. My son takes lessons from the pro at our home club, this is more about meeting other kids, having a great time and learning some independence by spending 3 days away from home.
Lungblood
Gotcha. Many thanks
Cavender Neutze
AG
I was a counselor there a few years ago. Basically, every day they'll go through a circuit of drills where there will be a coach at every station, along with a few counselors. While they'll get some instruction there, part of it depends on the kid. The more questions they ask and the more they pay attention, the more they'll learn.

Every day they'll go out and play a scramble type format for nine holes. Most kids have a great time with that and it gives them a chance to play a great golf course.

As stated above, there's also a lot of fun things for the kids to do. Water balloon fights, pizza parties, ping pong, hanging by the pool etc.. They make a lot of friends and most come back year after year. One kid even said it was all he was going to ask for at Christmas.

Your kid would get more instruction from private lessons, but they'll learn some good stuff and have a lot of fun playing the game. Just my two cents.
Mr.Bond
AG
I went when it was the John Jacobs golf school
G-Town Cracker
AG
quote:

That's when I went too. I also went to the longhorn camp and remember them both being more fun than informative.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
quote:

That's when I went too. I also went to the longhorn camp and remember them both being more fun than informative.

I went to tus as well. Unfortunately it was the year before they opened their golf course so we all played at the Haney course
tbone94
AG
Are we talking about brad lardons Gil academy summer camp on campus, or traditions golf camp?
jja79
AG
Neither. The Texas A&M golf camp.
Cedar09
I went a long time ago to A&M and OSU for golf camp. It was fun. OSU was better in my opinion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.