Getting fitted for irons in DFW - where to go?

3,052 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by mavsfan4ever
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Club Champion
Park and Preston
grego
AG
Leonard Golf Links - Steve Russell
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
jj, Club Champion OK for a mid-80s hacker? I'm not a 3 handicap.
Club Champion is good for anyone.

They really are top notch.

Now, if you plan on buying your clubs from the same place that fits you, be prepared for sticker shock from Club Champion.
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Options?

What is the clubhead and shaft combo?

Edit...I just realized you are the OP...did you get fitted today?
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
Yes, today, are you the guy that fitted me?
HAHA...No, I'm not affiliated with Club Champion.

I did, however, get fitted there recently.

What head/shaft combo did Discount Dan's say they couldn't do?
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged (2016) - left handed
NS Pro 850GH Taper Stiff

DD says the manufacturer only offers 950GH or 1150GH.

Price from DD with any steel shaft Mizuno offers is $999, vs $1700 from CC...

Yeah, I just configured a set and the closest stock offering you'll get to the 850GH is the 950GH.

If you wanted to get even closer to the 850, you could have Discount Dan's order the irons with 950s soft-stepped once or twice (putting a 5 iron shaft in a 6 iron and trimming to length to fine tune the flex).

The shaft profiles of the 850 and the 950 aren't that far apart. Not sure if the weight would bother you though.

Here's the shaft profiles...like I mentioned, soft-stepping would get the 950s close to the 850s in flex...but not weight:

http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/nippon-shaft-n-s-pro-steel/

Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
It looks like the differences between the 850 Stiff and the 950 Regular are MINIMAL, with only 3 grams in weight. Am I missing something?

No, you're not, and its a good observation. 950S to 950R is the equivalent to soft-stepping (3) times (each soft-step is ~1/3 of a flex).

In fact, if you take a look in the comment section of that link, you'll see the guy who tested these answer a similar question.

quote:
The last two weeks have been busy, sorry I did not see this until now.

Yes, the 850S and the 950R are very similar. With the weight of the 850 being close to 10 grams lighter. Stiffness is close.
If it were my money, I'd save the $700 + Tax.
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
Thanks for your help jj.
You bet...anytime.

Good luck to you!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Golf nerding out up in here.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Is the sticker shock better at Leonard Links? I'm planning on heading out there in the next month or so. I'd prefer to just buy from them and be done with it, but obviously don't want to spend 7-800 more than i need to.
bagger05
AG
At Leonard Links you are going to pay what you would pay at ****'s or Golf Galaxy, etc. Club Champion all the cost almost always comes from their shaft recommendation and if memory serves they build the club in house and charge a fee for that as well. Leonard Links orders direct from the manufacturer.
Post removed:
by user
bagger05
AG
Going somewhere that you get fitted as part of the club buying process for no charge and then you turn around and hit up Discount Dan's to save $50-100 is a shady thing to do, but that's not how Club Champion really operates.

At Club Champion, you are paying them $100/hr for their time. I don't think you should have any problem being up front with them and say that you are looking for the best stock shaft option so that you can stay within a certain budget.
Post removed:
by user
bagger05
AG
Yeah I think you are making the right call. I was speaking more in the general sense for people going through this in the future.
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
At Leonard Links you are going to pay what you would pay at ****'s or Golf Galaxy, etc. Club Champion all the cost almost always comes from their shaft recommendation and if memory serves they build the club in house and charge a fee for that as well. Leonard Links orders direct from the manufacturer.
Got it. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.