Travel bags?

2,683 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
Aggie1391
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any recommendations for good travel bags. I'll be flying Singapore air to Malaysia if that makes a difference. Flying out Friday so need something I can find in the store.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Get a hard case. I learned the hard way that airlines (at least AA) doesn't cover damages if your clubs are in a soft bag.
Mr.Bond
AG
Without question get a hard case. Well worth the money. This is what I got

Samsonite Golf Hard-Sided Travel Cover Case, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UFRKX2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WUOswbMATGVDM
Ag_07
AG
My soft case with a club saver has worked well.

Whatever you go with make sure it has a hard bottom so it stands easily and don't pay full price for a fancy one from a retailer. Check out budgetgolf.com or rockbottom.
DallasAggie89
AG
Club Glove

eot

Matsui
AG
Club glove b
Have the last travel case need to buy model
Get a daal rods or club glove stick for it

Eot again
jonj101
quote:

Samsonite Golf Hard-Sided Travel Cover Case, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UFRKX2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WUOswbMATGVDM
I picked this one up as well, and it is great.

I don't foresee having to purchase another one.
92TXAG
AG
quote:

I ditched ClubGlove for this one...quite satisfied.
bagger05
AG
Depends on the circumstances.

Hard case would be fine for me if I was just going to a hotel and playing golf at the resort then flying back home.

There are definitely times where I've met up with a buddy or two and we piled into a rental car and played a few different courses in different towns, which required us to take everything with us. In those circumstances, I am glad I didn't have a hard case because the hard cases definitely take up more room. When I went to Scotland, the three of us all piled into a minivan and if we had hard cases for our clubs then I seriously doubt that we could have fit everything in.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Depends on the circumstances.

Hard case would be fine for me if I was just going to a hotel and playing golf at the resort then flying back home.

There are definitely times where I've met up with a buddy or two and we piled into a rental car and played a few different courses in different towns, which required us to take everything with us. In those circumstances, I am glad I didn't have a hard case because the hard cases definitely take up more room. When I went to Scotland, the three of us all piled into a minivan and if we had hard cases for our clubs then I seriously doubt that we could have fit everything in.

Definitely something to consider, but so is having plenty of room in a car with broken clubs on your golf trip.
bagger05
AG
I've flown with my clubs quite a bit and never had problems with a Club Glove and a Stiff Arm.
HouAggie
AG
I did some research on this a few years ago and from what I recall, among the avid golfers who traveled regularly, it was nearly unanimous that Club Glove plus Stiff Arm ("Last Bag" was the most popular model) was the way to go. The hard cases are just too difficult to fit in the average vehicle. I believe you'll find that most, if not all, pros travel with a soft bag like a Club Glove.
Ag_07
AG
The soft bags are great because I ca fit other things in them. I load it down with crap that won't fit into my luggage bag. All kinds of zipper pockets to fill. As long as it's under 50 lbs you're good.

I stuffed clothes, shoes, beach towels, hats, etc into my travel bag and saved weight (or sometimes saved me from checking another bag).
92TXAG
AG
all good points...

I switched to the hard case when the airlines changed their policy of how they handle clubs that they damage

Also, re the point about tour pros, they don't fly commercial...
bagger05
AG
quote:
all good points...

I switched to the hard case when the airlines changed their policy of how they handle clubs that they damage

I bet lots of them fly commercial a lot. I think lots of guys kinda go in together to do charters from one tourney to the next, or the sponsors do charters for them, but I bet there are plenty of occasions where a player takes a week off and has to get from home in Arizona to a tournament in Florida. In those cases I bet pretty much everyone except the super rich guys just flies commercial.
CapCity12thMan
AG
get a hard case, but get the smallest one possible to fit everything. I got a larger one and it sometimes ended up being a pain more trouble that it was worth.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
quote:
all good points...

Plenty of pros fly commercial. The more important distinction is that they don't pay for their clubs.
jonj101
Let me also add that I dont have a staff bag, but I have a cart bag for my golf bag. In that case there is plenty of room left in my hard case for extra clothes, etc. For those of you who have the staff bags, well I dont know if there is any room for other stuff.

Also, one of the things I noticed (in addition to club protection) was how much luggage gets beat up at the airport. I know the leather for some of the soft cases is very strong, and it depends on if you get a dark color or light color, but I would hate for after a few trips to see marks all over my travel bag. I know its insignificant, but it annoys me.
booradley
AG
club glove last bag.

its called last bag for a reason.

also recommend having your name embroidered on it. will cause the thief to think twice.

ive traveled all over the world with it and never had a problem.

I've seen other people with hard cases have a hard time getting them in the trunk of a rental car...
jonj101
Looks like I was wrong about the Samsonite case.

There are six wheels at the bottom of the case. Two of the wheels are embedded into the bottom backside of the case so that you can lean it over and pull it like standard luggage. When I got my bag at the airport I saw that the wheel well for one of those two is tore completely at one side, and is hanging down. I can even see the padding at the bottom inside of the case. I have no idea how this could have happened.

I'll see what Samsonite says, but if it doesn't workout I may have to try the last bag.
1208HawkTree
AG
I saw first hand how the change of policy with the airlines carried over to how they handle golf bags - or maybe they changed the policy BECAUSE of how the luggage handlers do their job.

On our trip to Long Beach, we were pretty late getting on the plane. As I sat down in my seat, I see our bags sitting on top of the baggage cart before they loaded them. Then, I see a guy grab my (soft) travel bag and chunk it cartwheel-style onto the conveyer belt.

We land in OC, and I sit to watch them unload the first few minutes while the crowd thins out, and I see another guy throw my clubs about 5 feet into a cart, then throw two big-ass suitcases ON TOP OF MY CLUBS.

Thankfully my clubs survived but I think the only thing that saved them was the metal broomstick I had in there and four towels I wrapped around the top and middle section of my bag.
Matsui
AG
Yup. Standard operating procedure nowadays.
REMARCH11
AG
Please take my advice here, buy a hard shell case, do not even think about it. I own both but will only fly with my hard case. I learned some very tough lessons!

Missing clubs, broken shafts, cracked heads, and the airlines are not 'Johnny on the spot' with the reimbursement's, well at least 10 years ago they weren't.
BigHitterDaLama
Club Glove Last Bag and Stiff Arm.......Ive had a broken arm before so it did its job. The bag is the best hands down.

Went on a guys trip to Savannah and I was the only one with a hard case. Takes up too much room, even in a mini van.
bagger05
AG
If you go soft case I highly recommend you get the Last Bag even if you have a carry bag. I got the Burst Proof II which is designed for carry bags and it is a very good bag, but it's a tight fit. I think I would've liked the extra room from the Last Bag.
BigHitterDaLama
Would add that when not traveling, I dont put individual sleeve covers over my irons but theyre great for travel to prevent getting chatter. I also put a generic putter cover over the scotty so it doesnt take a tear or rip in transit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.