Phil's gambling being discussed again

1,755 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LHIOB
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.golfwrx.com/349578/mickelson-rips-ruffels-for-revealing-wager-amount/

So Phil apparently played a round with a 17 year old potential future tour player (or he might have already turned pro). The kid talked about how he beat Phil, how he did it and included amounts. Phil wasn't too happy about this.

I'm not a gambler, but I would think that bragging to the media on how much coin you took off an elder statesman probably isn't the best way to begin your relationship with your fellow competitors. Guys at my course gamble all the time, but I typically don't hear them bragging in the locker room on how much they roasted someone else.

That being said, I seem to recall a story coming out a while ago how when Phil beat Nick Watney over in Europe, he hosed him because Nick tried to pay in dollars and he wanted pounds - and I don't recall Phil expressing annoyance when that story got out. I could be wrong, but it just strikes me that Phil is more annoyed that its now public knowledge a kid beat him than anything else (5K is nothing to Phil).
salvatore_ditmars
all of the media commentary i have seen on this has basically been "bad form on the kids part. you brag about this to your friends, not to the local newspaper"
Ag_07
AG
Eh...It's no secret Phil likes to wager from time to time (and by time to time I mean all the time) so no big deal.

There have always been stories about home much he loses and wins so who cares. It was gonna get out that he lost the round anyways, so the money is no biggie.

My favorite Phil gambling story is when a fellow tour pro's wife was interviewed (maybe Fred Couple's wife at the time) and asked what their favorite thing to do in their spare time was, she replied, 'Going to Vegas and sitting at the high limit baccarat table with Phil. We don't even have to be playing but just watching Phil play is so much fun.'
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
He's a young kid getting his start. Media started asking questions and it just rolled in to that. Sure, bad form, but he doesn't have any experience and didn't see that line of question coming. Phil is just pissed because the kid beat him and he had to pay up.

Just a rookie mistake. Bet a young Phil would have been crowing about beating someone like Ray Floyd or Trevino.
El Mero Guero
I like it, Phil's a cocky SOB and a bit of an a-hole when it comes to playing for money. What goes around comes around. You just got served by a kid who still lives with his mom and can barely grow peach fuzz. DEAL WITH IT. Maybe he won't be gambling with minors again.

PS- I like Phil...I just also like this
LeFraud
FIGJAM

LHIOB
AG
Earlier this year after a tournament Speith was in the booth with Faldo and Nantz. Faldo invites Jordan to play with him for a practice round at The Old Course...he then tells Jordan to bring his wallet because they are playing with Phil. It was pretty awesome.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
FIGJAM

Also, "he hit that ball down the f***ing road" is a all time favorite quote.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.