RTJ Trail trip review

2,535 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Poot
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last weekend a buddy and I went on a trip to Alabama for a golf trip and played some of the RTJ courses.

We had a great experience. We were looking for a good golf trip on a budget and the RTJ Trail fit the bill. Everything was very affordable. The golf was great value for what it was. If you're looking for a good golf trip, I think you should consider this as an option.

If you're looking for a buddy trip that is more centered around drinking and partying with a little golf mixed in, I don't think this is a good choice. There was no shortage of decent restaurants around, but there wasn't exactly much of a party scene. We stayed in Montgomery at a place right next to the highway and we didn't really seek out a bar scene, so maybe you could find that if you were looking for it. I'd assume you'd have better luck in Birmingham or Auburn with the college scene.

Over the course of the week, I've compiled my thoughts on each of the courses we played. I'll put each course in its own post so it makes it a little easier to navigate the thread.

I mostly wanted to post this as a thread someone considering the trail could refer to and get an idea about some of the courses. It seems like every once in a while people discuss heading on this trip, so I just wanted to have this here in case someone was searching for it. Or it could be bumped if someone was asking about it.
bagger05
AG
OVERALL CONDITIONS

They obviously take good care of these courses, but if it's rained recently be prepared for some sogginess.

Everything was in pretty good shape. The greens on a couple courses were certainly not at the level where you would expect them to be in the spring and summer, but they were still fine. I didn't notice them to be outstanding or bad if that makes sense. The rough was all dormant while the fairways were green. I assume they are overseeded bermuda. Some tee boxes were overseeded and some weren't. They had gotten some rain a few days before we got there and everything was very, very soggy in the fairways and muddy in the low spots. There was one tee box across the four courses that I thought was pretty shabby -- just significantly crowned with no flat spots. Aside from that one instance and the sogginess (which was due to weather, not poor maintenance), I would say everything was in good condition.
bagger05
AG
OXMOOR VALLEY - RIDGE

A different kind of course than you're probably used to playing. High marks for fun. Not the kind of course I'd like to play every day, but you've got to play it at least once.

* I didn't play this course this time, but I've played it before. My buddy's opinion reinforced what I thought about it.

Just an awesome looking course. Crazy elevation changes on every hole. This is not a course that I would want to have as my home track, but really, really fun for what it is. Visually it can be a little intimidating with some tee shots that appear to be long carries from an elevated tee to an elevated fairway, but the course is pretty playable. Even when you hit the fairway you rarely have a flat lie. The elevation changes and the crazy lies make for a very DIFFERENT round of golf than what you're used to playing. It's a ton of fun to play, and it would even be fun to just get in a cart and cruise around the patch of earth that the course is built on. It's just a really cool piece of land.

Must play rating: It's a cool enough course that I think you should work it into your itinerary. If I lived in Birmingham and played it all the time, the crazy elevation changes would become more annoying than fun, but the course is just too different from anything around Dallas or Houston for me to want to pass up.

Walking: This is the only course on the trip that was borderline unwalkable. I rode when I played it a few years ago and my buddy rode when he played it. Both of us really prefer walking, but both of us agreed that we don't think we'd even try walking this one. Really, really hilly.
bagger05
AG
CAPITOL HILL - JUDGE

Lots of memorable golf. If they so desired, they could make this course extremely difficult, but without challenging rough it is very playable.

This is one of the most popular courses on the trail. It's very scenic and the opening tee shot is just incredible. Of the RTJ courses I've played, I feel like this is the course with the most memorable shots. There's water on 14 of the holes, so there are a lot of forced carries. Most of them, however, are not especially difficult, especially drives over water off the tee. Landing areas are all pretty generous. If they ever decided to grow out the rough, this course could be really, really hard. The way it was set up during our trip, though, it was very playable. The greens on this course didn't seem to be as difficult as some of the other courses. Just much less severe slopes and bigger landing areas on the green.

Must play rating: Now that I've played it a couple of times I don't think I'd feel like it was NECESSARY to go back again. If you are looking for a real challenge, include this in your itinerary and play a set of tees further back than usual. It's on a great piece of land and is a fantastic layout. A must play for your first time on the trail, but there's other great golf out there so not one you MUST hit on your return trip.

Walking: You have to walk down the big hill after #1 and then you spend the next sixteen holes along the river so it's pretty flat. A few long walks from green to tee and you have to walk around some water in a few places. A long walk, but not too hard of a walk until you get done with #18 and have to walk back up the hill to the clubhouse.
bagger05
AG
CAPITOL HILL - SENATOR

You won't think you're in Scotland, but if you like links style golf you will enjoy this course.

This is a links style layout. They really tried to make it links-like. There are lots of mounds and dune-like hills along the course. Pretty wide fairways. Plenty of small fairway bunkers but not too many. If you want to play a ground game it sets up nicely for that. If you like to play links style golf, you will like this course. Don't get me wrong: it doesn't have the natural beauty of a true links course, but if you like The Tribute then you'll enjoy this one as well.I enjoyed it and I had a good time, but I don't remember many specifics about the round. It was nice but the holes kinda blended together a bit. We had to sprint through this course because we teed off at about 1:30 and were racing the sun. I'm sure that took away from it, as did the fact that we were pretty beaten down from The Judge that morning.

Must play rating: Not worth scheduling anything around. If it fits into your itinerary, then play it. If it doesn't, don't sweat it. If you're at Capitol Hill this makes a good second round of the day.

Walking: We rode since we walked that morning, but it would have been a very easy walk. This was the only course where we saw a lot of walkers and it was definitely a walking-friendly layout.
bagger05
AG
GRAND NATIONAL - LINKS

Checks all the boxes. Memorable shots, fun layout, playable but challenging, beautiful setting.

This course is called "Links" but there is nothing links-like about it at all. Overall, this course was just great. You're playing among a bunch of trees and around a lake, but for the most part the trees and water don't come into play all that often. The fairways are very wide. If you hit it into the trees, you have a good chance of finding it and having a window. If you can't find it in the trees then you've almost certainly hit a really, really bad shot. Lots of multi-tiered greens on this course and some of the greens are pretty elevated. There's a really nice closing stretch to this one. 16 is a short par 3 from an elevated tee box to an elevated green. There is a pot bunker short of the green that is probably the cruelest bunker I've ever seen. 17 is a nice par 4 with a challenging green complex and a great elevated tee shot. The closing hole is a fantastic golf hole. The approach over the lake and into the elevated green is probably the best shot of the round. Of all the courses we played, this one was the one I wish I could have as a home course. Very serene among the trees, lots of great holes, and a fair test.

Must play rating: Even if you're staying in Birmingham a couple hours away, it is absolutely worth the drive to Opelika to play this course in my opinion. It was a great track and it's a good part of the foundation of your itinerary.

Walking: Not a bad walk at all. Not too many hills and the walks aren't bad between holes with the exception of #1 to #2 (which was a little long but not awful).
bagger05
AG
OXMOOR VALLEY - VALLEY

A little "ordinary" at times, but it has its moments and it gives you nothing to complain about. A very solid track.

A really solid course. Of the courses we played, this one was maybe the most "generic" feeling. All of the holes were very pretty, but I'd say on maybe 13 or 14 of the holes it seemed like you could find something similar in Dallas or Houston. There were definitely a few exceptions where you had very significant elevation changes, and a few of the holes were outstanding. Throughout the whole course you were among the trees, but like Grand National Links the fairways were all very generous and if you were stuck in the trees you must have hit a bad shot. To get really screwed by the trees you needed to get in there pretty deep. If you only got in a little ways you probably could find your ball very easily and you'd have a window to advance your ball unless you were pretty unlucky. There are lots of little ponds and creeks through the course, but for the most part they are there to make it pretty more than to add difficulty.

Must play rating: I'm glad we played it, but it's another course that I'd recommend you play if it works with your schedule and don't sweat it if it doesn't. If you're flying into and out of Birmingham, it's a good course to play the day you arrive or the day you leave.

Walking: It was really easy to walk with one VERY SIGNIFICANT exception. The 18th was a really difficult hole to walk. The hole is uphill, but you also have to walk through this gully to get from the tee to the fairway. This was really the only hole where walking was a problem, but that one hole alone was almost enough reason to want to ride it next time. If I was playing it again I'd still probably walk, but it would depend on how I was feeling that day just because of that one hole.
girlgolfer12
Nice write-up! Was debating between RTJ or Palm Springs for my golf trip this year. Found a great deal for Palm Springs that includes hotel and unlimited golf, so went that route. Can't wait to do RTJ!
AgLA06
AG
Great wright up.

The third capital hill course was our favorite of the three.
AustinCountyAg
Pics?
Goodfield Nohit
I road tripped to the Auburn game last year and play them all.

They were all in good shape. Fall/spring golf in Alabama is the tits.

jonj101
Thanks for starting this bagger. It would be nice if we can bump it from time to time with individual reviews and maybe pics.

Im hoping to get to Mobile this year, so maybe I can play the few in that area when I do so. I did play the par 3 course (I was just getting into golf the last time I was down there), and it was more memorable than a number of regular courses I played.

I can't wait to hit the trail.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Great wright up.

The third capital hill course was our favorite of the three.

I have played the Legislator on a previous trip and the only thing I really remember about it is that I don't remember anything about it. It's among the trees but for the most part I remember it being very forgettable. It's been a long time, though, and full disclosure we drank a LOT of whiskey.

When we picked places to play I wanted my buddy to play the Judge since it's one of the main attractions on the trail and I wanted to give the Senator a shot.

Forgot to mention they play an LPGA event on the Senator course. The Barbasol PGA event (second tier event same weekend as The Open I believe) was at Grand National Lakes last year which I've also played on a previous trip. I remember the course being beautiful but don't remember a lot of the golf aside from plenty of water and beautiful scenery.
ElCheAg
AG
Thanks for sharing, bagger. It'll come in handy when I plan a trip.
Poot
Good write up bagger...

I tend to agree with most everything you had to say except for the Legislator at Capitol Hill.

If you're going to play 36 at Capitol Hill in Montgomery, I would play Judge and Legislator.

**Editorial comment** Play the Judge 1st and as early as you can. That course tends to whip people's asses and can make for a REALLY long round. If You get out there early (8 AM) you have no such problems**

As for the Legislator, it starts off with a bit of a parkland style feel and ramps up. The front 9 is solid golf with a few really cool holes. Then you drop down off the sky bridge for the back 9 and some of the best holes on the complex follow. The stretch of holes from 10-16 are pretty awesome golf holes with a combo of elevation and holes cut through the swamp.
bagger05
AG
I can't disagree on The Legislator as I don't remember much about it. If you decide to skip The Senator you aren't missing an unforgettable experience or anything. Based on the comments here it sounds like the reason it was forgettable had more to do with the whiskey than boring golf. Judge+Legislator sounds like a fine pairing.

I also agree about playing The Judge early. We were the first tee time and we literally did not see another person from the time we left the starter to the time we made the turn. And we weren't exactly making good time. We weren't playing slow but it is a pretty long walk.
AgLA06
AG
As noted, I completely agree. We made the mistake of playing the legislature first. It was a great balance of great golf course architecture and views. We loved how they utilized the creek / ravines.

After the opening tee shot on the judge it was pretty bland golf, but with good scenery.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Excellent thread!
TXAGGIES

Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
GRAND NATIONAL - LINKS

Checks all the boxes. Memorable shots, fun layout, playable but challenging, beautiful setting.

This course is called "Links" but there is nothing links-like about it at all. Overall, this course was just great. You're playing among a bunch of trees and around a lake, but for the most part the trees and water don't come into play all that often. The fairways are very wide. If you hit it into the trees, you have a good chance of finding it and having a window. If you can't find it in the trees then you've almost certainly hit a really, really bad shot. Lots of multi-tiered greens on this course and some of the greens are pretty elevated. There's a really nice closing stretch to this one. 16 is a short par 3 from an elevated tee box to an elevated green. There is a pot bunker short of the green that is probably the cruelest bunker I've ever seen. 17 is a nice par 4 with a challenging green complex and a great elevated tee shot. The closing hole is a fantastic golf hole. The approach over the lake and into the elevated green is probably the best shot of the round. Of all the courses we played, this one was the one I wish I could have as a home course. Very serene among the trees, lots of great holes, and a fair test.

Must play rating: Even if you're staying in Birmingham a couple hours away, it is absolutely worth the drive to Opelika to play this course in my opinion. It was a great track and it's a good part of the foundation of your itinerary.

Walking: Not a bad walk at all. Not too many hills and the walks aren't bad between holes with the exception of #1 to #2 (which was a little long but not awful).

One of the few reasons which make living in Columbus, GA bearable. If anyone is coming to the Auburn game next year perhaps we can set up a outing there
Poot
Extra blue star for Grand National. That entire complex is just top notch. It is Big League Golf.
Hoyt Ag
AG
quote:
CAPITOL HILL - SENATOR

You won't think you're in Scotland, but if you like links style golf you will enjoy this course.

This is a links style layout. They really tried to make it links-like. There are lots of mounds and dune-like hills along the course. Pretty wide fairways. Plenty of small fairway bunkers but not too many. If you want to play a ground game it sets up nicely for that. If you like to play links style golf, you will like this course. Don't get me wrong: it doesn't have the natural beauty of a true links course, but if you like The Tribute then you'll enjoy this one as well.I enjoyed it and I had a good time, but I don't remember many specifics about the round. It was nice but the holes kinda blended together a bit. We had to sprint through this course because we teed off at about 1:30 and were racing the sun. I'm sure that took away from it, as did the fact that we were pretty beaten down from The Judge that morning.

Must play rating: Not worth scheduling anything around. If it fits into your itinerary, then play it. If it doesn't, don't sweat it. If you're at Capitol Hill this makes a good second round of the day.

Walking: We rode since we walked that morning, but it would have been a very easy walk. This was the only course where we saw a lot of walkers and it was definitely a walking-friendly layout.
I hate this course with a passion. In my old job, I took a lot of people to play RTJ courses and one client always wanted to play this one over The Judge.

I have played all you listed and a few others. Good write up. My favorite courses are Ross Bridge, Valley and Judge, personally.

For those that are planning trips or might plan a trip to RTJ courses, be sure to call the reservations hotline and ask what specials they have. They have unadvertised ones occassionally and also will discount multiple rounds when booked in advance. I made a lot of trips with a Friday 3pm round, Saturday at 7am and 1pm, Sunday at 8am. Easy to schedule and they were usually discounted ~20% I think.
bagger05
AG
Curious:

1. Why do you hate it? I can see it not being your thing, but I didn't find much about it that was too objectionable.

2. Why did your client prefer this one to The Judge? If he wasn't a very good player I can see how the lack of water and forgiving tee shots could be attractive. Other than that, though, a bit of a headscratcher.
AgLA06
AG
Probably because it is a completely different look and type of round from all the normal golf he plays.

Not everyone is enamored with the judge once you get beyond the first hole.

The marshal I talked with said tourists play the judge, locals play the other courses.
kwammer
I strongly dislike the Senator, but that is probably b/c I have spent hours looking for balls in the long grass just off the fairway.
The upside is it is a different setup than anything else on the trail and is a nice change of pace after playing the Judge in the morning.

Poot
On the Senator... Afternoon rounds in the summer are a total beatdown as there is literally zero shade.

It hasn't besn mentioned yet on this thread, but Silver Lakes up in Gadsden is a fun place because it's far enough off the beaten path of the trail that you have the place almost to yourself. There's a very light marshal presence as there is almost no one out there. 27 holes plus a fun 9 hole short course with A LOT of shot value... And like I said, you pretty much have your run of the place. It's a nice change of pace from the golf factory that Capitol Hill is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.