Houston National

2,060 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by cjsag94
cjsag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I played Houston National last Thursday. My normal courses were booked with tournaments and I didn't feel like spending $75 for Blackhorse on a weekday afternoon.

Anyway, every time I play Houston National, I swear I'll never play again! The greens are nice, the tee boxes are playable, but the fairways and rough are horrible. I think the drought a few years ago killed the grass, then erosion rutted up the course. It appears they never filled it in, and weeds/st. Augustine grew back in its place, so the likelihood of bad lies is high!

The gas carts are in desperate need of tune-ups! And with the ruts, need some ATV suspension.

Lastly, $45 weekday/$55 weekend gets you round of golf, lunch, range balls (off of mats), and a coke/draft beer.

I hope the Sterling (private) side is much better. This was now officially my last time to play there...which is such a shame as it is a unique and challenging layout.

I just don't understand how a course stays open in that condition.
Ag_07
AG
Right there with you on everything.

I had heard from somewhere that it had bounced back finally. Guess not

Also I think you can get GolfNow deals for $55 that lets play all day with a meal
aggiedent
AG
quote:
. This was now officially my last time to play there...which is such a shame as it is a unique and challenging layout.

The first time I played the course it amazed me. The rolling hills reminded me of other parts of the world. Strategic use of creeks and ponds made it so natural looking. Great bunch of challenging holes and a great finish on 17 and 18. It could have been stellar but they ruined it by building cracker box houses right up against the course. I also heard that the mounds have been maintenance nightmares which contributed to the poor condition. Of course they almost went bankrupt which didn't help.

I'm like you, I love it but I don't want to play there again.
RCL1
I played it this weekend and thought it was in good shape. There were some thin areas in a few spots but I enjoyed the course. Greens were perfect! They regrassed #2 and it turned out great.
HouAggie
AG
Each time I've played it the past few years it has been in better shape than the time before. It's probably been six months or so since I've been out there, but I felt that they're heading in the right direction.
Poot
I live one mile from the course and I refuse to play there.

The crazy thing is that it's not a conditioning problem for me (except for the rough fairways), but everything else is garbage.

The help, the layout, and the general atmosphere is crap. I've never played a course where it's as easy to hit it in a FRONT yard as HN.

Pass
Icecream_Ag
S
doesnt one of the guys that works there post that they are in the planning stages of a major overhaul (or maybe that was just for #2)???
Oknows
AG
Lose more balls there in one round than in half a dozen on any other course. Condition is getting better, but the layout can be a bit irritating.
Lukeno
AG
The atmosphere is part of the reason I enjoy playing there...

While the fairways are in (and always have been) horrible shape, the greens have been running very well as of late.

I attribute most of the issues to a lack of water/maintenance... but I don't blame them for using most of their resources to keep Sterling in exceptional shape (especially when the public side is already slam-packed Friday through Sunday).

It's a fun course to play, but certainly not very forgiving to the novice player..

jja79
AG
By atmosphere do you mean the planes coming in to land across 290, the buzzing from the gigantic electric lines, the roar of 290 traffic or something else?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
By atmosphere do you mean the planes coming in to land across 290, the buzzing from the gigantic electric lines, the roar of 290 traffic or something else?
the college co-eds having a pool party
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
I hope they get it together over there, I'm no super but it seems like all they need to do is water the damn grass. The layout is tough but I liked it the one time I played it. Greens were great.
Ag_07
AG
Although the course may be lacking condition wise I will say that the bar/grill with the patio out by the range is solid. Everytime I've played there's been some smoking hot cougs hanging out drinking wine during the evenings.
jja79
AG
Do they have a pool?

Anyone played the private Sterling side? Opinions? That's one of the reciprocals we have now that construction of the new course at Houston Oaks is underway.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Do they have a pool?

Anyone played the private Sterling side? Opinions? That's one of the reciprocals we have now that construction of the new course at Houston Oaks is underway.
houses along the course

IMO the HN side is a better layout, but the Sterling side is in much better shape.
jja79
AG
I assume Sterling is really busy too due to location and being lower cost compared to other private facilities. Is it pretty busy?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I assume Sterling is really busy too due to location and being lower cost compared to other private facilities. Is it pretty busy?
Not a member so not sure, but never really backed up that I've ever seen. May be a little congestion at the turn when everyones loading up on beer, but thats it.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
IMO the HN side is a better layout, but the Sterling side is in much better shape.

Totally agree.
cjsag94
AG
Unfortunately, it just needed water about 5 years ago. Now, it needs many dump truck loads of dirt, new grass, and water.

The course is mentally challenging. Between the houses, hills, and creeks/water, you have to really think about your shots and execute well, or you will lose balls, strokes, and sanity.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.