What to buy for my son

1,779 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by OKC2003
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I used to play golf fairly often, but I haven't played in about 8 years now so I have lost touch with whats new and cool.

Long story short, my 23 year old son (class of 15) bought himself a set of clubs last summer from Academy because they looked cool and were cheap. Turns out, he bought a set of Seniors clubs and he thinks they are too short. He took golf as a Phys Ed class at a&m and the instructor suggested he get a set for his size. He is 6'3" and pretty atheletic other than not being good at golf.

He has put the word out to me and his grand parents that he would like new golf clubs for Christmas.

Where is a good place to look for clubs that will fit him short of having a custom set of clubs made?
-
El Mero Guero
I may get flamed for this, but I would get him a standard set of clubs (standard length and lie) and see how he likes them and maybe get them retro-fit in the future if need be. Being closer to the ball will help him. Most amateur's get clubs extended way too long and don't crowd ball enough while most pros, even many of the tall ones, use standard to +0.5" clubs and crowd the ball.

I know this is a driver, but same principle applies imo. Most amateurs would be standing and leaning much further from the ball. And using a longer driver thinking that's what they need because they are 6'3" and the grad student at Golfsmith told them that's what they need.

I would get him standard everything for his first set and let him see how he likes them. Unless money is no object. Chances are they will suit him just fine.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
I would get him standard everything for his first set and let him see how he likes them. Unless money is no object. Chances are they will suit him just fine.

Buy a used standard set of any of the major brands.

They can be adjusted later if needed.
El Mero Guero
Also, I realize everyone is different but I learned to play with somewhat thin cavity backs about 6-7 years ago. I then upgraded to game improvement irons (Ping G-10's) because I was told by everyone that this would help my game. After two more years I tested some Mizuno MP-64's and ended up falling in love with them. I generally shoot anywhere from 80-90 and some people probably think I am crazy for owning these clubs which are just short of blades, but they have helped me improve my ball striking significantly. I think part of this is because they forced me to focus more on good contact (even though they are much more forgiving than I ever would have imagined) and the other part is that I just feel better with the thin sole at setup compared to the bulky look and feel of a GI iron.

I am almost to the point of recommending forged "player irons" to many beginners. There's not a huge difference in forgiveness imo and I think it encourages better play over time and is worth the possible slight learning curve in the beginning.

I still have really bad days, but I improved noticeably within months of switching from Ping G-10's to MP-64's. Just something to consider.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Standard clubs may be fine while he is learning but if he's 6'3 and begins to play a lot he will want length added. I'm 6'3 or 6'4 and got a half inch added and think I will ask for a full inch when I buy a new set of irons in the near future. My sw is standard length and I can tell a noticeable difference between it and my other clubs (even taking into consideration that a sw is shorter in general).

Again, probably not worth the hassle now if he doesn't play much. But he will want to get them adjusted in the future.
mavsfan4ever
AG
You could always just get a gift card and let him go hit some clubs and pick them out. Or have him go pick some out before Xmas and tell you what he wants. The surprise factor may not be as good, but it would let him pick exactly what he wants.
johndelin
AG
Have you asked him what brand or anything he wants? It sounds like he bought the wrong first set and now he wants a redo. Either way, he needs a good starter set to see if he's actually going to develop a drive and love to play. I agree with buying the standard or if anything get +0.5. Don't get anything shorter than standard for him.

Best thing to do is go to a pga superstore and spend 2-3 hrs there just hitting clubs and see what works for him. He will probably want cavity back irons since they have a larger sweet spot and more forgiving. Make sure they are steel shafts too not graphite I'm sure he can swing fast still if he's in college and he will want that. If you find what he likes, check eBay and buy USED! It will save you about $100-$400 depending on what he is after.

If he develops a love for the game, he will actively go out and research to find what his next purchases will be.
AgLA06
AG
While it's always nice to surprise someone for Christmas, you will be doing him a disservice by not letting him hit different clubs before buying.

What looks cool or works for one person doesn't always work for another.
agracer
AG
quote:
and pretty atheletic other than not being good at golf.

and he's different from every other golfer how?
shotcaller1
AG
You have the choice to buy new "starter" or "boxed" clubs vs used "real" clubs.

As someone who did the exact same thing at one point, i.e. buy the crap box set, my advice is go with the used, older "nicer" clubs. This is assuming he's past the trying it out stage. See sample comparison below:

Boxed set: $150 - $400

Used (quick ebay searches): $540

910 ap1: $260
910 F: $50
910 d2: $80
2 vokey sm4: $100
white hot pro: $50

As an added benefit, he'll look almost like a titleist club ho.

With some bidding and searching, you could drop that used price as well. I'll admit, it's part of the fun.
shotcaller1
AG
Oh and make him put those beauties in the bag his boxed set came with
Oyster DuPree
AG
Playstation 4
Just an Ag
AG
I don't think you need to pick out a set for someone else. Get a gift card and a send him to Golfsmith for a fitting (send someone else along who knows at least a little about clubs so he isn't misled with nonsense). If he wants to upgrade above the cost of the giftcard then that is up to him.
Prexys Moon
AG
Lots of used sets of clubs on ebay are either a half inch or an inch long, and a little upright. If he is 6-3 get him a used set of Titleist Ap1's that are a half inch long. Perfect starter set and he will still like the clubs when he gets better.
OKC2003
quote:
Also, I realize everyone is different but I learned to play with somewhat thin cavity backs about 6-7 years ago. I then upgraded to game improvement irons (Ping G-10's) because I was told by everyone that this would help my game. After two more years I tested some Mizuno MP-64's and ended up falling in love with them. I generally shoot anywhere from 80-90 and some people probably think I am crazy for owning these clubs which are just short of blades, but they have helped me improve my ball striking significantly. I think part of this is because they forced me to focus more on good contact (even though they are much more forgiving than I ever would have imagined) and the other part is that I just feel better with the thin sole at setup compared to the bulky look and feel of a GI iron.

I am almost to the point of recommending forged "player irons" to many beginners. There's not a huge difference in forgiveness imo and I think it encourages better play over time and is worth the possible slight learning curve in the beginning.

I still have really bad days, but I improved noticeably within months of switching from Ping G-10's to MP-64's. Just something to consider.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.