Let's talk push carts

2,813 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at the ClicGear 3.5+

Question for my fellow walkers: what do you like about push carts? What do you not like?

Any opinions on specific models?
BEaggie08
AG
I have this CaddyTek:

It's got a drink holder, umbrella holder, a place for my phone, keys, and Copenhagen. It has a netted area for balls and/or a scope, a scorecard holder, and it has a place for tees. It also has a cooler on the bottom that'll hold a few beers and some ice. It's easy to push and it folds up easily.

The part I hate is the actual walking. I tend to ride in the summers and walk in the fall, winter, and spring.

The Clicgear is nice. I lot of people us those, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
K Bo
AG
I have an older ClicGear (I think it's a 3.0) that I like but if I'm honest it spends 99% of it's life folded up in my garage. While I do enjoy the storage capability I just find it more convenient to lighten my bag and carry. If carrying is not an option I would recommend the CG - great build quality, easy to fold, and enough storage for anything I need while golfing.
AgDotCom
I usually walk but if the temp gets over 98-100 I'll use my Clic gear 3.0.

It's more convenient (for me) to carry, but the push cart does very much limit fatigue, it's very light and easy to roll. I also like the storage on the Clic gear, I can put my range finder, wallet, phone etc. in the basket and it's available instantly at waist height, plus the water bottle and score card are at easy reach on the handle. I really like the footprint when folded, makes it easy to fit in the back seat of my truck and easy to load, unload and set up.
khaos288
AG
Got this bad boy for 100$ on CL
aggieiniowa
AG
The club I belong to has Sun Mountain push carts. I usually try to carry my bag, but when I have used these they are great. The first time I used it I really liked it. It was definitely way different from the pull carts from 20 years ago for sure.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Looking at the ClicGear 3.5+

Look no further than the 3.5+...it has everything you need in a push cart, plenty of accessories, and is very sturdy.

Source: The Arctic White 3.5+ that's in my garage..

Also, if you go to the Clicgear website and call the 800 number, they have refurbished carts For Sale.

The guy I talked to said most of the refurbished carts are either new or like-new.
ORAggieFan
I really like my Clicgear. My wife calls it my golf stroller. Only downside is remembering how to expand and fold it.
C ROC N
Have a 4 wheel sun mountain cart, light, small, folds easy works great.
jonj101
I have a Sun Mountain as well, however it spends a lot of time in my garage. I want to use it more, its just that in the cab of my truck I have my bag and all golf stuff organized (spare set of clothes, shoes, etc), and the Sun Mountain folded up just takes too much space to fit neatly back there.

Recently I've been looking at the Big Max Blade. If you can get past the silly Euro name, it actually has great reviews and folds up to be very compact - even fitting in a bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Max-Golf-Blade-Trolley/dp/B00FX0WFBY

Don't know if I'll pull the trigger yet though, because I still need to analyze 3 wheel vs 4 wheel.

Sooner Born
quote:
Let's talk push carts

What color is your boyfriend's golf bag?
bagger05
AG
Whatever the gayest color is.
AggieT
AG
Cream.
bagger05
att hello
My only comment on this subject: There should be no walkers allowed on any busy day and/or busy course. Yes, I've heard how the direct route beats riding in a 15mph golf cart, but I am not buying it. Without looking for a ball or puling a cart, the average person walks around 3mph.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
My only comment on this subject: There should be no walkers allowed on any busy day and/or busy course. Yes, I've heard how the direct route beats riding in a 15mph golf cart, but I am not buying it. Without looking for a ball or puling a cart, the average person walks around 3mph.
Really?

Other than the old gray hairs that are out for a stroll in the middle of the week fetching crap balls out of the water and want to stay away from home due to a harpie wife, I'd bet most walkers are way more in tune with pace of play and how to keep it up than some lazy fat ass in his 15 mph cart.

Surely you know the average golf course walk is probably about 7.5 miles so by your logic we still get done in WELL under 4 hours.
tamu2009
AG
quote:
This is bogus. I walked almost 150 rounds in the last year and a half with my Clic Gear and never slowed my playing partners down at all. If you're strolling around, then yes, you could slow people down, but most of the walkers I know, walk for the exercise as well as the flow you get in the round from walking.

Let's not forget walking was how golf was meant to be played. And if it's busy and everyone is in carts waiting on the next group to get out of the way, what is wrong with walking and slowing down a bit so you aren't standing there waiting on the next group to hit? You're not out of position and you're not having to stand there and wait getting tight, sounds like a good thing to me.

Sure some walkers can slow down pace, but throwing that generalization out is not fair at all.
tamu2009
AG
Back on topic.

I love my Clic Gear 3.5. It is very easy to push, very sturdy, and has all the accessories you could possibly want for it. I also like that you can adjust the front alignment of the wheel. I let mine go on a downhill fairway and it hit a bump and threw the alignment off a touch and it was quite easy to get back in alignment.
jj9000
AG
quote:

In most cases this is inaccurate, especially with a foursome.

It all depends on your skill level and the skill level of the (3) others in your group.

I would agree with you if the assumption was that all (4) players in the group were 30 caps and they were walking side to side all day.

However, if the collective skill level of a foursome is worth a damn, the cart pushers should play faster.

Broad generalization alert: I've noticed that the skill level of the average cart pusher is on par or better than the average rider. Most guys who are out there to kick back, shoot the bull, and pound 8 beers aren't pushing a cart. They are riding...and more times than not...they are holding up the groups behind them. The guys that are walking/pushing are out there for different reasons.

bagger05
AG
quote:
The reason that crowded courses are slow is because they are crowded.

Saying that walkers slow down pace of play is like saying that rush hour traffic moves slow because people aren't driving fast enough.

There are a few courses I've played where local geography (like the Ridge course on the RTJ trail) or a poorly designed layout (like Twin Lakes in Canton) would cause walkers to take much longer to play. Generally speaking, though, the key factors that influence pace of play are how crowded the course is, course layout, course setup, and individual habits (having a clue). Whether a person is walking or riding doesn't really register on a typical crowded course, unless it is cart path only, in which case the walkers move through the course significantly faster.
att hello
For the most part your push cart guys are the better golfers, but they do help slow down the course. They would be that much faster if they would be riding in a cart. If the box gets stacked up or you let them play through, after they tee off, now you have to wait forever for them to get to their ball.

Most of the times your cart pusher is a single, usually your college or high school golf team guys. This is another problem I see from time-to-time -- letting singles play on a busy day -- most courses will pair you up, but not all of them do.
bagger05
AG
There is basically nothing about this post that makes any sense.
quote:
For the most part your push cart guys are the better golfers, but they do help slow down the course. They would be that much faster if they would be riding in a cart.
On a busy course, a cart-rider can't play any faster than a walker. If the rounds are taking four hours, then a walker is going to take four hours to play and riding in a cart is going to take four hours to play. Regardless of whether you are riding or walking, once you arrive at your ball you have to wait. So whether you spend 1.5 hours of your round walking and 2.5 hours waiting and playing or you spend .75 hours riding and 3.25 hours waiting and playing it doesn't make any difference.

quote:
If the box gets stacked up or you let them play through, after they tee off, now you have to wait forever for them to get to their ball.
This makes zero sense. First, if the course is crowded then there's nowhere for them to go if you let them through. If there's room, then you're out of position and it's you slowing down the course. If it's a single that you're trying to let through so they can try their luck to make it through several groups and find an opening, then why are you waiting for them to get to their ball? The pace of play issue here is not that they are walking, but that you don't know how to let people play through. Lack of common sense is a much bigger pace of play issue than anyone walking.

quote:
Most of the times your cart pusher is a single, usually your college or high school golf team guys. This is another problem I see from time-to-time -- letting singles play on a busy day -- most courses will pair you up, but not all of them do.
I'm not really sure why singles --who can obviously play faster than a group-- would slow things down. But assuming they do, this reinforces what the real problem is with pace of play: bad management. All other factors, including personal habits, pale in comparison to the impact of bad management.
att hello
quote:
There is basically nothing about this post that makes any sense.
quote:
For the most part your push cart guys are the better golfers, but they do help slow down the course. They would be that much faster if they would be riding in a cart.
On a busy course, a cart-rider can't play any faster than a walker. If the rounds are taking four hours, then a walker is going to take four hours to play and riding in a cart is going to take four hours to play. Regardless of whether you are riding or walking, once you arrive at your ball you have to wait. So whether you spend 1.5 hours of your round walking and 2.5 hours waiting and playing or you spend .75 hours riding and 3.25 hours waiting and playing it doesn't make any difference.

quote:
If the box gets stacked up or you let them play through, after they tee off, now you have to wait forever for them to get to their ball.
This makes zero sense. First, if the course is crowded then there's nowhere for them to go if you let them through. If there's room, then you're out of position and it's you slowing down the course. If it's a single that you're trying to let through so they can try their luck to make it through several groups and find an opening, then why are you waiting for them to get to their ball? The pace of play issue here is not that they are walking, but that you don't know how to let people play through. Lack of common sense is a much bigger pace of play issue than anyone walking.

quote:
I'm not really sure why singles --who can obviously play faster than a group-- would slow things down. But assuming they do, this reinforces what the real problem is with pace of play: bad management. All other factors, including personal habits, pale in comparison to the impact of bad management.

You're failing to account for the contributions of walkers to the crowded and stacked issues. If the early tee times are walkers on an open course, they are adding to the issues. The later walkers might not be as significant, but they are still adding to the delays. It's no different than having bicycles on 35 during rush hour. Yeah, traffic is backed up, but those bikes would still cause additional delays. Now, what if those bicycle riders got on the road about 6am? They would have an open road, but rush hour traffic would catch up to them and they would impede traffic.

DadAG10
hello,

Where I play, Saturday mornings are packed. Roughly 30% of those walk. Rarely does a round take over 4:15 with the early groups typically finishing in under 4 hrs.

My specific group has 2 walkers and 3 riders (yes 5-somes are allowed). The 2 walkers play faster than the riders because we start walking ahead while others are hitting.

It's really not that difficult.

AG
I rarely do this, but either you are trolling or are an idiot. Your arguments are nonsensical. I know tons of walkers in a foursome that can play a course in a relaxed pace in 3.5 hours. Go back to your original numbers. 3 mph, 7.5 miles, even with time between shots and around the green, that pace of play is well under 4 hours.

I'm not even going to address the stacked course that others have so easily refuted.

Finally, if a single has ever held up a foursome, that would be the first time I've ever seen it. Nice traffic straw man argument. Just reinforces how stupid the original premise was.
bagger05
AG
You are operating on a flawed assumption that players walking take longer to play than players who are riding in a cart. That is simply not true. The only time there is a significant difference between walking and riding is when it's cart path only (which makes riding in a cart slower).

In your example, the situations aren't really analogous. When you're talking about a highway, people are spending 100% of their time driving. Most time spent on a golf course is spent playing golf, not getting from point A to point B. So assume that the bike and the car have to run errands along the way. The bike only has to make 58 stops, but the person in the car has a passenger with them and they have 80 errands to run. And on 18 of the errands, the car has to park 50 yards away while the bike can pull up directly to the store. Clearly it is not as simple as "carts go 15 mph and a person only goes 3 mph so clearly a cart is faster."

The times that a walker is slowing you down due to walking are the times when:
1. You are ready to hit
2. The walker has not yet arrived at his ball
3. The walker would have arrived at his ball by now if he was in a cart
4. There is open space in front of him so he could hit if he was at his ball

If you find yourself in this situation a lot, then I say that you play in a really weird circumstance. It is much more likely that you simply assume that walkers are part of the problem and don't ever really run into this.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I rarely do this, but either you are trolling or are an idiot.
I've considered he may be trolling. He has a bit of a history...

Still, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt on the Golf Board. We've only really had a handful of true trolls on the board since I've been around.
AG
I'm pretty patient, but it's been one of those days.

Just to derail again (sorry guys), we had a foursome in carts that gave us the stink eye at a course, where we had the first tee time, because we all were walking/pushing. They even went out of their way to drop a couple of snide remarks before we teed off. We are a regular group that plays ready golf. On the 16th hole, one of my buddies walks about 80 yards to the 14th tee to ask the guys if we were holding them up.

We nearly rolled on the tee box laughing our asses off. We finished right under 3.5 hours on a relatively shorter, compact course. It all boils down to a few idiots on the course or bad management.
jj9000
AG
quote:
You're failing to account for the contributions of walkers to the crowded and stacked issues. If the early tee times are walkers on an open course, they are adding to the issues. The later walkers might not be as significant, but they are still adding to the delays. It's no different than having bicycles on 35 during rush hour.

Our foursome was first off the box last Sunday.

4 walkers...riders had 90 degree rule off path.

We didn't have another group get within 3 holes of us.

So...yeah...early morning walkers...slowing things down and stuff.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I'm pretty patient, but it's been one of those days.

Just to derail again (sorry guys), we had a foursome in carts that gave us the stink eye at a course, where we had the first tee time, because we all were walking/pushing. They even went out of their way to drop a couple of snide remarks before we teed off. We are a regular group that plays ready golf. On the 16th hole, one of my buddies walks about 80 yards to the 14th tee to ask the guys if we were holding them up.

We nearly rolled on the tee box laughing our asses off. We finished right under 3.5 hours on a relatively shorter, compact course. It all boils down to a few idiots on the course or bad management.

That. Is. Awesome.
OKC2003
The ClicGear 3.5+ a solid product IMO.
Icecream_Ag
S
Course I grew up on is still cart path only. Path hugs the left side on most of the front, so anything right is a 30 yard hike from the cart, then searching the desert for your ball.

Walking is amazingly faster on that course for some reason.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Wow you're way off
Chipotlemonger
AG
Who are all the golf trolls? Failing to remember them.

tommee was one
bagger05
AG
Your cousin Senor Chipotle was one way back when. He and tommee are the only people I specifically remember trolling the golf board as a whole. There are several people who are Tiger-specific trolls but in general this place is mostly troll-free on normal threads.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.