Club adjustment question

1,007 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TheGreatScott12
TheGreatScott12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Guys,

I purchased so used 714 MB titleist irons and realized they're about half an inch short. This isn't the biggest deal in the world as I am just shy of 6 feet tall but I want to get them extended to standard link. my thought was if its only have an inch couldn't you put some kind of extension in the grip to avoid having to buy all new irons. My buddy who has some knowledge on this said he thought it'd throw off the club balance and be a bad idea. Any of you, with club fitting knowledge, have an opinion on this?

Thanks,
DadAG10
I had a 1 inch extension put in my old Hogan Radials 20+ years ago.

I would assume they are still available.

Can't remember if I also had the lie adjusted, but with only a half-inch, I wouldn't think it would matter.
jj9000
AG
Short answer = Yes, you can have the clubs extended by 1/2 inch...very easily and probably for a couple of bucks per club.

Your friend is somewhat right about the balance (swingweight). Except he's not taking into account that the irons are already -1/2" and are playing lighter than Standard.

If the irons are playing -1/2" off Standard, they should be swingweighting right around C9 (D2 is standard for 714 MBs).

If you were to get 1/2" extensions, you would be adding 3 swingweight points, and would be getting the irons to play closer to the Standard D2.

Most people can't feel the difference of (1) swingweight point...some can feel the difference in (2) swingweight points...most can feel the difference of (3) swingweight points and beyond.

Now, if this were me, I'd make sure that the shafts weren't hard-stepped into the heads (5 iron shaft in a 4 iron head). I'd do this by measuring the length from the iron on the ground (when soled) to the first shaft step. The Bottom of Bore to Ground Measurement (BBGM) for your irons should be ~1.1" to ~1.25". Measure the iron from the ground to the first iron shaft step and subtract ~1.1" - ~1.25". Then look up the iron stepping specs on your iron shaft OEMs website/spec sheet. If they aren't hard-stepped, I'd just add 1/2" extensions and be done with it.

If you are the DIY type, here are a couple of links that will help:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW1047

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_VB1009

Steps:

1. Remove grips
2. Apply adhesive or epoxy to extension
3. Insert extension into iron shaft
4. Allow time to set and cure
5. Trim to playing length
6. Put grips back on

Or, you could just take them to a big-box retailer (GolfSmith, PGA SS, Golf Galaxy) and they can do it for you.

Good Luck to You!

TheGreatScott12
AG
So just to clarify, you are saying adding the 1/2" back to my irons would add 3 points and I would be able to tell a difference? (Thanks for the in depth response by the way)
jj9000
AG
quote:
So just to clarify, you are saying adding the 1/2" back to my irons would add 3 points and I would be able to tell a difference? (Thanks for the in depth response by the way)
You're welcome...I wouldn't want you to drop a bunch of money on new irons when there's an easy fix.

Adding the extensions should add ~3 swingweight points (C9 going up to D2) per club. You should be able to feel the clubhead a little more.

D2 is Standard off-the-rack for your 714 MBs.

You could always just add an extension to 1 or 2 clubs and see if it works for you.

Do you like the feel of the clubs now at -1/2" ?

TheGreatScott12
AG
Idk that I did "feel" it at first. I definitely noticed I wasn't hitting as far as I should. I just felt like I'd lost some distance. But now that I'm aware I definitely feel it. Could just be in my head though. I'm definitely going to look into getting them adjusted. Thanks for the advice again!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.