Wedge Help

1,739 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by raidernarizona
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Morning Gents!

I recently got fitted and bought new irons. Added a putter this weekend, slowly building my bag. I have room for 2 more clubs. The only wedge I have in the bag is my Cleveland Tour Action 588 49 degree.

The Aeroburner PW is 43 degrees. I shoot low 90's so shoot me straight if I don't need to concern myself with more than a SW for now. But , if I add 2 clubs, does it matter if I go with a 52 and 56 vs.a 54 and 58? I realize I may be too much of a hack for it to matter much now, but I intend to keep playing and wanted some knowledgeable input.

Btw, I'm looking at the Callaway Mack Daddy 2's. Really like the looks and feel of the slate. TIA!!!
jj9000
AG
Well...at the bottom of the bag it's about managing your distance gaps, and what you feel most comfortable with on greenside pitches and chips. There's an old rule of thumb (completely subjective, BTW) that says 4*-6* separation at the bottom of your bag is the best range for covering distance gaps.

Your bag:

PW = 43*
GW = 49*

If you get a 52*, you'd only have a 3* difference between the 49* and the 52*. You might see very similar distances and results from those (2) clubs.

In my opinion, the better option would be the 54* - 58* set up as it would have you gapped better.

That's just my opinion though.

FWIW...I play a 50* - 54* - 58*

Good Luck to You!!
DadAG10
If you currently have a 43 & 49, I would look at adding just a 54.

That would give you good spacing between clubs and the 54 can be opened for more loft if needed.

raidernarizona
Thanks JJ! That's very helpful!

My follow-up question would be, would I benefit from having a LW and adding a 54* and 60*, as opposed to the 54* and 58*?
raidernarizona
I like that option too DadAG. Would free up an extra $100 to put towards my driver fund.
jj9000
AG
This is just my opinion, and I'm pretty sure the guys on here that bag a 60* will disagree.

But, I think you can do just about as much with a 58* as you can a 60*.
khaos288
AG
Just had the exact same problem. Ended up with a 54 and 60. I like lobbing them in off the tall grass though
bagger05
AG
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
This is just my opinion, and I'm pretty sure the guys on here that bag a 60* will disagree.

But, I think you can do just about as much with a 58* as you can a 60*.
As someone that plays both, I agree.
raidernarizona
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the input!
Elmo Lincoln
AG
43* PW? We used to call that a 9 iron.
CTGilley
AG
I currently have a 50* 56* & 60* Yes I know the gapping is off due to already having the 56* and getting a good deal on the 50* and 60*. I will fix it at some point.

That being said I do very different things with all three.

It is personal preference but IMO a 60* comes in handy on some of these hard Texas greens.
07fta07
AG
quote:
I currently have a 50* 56* & 60* Yes I know the gapping is off due to already having the 56* and getting a good deal on the 50* and 60*. I will fix it at some point.

That being said I do very different things with all three.

It is personal preference but IMO a 60* comes in handy on some of these hard Texas greens.

You can bend it for $5
Whoop04
quote:
Morning Gents!

I recently got fitted and bought new irons. Added a putter this weekend, slowly building my bag. I have room for 2 more clubs. The only wedge I have in the bag is my Cleveland Tour Action 588 49 degree.

The Aeroburner PW is 43 degrees.

I would consider bending the 49 down to 48 and buying a 53 and 58. That would give you more consistent loft gaps.
Mr.Bond
AG
I carry 4 vokeys 46,50,54,58

If I were you I'd add 54 and 60. Like JJ said you want consistent gaps in your Wedges. I personally think you need something with a little more loft than just 54 but that's my 2 cents
AgsNguyen
AG
My PW is 45* and GW is 50*. I settled with 54* and 58* wedges. Not hard to slightly open the 58* if needed for flop shots, but have a little more distance with the 58*. I assume this is individual, but 60* always seemed harder to hit flops or from tight lies than the 58*.
Poot
How far do you hit that 49*? I ask because the utility of a 60* can be minimal vs a 58*.

The bounce they have on them is something to consider too...

If you were really only going to get one more wedge, I'd consider a 56* over a 54*. I've played a 54* before and you REALLY have to dress it up to hit high pitches (i.e. open of WAAY up).

Currently I have 52*, 56* and 60*. They go 115, 105, and 95 respectively.
raidernarizona
About 110yds
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.