Torrey pines

3,698 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quite a few posters out here have, including me. I played both the north and south, and they were both beautiful and in great shape. The north is easier to get on and significantly cheaper since it doesn't have the PGA Tour/US Open factor (and its easier to score on), but don't let that fool you too much - it's still a great course. But it's also hard to pass up playing the south where one of the all-time great US Opens was played. I'd recommend hitting both if you have the time.
AgDotCom
Hopefully you'll have better weather than today. Get a load of this, especially Colt Knost's putt....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/terrible-weather-is-making-pro-golfers-look-like-a-bunch-of-amateurs
Post removed:
by user
ORAggieFan
I play it regularly, usually the North. I was out at the tourney Friday.
the dude10
AG
Next week is the national golf tournament, trade show and meetings for golf course superintendents. Being hosted in San diego this year with Torrey pines north and south among the host courses. I am playing the north course on the final day of the tournament. Any tips from you guys who have played it before? Weather looks like it will be great next weekend
ORAggieFan
BTW, the North is about to close, I believe for a year, for the remodel. Will make it very hard to get on the South.

Tip - stay below the hole. Greens are brutal, especially downhill. Greens break toward the ocean.

The 5, 6, 7 stretch on the North is the best three holes on either course.

skippytimmy
AG
I have played it a few times, and it is in my opinion, the most overrated course in America.

Yes, when the tourney is there, it is in great condition. When the tourney isn't there, they let it go. Staff is usually terrible, and the course is REALLY boring. The views are spectacular, but the course is boring.

My 2 cents.

skippytimmy
AG
I played the Crossings at Carlsbad a couple of months ago, and it was a lot more fun.
ORAggieFan
Wow. I've played The Crossings as well and there is no comparison. Obviously with the volume they get they can't have it look like it does for the tourney, but most of the time it is close.

That said, the best public course here is Aviara (hold LPGA tourney there in March). About the same price as the South is for non residents.
the dude10
AG
I will actually be playing the first round at aviara, the second at la costa and the third at Torrey pines north. Thanks for the tips, I am really looking forward to it! Do they grow up the rough on the north course as well right now for the tournament or should it be more playable?
ORAggieFan
They usually leave it in tourney condition at least a week after. I think I closed near the. So I'm guessing they keep the rough up until the remodel starts.

I played the last day before they closed for tourney last year. Three hour front nine the rough was so nasty.

Just remembered I heard they will keep open during remodel, unlike what the plan was last year when they pulled the plug at the last minute.
Mr.Bond
AG
Went out there last may and didn't have time to make an effort at getting on. We had a tee time at the crossings the next day and I absolutely loved it. I'm a native Texan so the elevation changes at the crossings was really cool to me. Would have killed to get on Torrey though, I did put down a few hundred in the golf shop though.

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2624622/replies/42991145#42991145
malenurse
AG
quote:
BTW, the North is about to close, I believe for a year, for the remodel. Will make it very hard to get on the South.

Tip - stay below the hole. Greens are brutal, especially downhill. Greens break toward the ocean.

The 5, 6, 7 stretch on the North is the best three holes on either course.

BigHitterDaLama
ORAggieFan is spot on. Lived near there for 8 years and just moved out of state. The south, before or just after the tourney, is as ridiculous as you can ask for a golf course (view, history, conditions, etc.)

Having said that, Aviara is one of my favorite courses. Perfect pace of play, impeccable service, quality of the course is top notch.....just amazing.

Maderas is not too far away either. Always makes top 100 public courses in the country.

Siednote - Play the South from the Blues (not even the tourney tips) and walk it. Imagine doing that for 5 straight rounds like Tiger had to in 2008 on the cracked leg. It aint easy with two healthy legs. Really made me appreciate him winning the US Open that year.....
1208HawkTree
AG
Most will say walk the course if you can to take it all in. I will say walk if you normally do or can walk 18 easily. I played last June and decided to walk. I never walk anymore. I used to walk 36-54 holes a week, but haven't walked 18 pushing or carrying a bag in 10 years.

When I play a casual round with friends every few weeks, I get the feeling around hole 14-15 where I wish it wasn't almost over. That is at a course I could play any day of the week, any week.

About hole 13-14 of Torrey Pines South, a once in a lifetime round on a top 100 course, I was ready for it to be over. The FRONT of my lower legs were even cramping up. I cramped up in my downswing on 17 tee. The terrain isn't terribly severe, but there is A LOT of up and down between greens and the next tee. I drove down from Long Beach, and on the drive back I was cramping up in gridlock traffic.

It's a beatiful place and every golfer should do it if you have the chance, but take a cart if needed and don't miss out on the last few holes like me because I could hardly stand up, let alone make a decent swing.
ORAggieFan
I'm sure some saw, but some massive trees fell all over the course last night.
DallasAggie89
AG
quote:
I have played it a few times, and it is in my opinion, the most overrated course in America.

Yes, when the tourney is there, it is in great condition. When the tourney isn't there, they let it go. Staff is usually terrible, and the course is REALLY boring. The views are spectacular, but the course is boring.

My 2 cents.

Amen brother
beb06
AG
I'll be in San Diego in March and plan to golf one day with my brother-in-law (we're both bogey golfers). It will be a Sunday morning. I have a ClubCrop membership - any of these ClubCorp courses worth playing? Or should we pick something else?

Bernardo Heights
Morgan Run
Shadowridge
Omni La Costa
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:

My 2 cents.

Amen brother

I'm guessing you guys hit irons dead straight off the tee every hole? It isn't tricked out, but it is the hardest course I've ever played even though it doesn't look hard.

Small fairways with impossible rough. Forced carries over canyons. Don't even get me started on the greens and green side bunkers.

I will say that the conditions are always tournament difficult when I play it every year as it is usually the week of 4th of July when they are hosting the world juniors.
aggiebrother33
quote:
quote:

My 2 cents.

Amen brother
I have been blessed to play some pretty spectacular golf courses, and I couldn't disagree more. Hands down top 1-2 courses I have ever played and not just because the name. It is a traditional, true test of golf which unfortunately aren't around anymore. I played it in September which isn't near the tournament time and both courses were in fantastic shape, and I felt the staff was great. Only thing I can guess is you must have caught an off day, and I have a friend who travels there for work once a quarter and plays it often and he agrees in his top 3 and he has played the plantation course in Hawaii...
1208HawkTree
AG
This was taken last June in the middle of the worst drought in record in California. If anyone thinks this is terrible, they are crazy.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
This was taken last June in the middle of the worst drought in record in California. If anyone thinks this is terrible, they are crazy.

Considering Torrey a muni, it is even more of a joke. I'm always amazed it is in as good of a condition as it is when I play.
Post removed:
by user
oldschool87
AG
South or don't go!

Don't hit it in the rough!

Ball breaks towards the ocean, really the west sun. When I say it breaks towards the ocean, I mean if you have a 10 foot putt with 2 feet of break to the left and the ocean is on the right, it's still going right.

Par 3, 3? Don't remember which hole, never left the stick, 15 feet past the hole, ocean directly behind me. Downhill right to left, left it 8 feet short!!!!
ORAggieFan
quote:
I'll be in San Diego in March and plan to golf one day with my brother-in-law (we're both bogey golfers). It will be a Sunday morning. I have a ClubCrop membership - any of these ClubCorp courses worth playing? Or should we pick something else?

Bernardo Heights
Morgan Run
Shadowridge
Omni La Costa

La Costa is the best of that group.
watty
AG
quote:
Ball breaks towards the ocean, really the west sun. When I say it breaks towards the ocean, I mean if you have a 10 foot putt with 2 feet of break to the left and the ocean is on the right, it's still going right.

Not starting to be a jerk or start something, but stuff like this bothers me. The ball breaks towards gravity. Always. Not towards ocean or away from mountains or anything else. Towards gravity. If the break looked 2 feet left and the ball broke right, it's not because of the ocean. It's because your eyes got tricked into thinking it was breaking left but the green actually slopes right.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

Not starting to be a jerk or start something, but stuff like this bothers me. The ball breaks towards gravity. Always. Not towards ocean or away from mountains or anything else. Towards gravity. If the break looked 2 feet left and the ball broke right, it's not because of the ocean. It's because your eyes got tricked into thinking it was breaking left but the green actually slopes right.

Gravity, sure. But, way the grass grows can make a difference and it's much easier to use the massive body of water than to describe angles of grass.
oldschool87
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow, tell you what!

You use that logic. I will play you at Torrey pines for a 1000 dollars!

Ever heard of grain?
bagger05
AG
I thought Torrey Pines greens were poa annua which doesn't really have grain.
watty
AG
quote:

This. And even grain doesn't make the ball move uphill.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:

This. And even grain doesn't make the ball move uphill.
I've made more than my fair share of putts that broke uphill.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.