Horseshoe Bay

1,320 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bigfoot10s
aggiedent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went there this past weekend with a couple friends, my first time there. We got to play Ram Rock and Apple Rock. We could have played Summit Rock on Sunday but were too tired.

We did not stay at the resort, we stayed at a friends house, which is on the little island at the end of the road past the resort. She has membership privileges at numerous courses in Austin, Houston, and other states.

I really enjoyed the courses, but I have always loved courses with changes in terrain. Apple is more scenic, but I liked Ram better, probably because I hit the ball better that day and putted lights out.

Anyways, for those that haven't been, it was a great golfing trip. My wife hit the spa in the resort and enjoyed that a lot.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Good golf. Traffic in/out blows
Turf-Ag02
AG
We played Summit Rock back in September and what an awesome course that is. Hate to hear that you guys didn't play but hope you will make it back again to play that course.
agsalaska
AG
Those courses are a topic on this board from time to time. I am fortunate enough to have a sister that is a member. I get to play there 4 or 5 times a year. Even though it is older now and as a resort destination have more competition today with the TPC, La Cantera, Barton Creek, etc. I still believe that RamRock is one of the hardest courses in Texas. I know all of the Rock courses are getting to be older designs and do not necessarily play to the length of most championship courses today, but Ram is just fine at 7000 yards. That course is just relentless. They really do not make them like that anymore.

We go a couple of times a year and spend the night. Horseshoe Bay is just a great relaxing place.

Apple Rock is beautiful, and Slick Rock is a nice fun pretty easy course.
jonj101
Before I hurt my wrist last year I played there and got a chance to experience all four courses. Summit Rock and Apple Rock have the best views, Slick Rock to me had the most charm or character and was fun to play - although I think it is being renovated now. It just a felt like a fun classic course. Also, Summit Rock has some pretty nice halfway houses instead of cart girls, and they are stocked pretty well. Summit I think is a Nicklaus designed course, and it was similar to the three other Nicklaus courses I played - good views, some tough holes, but somewhat lacking in fun or character.

However the weird thing is I shot my best score of the week on Ram Rock. I am nowhere near a player, but from the time I stepped on the first tee of that course looking downhill, I just felt a comfort or relaxation I mostly don't experience when I play golf. I remember there being a rake on the right side of the sand trap on the left side of the hole, and I chose my target line as over the rake, relaxed and swung, and it went right over it. I got a par on the first hole and the round was off to a nice start. I wish I could get that feeling more consistently when I play golf.

All that aside, the best rates I see on Horseshoe Bay are often on TexasGolfon.com. I haven't played Barton Creek of La Canterra yet, but I think value wise it would be hard to beat Horseshoe. I even enjoyed Horseshoe more than TPC in San Antonio.
Baby Billy
AG
Played all of them. Ram Rock is still one of the hardest courses I've played in Texas but probably my favorite

Summit rock was awesome
magnoliaag
My daughter played a practice round at Ram Rock last weekend for an upcoming tournament. She has played a lot of golf courses and that is by far one of the most difficult.
CapCity12thMan
AG
If elevation changes are your thing, plenty of other courses in Austin to consider.
Biggame12
AG
Summit Rock is the best one of those courses. Don't miss it next time !
bigfoot10s
AG
Played Apple Rock in December at our coaching convention. Really enjoyed it, look forward to next year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.