The Falls

1,977 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by C ROC N
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I last minute decide to go out and play at The Falls yesterday......greens and fairways were in good shape. Tee boxes weren't very great. Of course me and my playing partner were 2 of the 4 that were on the course all afternoon. It really makes you wonder how the course is still open. Driving Range is only open for players who have a tee time, and they charge $10 for use of the range. Very nice course that gets no traffic. Ever. Not to mention the recent kiddie water park and all the condos out there. It is like a resort dream gone bad.

All things considered I got my butt kicked out there like always, but enjoyed it none the less. Its nice being able to drive twenty minutes to a well manicured course and play a round not having to worry about people in front, or behind you messing with pace of play.
AggieT
AG
I love that course. I have absolutely no idea how they make money.
AgDotCom
Pretty sure the most recent owner who bought it in the 1990's after it went tits up is (or was) loaded.

Not sure if the owner is the same now.

Great course and fun to play regardless. One of my favorites.
agsalaska
AG
I think the last time I went out there was in probably 2004. It was an awesome course and I wondered the same thing. How is it still open?
jonj101
I'll try to add insight to what I know about it and some of this may be a little incorrect, but its pretty much what I gather from a guy whose family own a house on the course.

The course was taken over by Dave Swalm and his wife in the 90's before he died in 2008. What I know for a fact is by many accounts, Swalm was an awesome individual. I've spoken with people who used to work at chemical plants/facilities that he owned and they spoke about how he empowered every single one of them and how they had never had such amazing leadership, or haven't since. They spoke like even to this day they would run through a wall for the guy. Swalm and his wife set up a foundation and gave a lot of money to MSU (his alma mater) and a number of other causes, in addition to taking on the golf course as a retirement endeavor.

Anyways from what the guy told me, is that there is an agreement between the HOA and whoever, that as long as there are occupied houses on the course it must remain open. I don't know all the legal details, but that's what he said. In addition to that, apparently Swalm's widow still lives there (I think her house is supposed to be the one near 1 green/2 tee box), and I think money from the foundation as well as from the Swalm fortune can be used to support the course as well. So while I have no figures of revenue in the red or anything like that, I'm just thinking that at the current time, they're not heavily dependent on green fees to make the ends meet.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Interesting story jonj. Last time I was out there was probably 4 years ago or so and like those above I was one of 3 groups on the whole course, and this was a Friday at 9am. I follow them on FB; looks like they recently redid a green (#6 I think) and made a couple of other improvements, so they're getting money from somewhere.
AustinCountyAg
yes the green that they fixed in the summertime just reopened a month or so ago. It was the par 4 with the uphill green on side of the big hill. #6 is correct.
Jaytoke
AG
My former firm appraised it for the estate in 2008. It is basically endowed and does not make money.

Really neat course.
Sazerac
AG
I met the widow right after her husband died when I played out there last. Pieces of what she told me match the above story.

One of the hardest courses I've played.
agsalaska
AG
This thread will make me drive out there when the weather gets better.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Agreed about difficulty. Have never had a good round there. Alot of lay-up type tee shots on the front 9; that #6 they just redid always ate my lunch.
AustinCountyAg
I've always found #7 the toughest for me. After the lay-up off the box you're left Choosing to hit a 185 or so shot where you must carry a lake or choosing to go over a tall oak tree always gets in my head. Usually I decide to go under the tree. Ha

If you can get the hot deal on golfnow it's hard to pass up on the falls. I only play it once every couple months for the simple fact it always kicks me in my balls and I get depressed about my game
AggieT
AG
There are several trees out there that I would love cut down. I agree on #7.
Jaytoke
AG
6 and 7 and 8 are really a tough stretch.
C ROC N
Played out there about 3 weeks ago with my son that's in high school. The course was in great shape ,but they had just over seeded the greens. I managed to shoot a 77 from the stones. It was my son's first time to play the track so he struggled a bit ,but only saw 1 other group all day! A hidden TX gem. It was our home course in high school, but back then it had bent grass greens. You think it's hard now, back then it was no joke,lol!!
agsalaska
AG
We should have a Texags outing there.
JFrench
AG
Played there earlier this year. Group of around 30. 4 rounds Friday thru Sunday. Perfect for that type of get together with the housing. I thought it was extremely reasonable price wise as well. First time out there and was impressed.

The course destroyed me too. All 4 rounds. The greens were fast and deceptive. So were the drinks though.

Neat story above of the history.
C ROC N
I second a TXAGS outing or informal golf scramble out at The Falls! Sounds fun!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.