Handicap Question

1,651 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by grego
Zona81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I am trying to establish a handicap after playing for many years. When posting a score, do I post my exact score or do I post the ESC score?

I'm thinking that you have to truly have a handicap before you can calculate the course handicap. So, you can't do the ESC stuff until you first establish a 'base' handicap.

CapCity12thMan
AG
you enter your score, the course rating and the slope rating....then your hdcp is calculated.

What are you using to keep track of your hdcp?
1982Ag
AG
Found an opinion online that says use max men's handicap of 9 until real scores settle in. But if I thought my true handicap was lower than 36.4, I'd probably use the max appropriate for what I thought my handicap was. Web address below.

https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/MYEWGA/01c45a91-2f06-4911-b174-bd10ac0a9a8a/UploadedImages/Equitable%20Stroke%20Control.pdf

FWIW
Zona81
AG

I'm entering my scores online on the Arizona Golf Association website. It lets you pick the course, the tees I played from. And it tells you to enter your ESC. But I've been told that I shouldn't enter the ESC until I have 20 scores entered.
Zona81
AG
Thanks '82. That's the only place I've seen that paragraph on what to do before you get a handicap index.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I'm not positive, but I would guess that you would enter your GROSS score for your first 20 rounds of establishing a handicap and then your ESC score after that.

My logic would be that you don't have a HC until you post the appropriate number of rounds.

Talk to your DOG or someone at your Club/Association that you are establishing your HC with, they may lower that number a bit since you can technically establish a HC with a lower number or rounds as well.

When I joined my MGA and established my HC, the DOG asked for my last 10 rounds as best as I could remember and used those to establish a HC that I could begin using.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This is a pretty cool online db for personal tracking:

http://handicap.golfdigest.com/

Not official or anything, but a quick tool.
wsjag
AG
www.oobgolf.com is a good website as well - not official (as most people here aren't tournament players) but it's a nice FREE way to track your scores as well as specifics about your game (fairways hit, GIR, sand saves) if one keeps track of that information also.

I have used it for a couple of years and it's nice to know what my handicap is rather than having to randomly guess when asked. (Of course, it's also depressing when you see it slowly trend upwards too!)
agsalaska
AG
Those a both good websites and are all you really need unless you plan on playing competively using a net format. Most people only really need to handicap so they can fill out a charity scramble form and to know how to divi up holes and even the playing field for friendly bets.

I played competitively with Chipotle in Grapevine and didn't even use a handicap. We just went off of previous tournaments played averages. And it was a pretty competitive league. other tournaments were just gross score but other flights required handicapps.

I had a real handicap in Vegas and have one now that I am a member of a club and it is free. But if it wasn't free I wouldn't worry about it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
GGA's handicap system is great
grego
AG
Most club member/guest events require or at least strongly encourage participants to have a GHIN handicap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.